1jeffgignac    7

There may be a thread out there addressing this so redirect me if this horse has been beaten....

Looking for how folks have setup pre-surf system era boats to get the best wave. My boat is 21' 6'' long and 93 inches across. I have a 200 lb. built in ballast running up the middle and a 250lb tank in each V Drive locker also built into the boat. There is generally 250 lbs. of sandbags in the bow that can be thrown around as needed depending on whether we are wakeboarding or surfing. I keep 100 lbs. of lead on board at all times for small adjustments. I have a DIY surf shaper and am also trying to determine how to best use that new device.

To answer the obvious question: I am open to getting more ballast in any form/shape/size. I really want to know how to most to effectively place it within the boat to maximize the wave my smaller boat can throw out.

Looking for very specific setups and pics if possible...

Willy.Fire    6

Take the 2 hard tanks out of the rear lockers. Replace them with 750 or 1100# bags. Use a shaper and fill both but leave a little out on the non surf side so it’s slightly listed. 250-400# up front will lengthen it.  Fill your center. 

Jake707    171

What he said.

you can run two 750s in the rear if you switch sides often.  I almost never switch to the goofy side and run an 1100 on the port side locker and 750 starboard. 750 fills right 1100 fills till just before popping up the lid of the locker. Then a under the seat fat sac in the bow. This gives a slight list but really noticeable and I’ve found gives the best wave 

1jeffgignac    7

Thanks @Jake707 and @Willy.Fire. @DarksideRgave me the same advice. From all accounts, it sound like 2,750-3,000 lbs. of ballast is the sweet spot. My rear bags were aftermarket that were plumbed in so fortunately I can just swap those bags out with larger 750's easily. Hard to imagine those big bags being full and fitting in the back lockers but it sounds like they just barely do. 

I currently have a single 750 sac in the mail that I plan to lay across the back seat and additional bow weight on the way as well. One issue I was running into with my homemade wave shaper device is that my boat was not sunk enough to give a lot of real estate for the wedge to be properly placed. With the additional weight, I will have much more flat hull surface that is submerged that would not have been before.

1jeffgignac    7

Took the boat out this weekend after having received my new 750lb fat sac. This took up the entire floor area of the main cabin. Add 250 in each back compartment with another 350 in lead/sand in the bow. We also had 6 adults in the boat with the average weight being 160+. Got a nice curl for the first time with the extra weight and DIY shaper.

Port side was EXCELLENT for my boat. It was surfable over 15' back from the platform and had a great sweetspot with the shaper and evenly weighted. Starboard wave really needed the shaper to be at its best but was still doable with listing because of the several thousand pounds of water/people/lead weight.

Will check back in as I tweak and get the best wave possible out of my older boat and can include some pictures next time.

• Like 1

Dillyrev    0
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 0:09 PM, 1jeffgignac said:

Thanks @Jake707 and @Willy.Fire. @DarksideRgave me the same advice. From all accounts, it sound like 2,750-3,000 lbs. of ballast is the sweet spot. My rear bags were aftermarket that were plumbed in so fortunately I can just swap those bags out with larger 750's easily. Hard to imagine those big bags being full and fitting in the back lockers but it sounds like they just barely do. 

I currently have a single 750 sac in the mail that I plan to lay across the back seat and additional bow weight on the way as well. One issue I was running into with my homemade wave shaper device is that my boat was not sunk enough to give a lot of real estate for the wedge to be properly placed. With the additional weight, I will have much more flat hull surface that is submerged that would not have been before.

I'm new to this scene and trying to learn whats best set up. I have the typhoon and had same issue with swell shaper. I just got a nauticurl to try along with a 1911 blade this weekend. I run 400 in rear locker and 675 in walk through compartment with a 250 in front and 250 mid. I through a 400 on rear floor didn't change anything. I guess I need more weight in rear put stock prop wouldn't allow me to anyways. I will stay on it until I dial it in and free surf.

1jeffgignac    7

@Dillyrev, the thing that I learned after combing through the forums is that even our older smaller boats can handle SOOO much weight. I was tentative to add but so much at first and now my mentality is that you only know where the line is once you have crossed it. In other words, you will know when you have to much weight because you will start losing maneuverability and increasing the chances of taking waves over the front of the bow.

If you get to that point then you dial it back until you are in a comfortable zone with a surfable wave and a comfortable ride. There are so many options between lead bags ($1/lb.), sand bags wrapped in duct tape (CHEAP), and fat sacs that with enough tinkering you will find the sweet spot. I like to leave the lead in the boat at all times and use water weight for side to side weight tinkering by draining and filling certain bags.

