Jake707    171

While overall it was good cuz we had the little kids out swimming mostly there were two WTF. Moments that really could pissed me off. 

The first was at the very beginning. Cruising out of the no wake zone and plug in the stereo faceplate and get a super loud  buzz noise from the sub that wouldn’t go away or turn down with the volume. Only way to get rid of it was pop the faceplate back off. Tried unplugging the two rca plugs for the sub in the back of the exile ZLD no change. So we went the whole day no music. I did notice on the receiver part of the stereo where the faceplate plugs in there’s some greenish corrosion in there but it worked like normal two weeks ago  

The second issue. Boat was starting and running normal all day. Even towed another boat to the docks that wouldn’t start then went back to the cove. Coming back for the day we park the boat in a curtesy stall and turn it off while I go get the truck. Come back and go to start it. Nothing. I turn the key and I hear the full pump running. All dash switched work like normal so i wouldn’t think battery related. When I turn the key the fuel pump cycles like normal the when i turn to start nothing happens. No click or anything. Checked the safety red clip thingy we never use and it’s normal as it always is. What should I check for this then?

2000 elite V by the way haha. 

Jake707    171

Ok fixed issue two. Bottom line I’m a radio-edit. It was in neutral but apparently not all the way up. Jiggled the throttle back and forth and she started right up. 

I still cannot figure out the stereo issue. I tried unplugging the RCAs in the back of the deck but that didn’t change anything. Here’s a video. I’m stuck on what to check next. 

Nick213    583

Since you started with the rca, now disconnect the power and reconnect it. If that dose nothing pull the sub and take a look at it. From there take the amp out and have it bench tested at a stereo shop.

Jake707    171

Disconnect the power to the amp?

removing that sub is not going to be easy. It’s a custom 2.5 cubic foot box built under the helm haha

Nick213    583

Yes disconnect the power to the amp. Since you already removed the RCA’s the problem should be between the amp and sub. 

Jake707    171
On 6/25/2019 at 6:40 PM, Nick213 said:

Yes disconnect the power to the amp. Since you already removed the RCA’s the problem should be between the amp and sub. 

Ok finally found some time. Just disconnected the ground going to the sub amp from the ground distribution block and the noise went away. So what does that mean? Haha 

Jake707    171

Did the same for the positive side too. Re connected the ground to the block then pulled the positive breaker from the positive distribution block for the sub amp and no noise. Does that then point to the amp being the problem? 

The sub amp is a RF Power T1500-1bd

Jake707    171

Not knowing what I’m doing I grabbed my volt meter. 

I pulled the breaker or fuse from the sub amp power on the block but I still have a reading of 12.6 volts when I tough one lead to the battery ground and the other to the amp positive terminal. Since it’s disconnected at the block shouldn’t I be reading 0?

i tested the same for one of the other amps on the positive block and got a reading of 2 volts 

Nick213    583

I’d say take the amp to a local stereo shop and have it bench tested.

Jake707    171

Ok I ran the power and ground off the amp directly to the battery and everything works normally. So I thought it couldn’t be the amp

i then ran ground back to the block  everything is normal. Then the power. Everything normal. I have no idea what I “fixed” but it seems to be working again. 

If the amp ground wire worked its way out a bit of the block and touched one of the other amp ground wires would that cause this? I trimmed some of the wire off cuz I couldn’t seem to get it into the block cleanly. 

Troy    234

Ground loops create noise. Glad to hear you have everything sorted out. 

Jake707    171

Thought I did. But after about an hour or two playing fine on the lake it came back. I started a new thread specific to this issue in the stereo forum.