InfinitySurf

Refinishing carbon fiber vents on Enzo

InfinitySurf    302

I have been planning this for a while and finally had time over this weekend. The sun has faded my carbon fiber vents on rear pretty badly, at first I could polish them up, wax and they looked ok but are now bad enough that the fading stands out. Did some online research on re-finishing carbon fiber (lot of people have aftermarket CF hoods with this issue) and the most popular fix seems to be using a good clear coat to protect them after refinishing the carbon fiber.

I took the old vents off and using 325 grit, sanded them being careful not to get down into the CF. I then used 800 grit to go over them (tho many online used 400 grit as the final sanding grit).

Then using a professional quality "2k clear glamour" clear coat spray that I got off Amazon....I gave them 4 separate light coats of clear coating, waiting approx 20 mins between coats. Huge difference in how they look and since the clear is non-yellowing and has UV protection, I am hoping the finish will last a good while. 

5 pictures attached. 2 are before pics of the faded CF. 1 pic is comparison of a before vent & after wet sanding/spraying 1 coat of clear (got much better after more coats). And 2 pics after the 4 coats of clear.

In these pics I have not yet done polish or wax. My plan is to let the clear cure 24hrs, then lightly sand with 2000 grit, then use a polishing compound and then use Menzerna's polymer wax. They should look amazing when done. I bought new 3M double sided heavy duty tape to adhere them and will re-install the 3 factory screws. Also, the screen/mesh had popped loose at 2 of the factory connections and once done with the finish, before installing them I plan to use a glue gun to re-attach the screen securely.

Posting this since I know others have had the same issues with their CF vents and have posted about it in the past (myself included). I thot I would share results since a search did not reveal many details on how to re-finish them. 

Before pic of vent 1.jpg

Before pic of vent 2.jpg

Before n after 1 coat of clearcoat.jpg

After clearcoating 4 times. 1.jpg

After clearcoating 4 times. 2.jpg

WakeDoc    471

How about I send you mine? Great job.

Nick213    583

Mine were replaced in 2016 and still look new! Next winter I plan on having my boat ceramic coated and I’ll have them done to.

InfinitySurf    302

I finished the vents last night. They cured pretty well after 24hrs but just as an FYI, if you hold it tightly, it would still leave a fingerprint mark on the clear coat.

First I used 1500 grit and wet sanded them to perfectly smooth the finish and remove any orange peel effect on the clear coat. I then polished them.....I tried to use my Makita rotary to polish, but it was too hard to hold them in place and polish, so I ended up doing it by hand. Took a while, but it was worth it since it put a beautiful mirror finish on them. Last, I used my Menzerna polymer sealant for the wax. Then I installed new 3M double sided backing on the vents and then used a hair dryer to heat them up a bit and make sure they have a good bond to the back of the CF vents. Oh yea, the screen had pulled a way in couple areas, so I used a hot glue gun and fixed those areas and then re-inforced the perimeter of the screen so it will be stronger than before (in below pics, I had not yet glued the screens back)

Turned out very nice. Last thing I wanna do before re-install, is polish the gelcoat behind the vents. Then I will be sure to clean surface well so the 3M has a good bond and then re-install.

4 pics. 1 shows the products I used. Other 3 are final after pics of the vents.

Products used to refinish.jpg

Final pics 2.jpg

Final pics 1.jpg

Final pics 3.jpg

Edited by InfinitySurf
  • Like 1

Hein    63

Nice work. Do those attach with VHB tape?  All the best, Hein

InfinitySurf    302
20 hours ago, Hein said:

Nice work. Do those attach with VHB tape?  All the best, Hein

Thank you. They attach with double sided 3M tape and 3 small stainless screws, 2 at front and 1 at rear

Edited by InfinitySurf

bomoseen avy    45

super write up! Thanks a bunch for doing that. They look spectacular!

Can u shoot a pic of the tape job? Trying to picture in my head as mine is in storage. I guess I was thinking they would mount with a milder, non-permanent, marine adhesive

InfinitySurf    302
On 5/1/2019 at 8:45 AM, bomoseen avy said:

super write up! Thanks a bunch for doing that. They look spectacular!

Can u shoot a pic of the tape job? Trying to picture in my head as mine is in storage. I guess I was thinking they would mount with a milder, non-permanent, marine adhesive

Don't know exactly what factory used, but it was sticky for sure and only way I was able to remove the vents was to remove the 3 screws and then gently pry up one end of the vent with plastic scraper, and then use a thin metal scraper to break/cut the tape bond....went around entire perimeter doing that carefully to get them loose without breaking anything or scratching the gelcoat.

Needs to be sticky since the 3 small screws dont secure the middle parts. After I installed the 3M tape on the vents, I used a hair dryer to heat it up some and make sure it got a good bond to the vent. When I put them back on the boat, I will do the same thing.

3M tape on back.jpg

• Like 1

bomoseen avy    45

Nice work! Many thanks.

BTW they really make your dining room pop! Bet the wife loves them there ;)

• Haha 1

InfinitySurf    302

Ha, no doubt. She loves all my projects sitting around the house like a bat to the head. Had them sitting on the kitchen island first, but one of the kids moved them to do an art project and put some scratches in the clear coat on one side if the vent. I didnt say anything cause it was my fault for leaving them out in the way, but figured the formal dining room was a better option till I have time to get the boat surface prepped to re-install them since we rarely use that room. I am blessed to have an understanding wife, she knows the boat is my stress relief in life and puts up my craziness without too much complain and in some cases encourages it.

bomoseen avy    45

Tackling this project thanks to your excellent advice. This is me post wet sand, pre-clear coat. When dry, vent is a bit cloudy but when wet, looks great. Assuming the clear coat will give it the “wet look” but just wanted to make sure I don’t need to keep sanding 

68F60E2B-ABCF-47C1-A491-C328851D1836.jpeg

Edited by bomoseen avy
  • Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Correct, if you have gone over it real well wet sanding and when wet it looks "new"... then when you start the clear coating it will get that wet looking glossy look.

Just make sure you sand off all the old clear coat, it should not be cloudy anywhere, just have a dull shine to it. But you want the diamond patterns all jumping out at you prior to clear coat... it could just be the picture, but almost looks like there is still a bit more wet sanding to do along the top middle edge, as well as the top right edge.

Edited by InfinitySurf

bomoseen avy    45

Sweet! Thanks for the help. I was a little surprised one can of clear coat got me through both vents. I’ve got a whole nother can since I got the 2 pack. Ventilation is key with that stuff

5C109ADB-6944-41F9-84D2-F07B993983A7.jpeg

Edited by bomoseen avy
misspelling
  • Like 2