• Like 1

Packrat    13

Do you find that having a lot of lead in the boat affects the trailer handling when towing? Has anyone found a good spot to place lead when towing? 

1jeffgignac    7
On 7/25/2019 at 2:18 PM, gravity12 said:

What does your shaper look like

@gravity12, I have a DIY wake shaper that was made out of a suction cup handle, 90* shelf mounting brackets and a cutting board. The picture attached was the first iteration. Since then, I have  taken angle off of the wedge so it is less than 90* now.

I took angle off because the suction cups were not withstanding the pressure of the water. Angling the cutting board by using longer screws on the bottom took alot of pressure off of the suction cups especially when riding through chop. I run the boat evenly weighted side to side and slap this on. It makes a big difference cleaning up the port wave. It make a HUGE difference cleaning up the starboard wave.

IMG_0758.jpg.58e7db9c27a8762452895ff6e7240e6e.jpg

DarksideR    1,679

Yeah man. That shaper is WAY too aggressive! Closer to 45degree works much better. Glad to hear you’re having some luck with the wave

InfinitySurf    302

You may already be doing this but since I see the rope on the shaper... its best to tie that shaper to a fender or life jacket so if it comes off it will float. If you tie to the boat, it can spring back or wrap around the transom if it comes off and damage your gelcoat.

Dillyrev    0

Got my rig out this past weekend, new 1911 prop worked sweet, Nauticurl seemed to work decent, I ahd my boat listed 2-3 on goofy side so I don't think I was getting shaper deep enough. only had 2 people in boat, 275# mid, 675#goofy and 400# on port and wave was so-so.

1jeffgignac    7

@Dillyrev, your setup above more or less describes my setup before adding my recently received 800 lb sac in the  middle of the cabin. That got my haul lower in the water and allowed the DIY shaper to sink a bit deeper. I have an updated design for the 2nd iteration of my shaper but will start a new thread chronicling that journey and the mistakes I have made in round 1.

My new rule of thumb: sink the boat as low as I can go with existing ballast and potentially let some water out if the boat is crowded enough with human weight. Now both the port and starboard wave have consistent size and push without having to go back to the drawing board every time different amounts of weight are on board. Tweaking things to dial the wave in are also part of the fun of the process!

Dillyrev    0
10 hours ago, 1jeffgignac said:

@Dillyrev, your setup above more or less describes my setup before adding my recently received 800 lb sac in the  middle of the cabin. That got my haul lower in the water and allowed the DIY shaper to sink a bit deeper. I have an updated design for the 2nd iteration of my shaper but will start a new thread chronicling that journey and the mistakes I have made in round 1.

My new rule of thumb: sink the boat as low as I can go with existing ballast and potentially let some water out if the boat is crowded enough with human weight. Now both the port and starboard wave have consistent size and push without having to go back to the drawing board every time different amounts of weight are on board. Tweaking things to dial the wave in are also part of the fun of the process!

Yes I think I need a 800# also, neighbor has same boat and they only run a 800# on goofy side with no other ballast and a mission and free surf, but maybe me being 250 is hurting me some, I was going to take my beach surfboard next trip just to see if I could free ride. Still having a blast even on the rope, no one in boat wanted to go so I way over did it and was sore as hell on Monday lol.

Dillyrev    0

One other thing of note, board holder I had on boat wouldn't hold anything more then 1" thick, picked up next off of amazon and through it on top on Bimini, made a great board holder. I will have this thing dialed in by summer end lol.

1jeffgignac    7
On 7/25/2019 at 2:18 PM, gravity12 said:

What does your shaper look like

I've started a new thread that I will be updating regarding the newest version of the shaper that I finished last night.

• Like 1

1jeffgignac    7

Some of this conversation got thrown over to my other thread about wake shaping devices. Latest picture from a post work surf session:

Back lockers: 750# fat sac in each (last night was first night out swapping out 250's in back for 750's: MAGICAL!)

Center built-in: 250#

Bow: 250# sand that was too volatile to move to back of the boat (normally would not use this bow weight unless the boat was full of people

Human weight: 1 driver: 145#; 1 passenger sitting surf side: 145#

I am using a DIY wave shaper that works incredibly. As a point of reference for wave height and length. I am 6'1'' and this wave was a solid waste high. The rope length was about 18-20'. When holding on to the handle I was not at the back of the wave yet and there was still plenty of push!

IMG_0896.JPG.c0eea712b04c4ad506b3867a14db404a.JPG

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..