BHamm

2007 Centurion avalanche c4 - Ballast upgrades

BHamm    5

So, just bought this boat.   Want to get it set up for surfing on regular side.

It currently has the three built in tanks.. v fat sacks in the front, and 2 rear fat sacks.  None of the sacks are plumbed in, and right now I am not sure how much weight they all hold.

I have looked at some threads here and it seems like this is what people are doing...
1100 in port locker
580 under port seat
260 under port side bow seat

Wavemakers is suggesting a TankBuster Upgrade  which looks like 750lbs in the port locker. 
https://www.wakemakers.com/centurion-tankbuster-750-ballst-system-upgrade.html

Here is the boat...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1418252423

Thanks for the help so far!!

Nick213    583

Are you gonna list the boat or use a wake shaper?

I used to list my 08 avy. I had 1100’s in the rear lockers, a 580 under the prot seat and a 400 under the starboard seat and 600# of lead. With a light crew 3-5 people I would put a 400# bag on the seat of the side we were surfing. We also ALWAYS transferred all the lead to whichever side we were surfing on. 

From my experience with that boat bow weight was not necessary. 

BHamm    5

I do have a wake shaper from.our last boat so will try that.

Why do the wave makers guys suggest I get the 750...everyone here says 1100 for the rear lockers?

Packrat    13

I have an SV 230 and was wondering the same thing about the 750 vs 1100. I know the 1100 won’t fill all the way in either of our boats so wonder if it’s worth it. 

Troy    234

Do a custom sac. We list ours (starboard only) and the wave is great. Since you are going port side no real need for an a-plate. Just do a custom sac with a dedicated pump or two and you will be set and it wont burn much fuel. 

1100's fit in the lockers but they don't fill all the way up. but I do believe you get more than 750 in them. 

edit: here is my thread about extra pump and stuff.. http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8473-ballast-version-2/&tab=comments#comment-104044
my custom starboard sac. https://p5.zdusercontent.com/attachment/192179/Owj7PzQnk6ft7jxCyg2c4aMUd?token=eyJhbGciOiJkaXIiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4Q0JDLUhTMjU2In0..Fh_1dIWoH4eYRku1nWCw4A.82VTsc1K73zYceIuKMNBU_Z8Gn8bvY6XsAvQ0kaWo4pKZDoisTVkG4M-x_9JZulEVfiea4FkPGyf5CF7EdG-LLa6CXJTo3Yelr7XOGd1XUF6J7MlNTHOtbL92L24ZwiLblV_4iE_pDtil5lBvz0DOScIY74uE8BV0dkEtmy6T9D3n8IKpbZ9Y-wh_zqOcDmPSbcJjc0nomZFHNrOyWwJzZHxyXRcRSW28oaveQ_xMzlBpDrehIjWbwM2VZl-lvfddiZGJc961N6wLVrW9bnQrw.qWguIk2qxhKMV10lz7u05A

Edited by Troy
  • Like 1

BHamm    5

That custom sack is nice.  Could I do that and use the factory plumbing for now?  With the pump etc upgrade in the future?

Troy    234
3 minutes ago, BHamm said:

That custom sack is nice.  Could I do that and use the factory plumbing for now?  With the pump etc upgrade in the future?

Yes. you can it will just be so slow at the beginning. you can always use the factory pump and assist with a pump over the side also. 

Remember that sac is for the starboard side so the leg/finger, whatever you call, it will be longer for a port side and I would change the side the top ports are on.  Do your own measurements and compare.  

Nick213    583

My 1100’s would fill all the way. I asked if he would be using a shaper because of the custom sac. I also had a custom sac for the port side. If using a shaper your gonna need custom sac’s on both sides. Not sure the 330 murc is gonna get up to surf speed, with individual sacs you’ll have more flexibility in your weight. If your gonna list like I used to and as Troy dose then I agree 100% on a port custom sac. It’ll will optimize tour weight on a listed avy.

Packrat    13

I was planning on using a mission delta 2.0 wakeshaper. Would I need to sink both sides equally or is it still better to list. We are port side regular riders. 

Nick213    583

From all the info I’ve herd you will list slightly on the surf side but it’s pretty even maybe a couple hundred pounds more on the surf side. Listing will definitely give you better gas consumption.

• Like 1

bomoseen avy    45

Lots of posts in here about Avy ballast projects, do some searching, I think BigCat had a link to his project that really helped me a few years ago.

CrewAdmin helped me with my custom sac; ordered through here, great deal and awesome knowledge of the specific boat.

I went with 911 prop (huge upgrade) and slammed the boat with weight. I used a brick on the transom, my 1500# avy sac on port side, a 400# bag in the bow, and on light crew days (kids were small back then) added a 400# on port seats. Whatever got my rubrail to the waterline. There are some posts of setups with surfgate on this site.

Enjoy!!

bard    1

i picked up the same boat late last summer. I am no expert yet but  i''ve got the best wave so far on port side with a suckgate.   I fill the  big bag in the port locker that goes under the seat(1100 i believe) full.  starboard side bag is a little smaller(750 ish) and i fill it full.  small center tank full.  for a small small crew ive got 2 400 portables and will put one port side and one up front.  big crews i get a great wave with no portables.  both locker bags are tied into stock pumps.  I still get a good wave listed but don't like the ride and don't like having rookie drivers swamp the boat.lol

InfinitySurf    302

Side note about using a suck gate. Its important for it to be at correct height compared to water once you are at speed....in my experience, roughly 4" below water level when at rest works well most of the time and if you only have one place to put it on hull and its too deep, you can "bring it up" by adjusting your list. If you put the shaper too low, the water will flow over the gate and your wave will not be as clean and you wont have the push you could. Too high and you will have a big rooster tail of water.

When using my Nauticurl suck gate (like that style since the flap is at rear, so it can be further back on hull than many other brands and also reasonable price compared to some and very well made),. I had the rear gate portion between 12-16" forward of the back transom. Listing will give you a great wave at lower rpm than using a suck gate since less ballast and the gate adds resistance obviously. On my boat (SV244), I felt like with the Nauticurl, I got a larger wave with more push due to being able to sink the hull with more ballast. Listing my rpm was roughly 3200....with suck gate and full ballast, 3400-3500 @ 11mph at 800ft elevation, PCM ZR409.

C-Dubs    1

I have an 03’ Avalanche with the walkway I bought new in 03. I finally this last winter cut the walk way out and converted it to storage on both sides. I now have the 1100# bag on both sides with a suction cup wedge. Still experimenting with the placement of it and wait as every person in the boat makes a big difference. I think the conversion came out pretty well. 

Jake707    171

You got pictures of the conversion? That would be a nice write up. Never heard of people converting the walk through 

jtryon    24
On 8/5/2019 at 0:12 AM, Jake707 said:

You got pictures of the conversion? That would be a nice write up. Never heard of people converting the walk through 

also interested in pictures and details