Packrat    13

Looks like I might need some tires for my 2008 Sport Boat Trailer are the Maxxis M8008 still the best tire?

I’m pulling a SV230. 

TexP51    6

That’s a good tire, but just get a tire rated for your big heavy boat and you should be fine.  The load rating is most important think on a replacement trailer tire.  Add trailer and boat (GVWR), add fuel, and any add ons.  Divide number by 4 for a tandem trailer to get load per tire.  Some marine dealers don’t balance tires, but if your’re trailering long distances your bearings will thank you - and have much longer life.  Dry rot, low air pressure and curbs kill most boat tires before you leave to get on the road, add heat from the overloaded tire and they let go. I use a 3000# empty steel 26’ pipe trailer and have found the road tires that last the longest are the highest weight capacity at the lowest air pressure.  Some manuf. say 1650# @ 80psi, where another does the same @35psi - I go with the second tire.  Travel safe.

Packrat    13

Is the load capacity the C, D,or E, load range ie; 6ply,8ply, or 10ply?

TexP51    6

There are bias ply tires, and the more expensive premium radial tires - usually sold for long distance trailering.  Either come in load ratings of A-E.  A is lowest, and E is the highest weight supporting capacity.  Tire manuf.s handle load through plys on belted tires.  Semis, dump trucks, etc use large belted ply tires for the tires weight capabilities,, sacrificing ride comfort of a radial for payload needs.  Air pressure is the most critical thing to tire life.  One other suggestion - get the tires balanced.  Some people think you don’t need to, and maybe they don’t if it’s slow speed and very short distances, but tires will last longer and you’ll find the boat trim screws not falling out as much if you get up balanced!

Packrat    13

Wanted to get Maxx M8008 but they didn’t come in 8 ply any more for ST215x75X R14. Went with Costco Towmaster SS 8ply Trailer Radial. We shall see how they do.

Edited by Packrat

Troy    234

I think that is what I put on mine a couple years back. No issues.

Dreamer    96

What are you guys using for tire pressure? On my SV230 Enzo the sticker on the trailer said 50psi. On my SV244 trailer the sticker says 65psi but on the tire sidewall it says max 65psi cold.

InfinitySurf    302

I run mine at max (50psi cold). I would say go with what tire says since I assume those are not the stock tires that came on trailer?

Dreamer    96

They are the stock tires on the trailer. Power King Towmax STR 205/75/15