BHamm

Bad first time out with 2007 Avalanche

BHamm    5

Well, had a bad day today.  Went out with kids and some of their friends to try the boat out.  Right off the start the belt was squeaking.  Maybe went 25' and then stopped.  Could not see anything wrong, so went a bit further and tore the belt.

Luckily i had an extra belt in the boat.  Sadly, no internet access, but figured out how to run it.  Loosened the one pulley to get it on.  but then the boat would not turn over.  Not sure what i had wrong.  Fooled around with it for awhile and ended up having to load the boat.

Now that i am thinking about it, could i have tightened that pulley to much after putting the belt on?  I really do not think i did.

Anyways, my main question, is there a way i can start the engine out of the water to try and trouble shoot this (if i can get it to start that is).

Thanks...

Looking forward to better days!

MobEnzo    51

Some people use a fake a lake. You suction it to the intake on the bottom of the boat.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-50073761-Seasense-In-Board-Flusher/dp/B002L557KK/ref=asc_df_B002L557KK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312065655587&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2433200280163109152&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1019778&hvtargid=pla-521589544206&psc=1

I have never used one, I’ve seen some claims of them not working the greatest. I added a T and valve on the intake. Connect hose up, turn water on and fire it up. It also makes winterizing easier, for sucking anti freeze in. The flush kit you linked works similar. This thread has good info on t-valve.

Jake707    171

Don’t buy a fake a lake if you plan on maintaining your boat yourself  Spend the extra $40 or so it will cost in materials and go the T handle valve set up. 

But to your question I seriously doubt you could put a belt on tight enough to hold the motor from turning over  

is the starter clicking or are you getting nothing when turning the key? Check the main fuse by the motor, check and wiggle the throttle to make sure it’s in neutral, check the safety kill switch  just a couple quick checks to start till you report back what it’s actually doing  

BHamm    5

Hmm. I have this on my boat...  Is that what i need to run it out of the water?

So, when it turn the key, it beeps once, a fan or pump turns on by the motor.  Turing it to start does nothing, no click or beeps.  I fiddled with the throttle and the kill switch.

Need to check the main fuse next i presume.

BoatValve.png

Jake707    171

Yup. Hook your hose up to that, turn on the hose open the valve and it should start coming out the bottom of the boat. Once running it will come out the exhaust. 

that pump you hear is probably your fuel pump cycling so power is getting back there with the key. 

With no noise at all when you turn your key I would check the main fuse and reset switch if you have one. Not sure if the fuel pump is tied with that main breaker or not. Then check power to starter and relay. 

Jake707    171

One note one the hose valve. Make sure you close it when the hose is taken off. Through it in the water with that open and you’ll have a hell of a story to tell depending on how soon you catch it 

MobEnzo    51

Hmm... on the not starting symptoms. Seems like throttle or kill switch - which you said you messed with. I know guys on here have bypassed the kill switch after messing with a lot of things. Beep, and pump sound is normal, it is the fuel pump making the pump sound. I don’t think it’s fuse, because I don’t think you’d get any of the other things to happen, but I could be wrong.

Regarding the valve, it looks like you’ve got it! Should be able to hook a hose up, Open the valve and turn on water. Water should come out bottom of boat intake. Once started motor should suck the water in and you won’t see much, if any, water coming out the bottom intake.

BHamm    5

Thanks everyone.  Will try some more stuff out shortly.

Happy i have the valve already !

swetpants    0

As stated above, wiggle the throttle a little. take it out of neutral and than put it back in, than try starting it again.  Occasionally this happens to my boat where it won't turn over because I'm not 'perfectly' in neutral, or at least the boat doesn't recognize it.  If that doesn't solve the problem, it could be the relay for the throttle which is located near the engine block right next to the 50 amp fuse back there. There is a write up on this forum for this exact problem, you'll just have to find it. People changed it out and claim to fix that issue, if thats whats causing your problem.  

BHamm    5

Ok, made some progress. I bought a coupler to hook up my garden hose and tried to started it, wiggled everything again but not luck.  Then put a charger on one of the batteries.  That solved one of my problems. My battery was dead.

So, now i can get it to turn over, but i can tell the belt is not turning.  So i don't start it.  Take the belt off, check each pulley.  The lower pulley on the passenger side barely turns.  I think that might be my problem.  Any idea what that one us for?

MobEnzo    51

That sounds like the sea water pump location, which would be normal to be harder to turn. That is how water gets pumped through the motor for cooling.

Should look similar to this, where two hoses are connected to it.

81ZcavdWYeL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by MobEnzo

BHamm    5

Hmm..

It is actually very hard to turn.  Like we cannot turn it my hand.  It does wiggle a bit.

Edited by BHamm

BHamm    5

Ok.found out this is common by searching a bit more.  Starting to think it's an impeller problem.

InfinitySurf    302

It may just be the impeller, but also likely that you need a new housing as well. When you remove the impeller & housing, make sure you check out the housing really well and that the pulley turns freely and isn't shot. Also if the impeller is shredded or missing bits, make sure you back flush the system and get all the pieces out since they get trapped in the oil cooler, if you leave them in there it will prevent proper water flow and could cause another overheat once you have everything fixed and back together.

BakesOnline, SKIDIM and Great Lakes Skipper all have parts. One the 1st 2 places listed....the code "MALIBU" will get you 10% discount.

Edited by InfinitySurf

BHamm    5

So, it finally stopped raining and was able to work on it again.  After trying a bit harder to turn that it loosened up.  We put the belt back on and started the boat.  It now worked fine.  We let it run for about 5 minutes and no squeaking of the belt or anything.

Think we might be good to go.  Maybe it just tightened up over winter while it was in storage?  

MobEnzo    51

Nice, glad you got it working! Maybe was stuck from drying out over winter. If you don’t know the last time the impeller was changed, it would be a good idea to check it out and/or replace. It’s a cheap and easy change to ensure it won’t leave you stranded or worse blow the engine. Enjoy your new boat!

BHamm    5

Just an update, have been out three days in the last week.  No problems.  Been a blast, dialing in the wake now.

• Like 1

rhino89523    34

I am glad you are having a good time and hate to rain on the parade too hard but I would get a look at that impeller. They are not all that expensive and if it comes apart and shoots rubber chunks all inside your motor you are going to wish you had spent the hour or so and the $40 even if for just the piece of mine.  

• Like 1