1jeffgignac    7

I purchased Fly High aftermarket ballast bags to go into the V-Drive lockers for my '09 Elite V C4. They were plumbed in and integrated into the controls of the boat's helm. The port side ballast bag will fill properly when the switch is flipped. When going to empty the bag, the 5 amp fuse blows immediately before the pump motor even begins running.

My initial thought is to replace the Johnson pump that is currently attached. That brings up two questions:

1. is it the ballast pump motor that is causing the fuse to blow? Why only when emptying, not filling the bag?
  2. It appears as though the style of integrated pumps that Johnson and Jabsco put out have changed from what I have and I am not entirely sure how it is supposed to plumb in. Any thoughts on the setup are appreciated.

The pictures are of my existing pump (Johnson 750 GPH). The ballast bag has two tubes coming out of the top. One is the vent that allows run off to come out of the side of the boat. I am not entire sure what the other tube leads to. The pump is on the back bottom of the bag. It is pulling water in the bottom I imagine but am not entirely sure.

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

Troy    234

Those are Aerator pumps that pump out of the bag only. the pump in would be an impeller pump located (most likely) on the ski pylon bracing. One of them is bad if it is blowing the fuse.  

1jeffgignac    7

Thank you for the information. I can't wait to take a look at the underside/backside of the boat in the lift this weekend and start poking around to figure out how everything is run and where all of the various pumps are located. I am treating the situation as a blessing. In 2010 when the pumps were installed they were all 750 GPH. I am taking this opportunity to upgrade each "empty" pump for my rear locker V-Drive bags on each side of the engine from Johnson 750 GPH to Attwood Tsunami 1200 GPH pumps. I may revisit the "fill" pumps in the off season and upgrade those so they fill quicker as well. 

• Like 1

swetpants    0

You most likely have a 'ballast puppy' impeller pump that fills the ballast and an aerator pump that empties the ballast (shown in your picture). So if your fuse is only blowing when you empty the bag, it means you need to replace the cartridge in the aerator pump or the entire aerator pump. Easy fix. Youtube it. Your impeller pump will most likely be located in your v drive compartment located under your back seat.  Thats how my 08 elite C4 is set up. 

Edited by swetpants
misspelling

superdtf    68

Seriously, get on the phone with the Wakemakers dudes.  They are cool AF, and they know their pooh.