enzo101mo    98

Took the boat out on last Saturday driving in the 5 mph zone heading to see a waterfall at lake Naciemento.  Cruising along in about 15 ft deep water than beeper goes off  and hit a large area of 4 ft  deep rocky solid plate shelf about 30 ft wide and 50 ft long .  Lucky I didn't bent the prop to bad just the edges a little.  I put the spare one on (817) and ready to ship it off  the bent one to get repaired,  But i was thinking IF there is a better prop out from what I have now.   I believe I have an 817 and the other bent one 537.  My boat is an Enzo 230  2005 and we use to wake board and surfing.  What would you recommend?

Troy    234

I just put on the Acme 1631, recommendation from Nettles Prop, factory prop i have been using for the last 8 seasons was the 497. I haven't had it out yet but I can let you know.  Nettles was very helpful and knowledgeable.  

Packrat    13

1579 is the go to prop for me 2008 Enzo

Troy    234

He said with the weight that I run (about 2k+ listed) the 1631 cup and pitch will make my boat feel much better and better GPH than my factory 497. I called them, we went though my engine/tranny/v-drive combo with my boat and ballast that I run and he (cant remember his name and just threw away my notes) suggested the 1631. I hope he is correct and by boat uses less fuel and surfs better. Give Nettles a call. I couldn't find a place that could beat their prices. 

enzo101mo    98

I just looked at Amazon and the 1631 is a .150 cup for $509.09  and the 1579 is a .105 cup for $487.35 ... My question since my boat is an 2005 with 2 side hard tanks and 2 Enzo sacks in the rear storage compartments I wondering which would be better?  Oh does those prices sound right to you guys?

rhino89523    34

When you send that prop off, most prop guys can change pitch and cups...I forget the extent with a brass prop but if memory serves its like one on pitch with a little more flexibility on cup but for me cup only affects the top anyway the pitch seems to be the factor that makes it the tug boat..

enzo101mo    98

I usually send my bent props to Tacoma Props in Washington.  So if I tell them I need the pitch change, what do I tell them?

On 4/5/2019 at 3:16 PM, rhino89523 said:

When you send that prop off, most prop guys can change pitch and cups...I forget the extent with a brass prop but if memory serves its like one on pitch with a little more flexibility on cup but for me cup only affects the top anyway the pitch seems to be the factor that makes it the tug boat..

Troy    234

Nettles has the 1631 for less than $420.

rhino89523    34

My prop guy has turned into a buddy so we kind of mess around with pitch, cup, size etc. ....It isn't a perfect science. I would call them up and ask them what they can do. Let them know you are low on rpm when tugging heavy or whatever and see what they can do. 

From my experimentation with props over the years I have found bigger ears give better thrust but cost you on the top, four ears instead of 3 can sometimes give you a little bit of the best of both worlds scenario. pitch is pitch and is fairly predictable in results, cups I like a little cup but my old boat seemed to spin out if I put too much cup on it in the turns.

The important numbers they usually want are RPM's...the problem for most of us is we tug so heavy. It used to be just what is your wide open RPM when you have the throttle maxed, if it was above the range of said given motor you took more pitch and if it was below it you flatten it out. My current prop on an empty boat you would probably blow up the motor if you ran it wide across the lake but she sit's nice on the RPM's now when tugging.

Try to find someone in Washington you can talk to, if not I can give you the number to my prop guy with a warning...A lot of people don't like his demeanor and he is so busy I don't think he cares a bunch who likes him and who doesn't. For whatever reason I get along with him really well.   

enzo101mo    98

Thanks Guys,  I am going to call my prop guy in Washington and tell him what we talked about  and see what he can do

enzo101mo    98

Well brought the Boat to the Boat Doc today and he showed me that I also bent the Ruttier.  Has this ever happen to anyone else.  I have no idea what that going to cost

enzo101mo    98

Found out on Friday that the shaft carrier Housing also is cracked but the shaft is straight