Sign in to follow this  
InfinitySurf

New Gatorbak Bunks, with pics

InfinitySurf    302

I finally got a chance to install my Gatorbak bunks after having them sit in the garage since Feb. Turned out really nice, this stuff is high quality and seems like it will stand up well. I also replaced the 2x6 with pressure treated and decided to install new lag bolts (galvanized)....I may thru bolt a few of the connections later this summer.

1st 2 pics show the carpet on my 2014 Boatmate. It was getting pretty worn and had torn on one of the front bunks. One thing that bugged me about the carpet is that it collects debris and scratches my black hull no matter how carefully I load my boat. Also, the bunks stay wet for like 3 days after dunking the trailer.

Next 2 pics show 3 of the 6 bunks installed (excuse the messy garage, I need to organize it)....I forgot to get final pictures with all the Gatorbak bunks installed since I dropped boat in water to do the work on trailer and after removing the old bunks found that the brackets on trailer had rust starting so I sanded/primed/painted all the brackets to stop the corrosion...this put me behind schedule so I was in a rush at very end to go pull the boat back out since it got dark on me. I will update final pics when I drop the boat in next time.

Final 2 pics are of a 4ft bunk with the Gatorbak on it. Initially I did not order the end caps and was going to fabricate my own thinking I needed to do the 45 degree angles on the bunks like they came from factory but did not like how they turned out and also realized that the 45 degree angles were not needed, so I went ahead and ordered 12 of the end caps. I think it gives it a more finished look. The one thing I wish I had done was order the black color stainless screws, they were much more expensive than the regular stainless, guess they are not that noticeable tho. Total for Gatorbak was about $550. $453 for the pieces of Gatorbak I needed.....$72 for the 12 end caps plus the stainless screws. I forgot what I paid for the new pressure treated 2x6 and the new galvanized lag screws and washers. All in all tho I think it was well worth it since its not something I should have to worry about again, no more wet carpet bunks against the hull for days risking blistering the gelcoat and no more scratching my black hull.

BEFORE with carpet 2..jpg

BEFORE. Front bunks with damaged carpet.jpg

AFTER with 3 of 6 Gatorbak bunks installed 1.jpg

AFTER with 3 of 6 Gatorbak bunks installed 2.jpg

4ft piece finished 1..jpg

4ft piece finished 2..jpg

Edited by InfinitySurf
  • Like 1

Troy    234

Looks great!!

• Like 1

AvyBrad    0

Looks fantastic ! Gives me inspiration to do mine 

InfinitySurf    302
8 hours ago, AvyBrad said:

Looks fantastic ! Gives me inspiration to do mine 

FYI....one thing I did that helped a lot. The Gatorbak comes in tight rolls, so before cutting it to size and doing my install, I laid them out on the new 2x6 bunks in the sun for the day to relax the rubber. I think it made the install go smoother. I took my time on the install to make sure both sides looked as straight as possible and used clamps to hold it in place while I drilled the holes for the screws. I placed a screw every 8" along each side. Install instructions were good and I cut the Gatorbak bunks 1/4" longer than the actual measurement between the end caps so the ends would be tight (I mention this cause I did not do that on the first one and ended up with 1/8" space no matter how tight I pulled and ended up going back and cutting down the 2x6 a little so it would turn out perfect). I also first pre-drilled/screwed off each end so ends would stay tight before screwing together the rest of the bunks on.

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Finally got a chance to get the final after pics of the Gatorbak bunks on my trailer yesterday when we went out surfing. Really happy with these

Final install. Front View.jpg

Final install. Rear View.jpg

Final install. Side View.jpg

• Like 1