Sign in to follow this  
Tulsarust

Windshield leaking under dash into stereo amps

Tulsarust    0

I have a 2015 FS44. I had the boat out on the driveway in a light mist/rain for the day while I was reworking some wiring with the stereo. While under the port dash later in the day I noticed water slowly dripping from two of the bolts w big fender washers that I think are holding down the windshield base. Water had dropped onto a wiring harness and then on top of one of the Roswell amps and finally behind the power blocks and onto the battery charger. 

So, I know I’m not usually on the water in the rain, but if the boat is in the rain sometime or even washing it I don’t want to damage any stereo equipment. Has anyone else had this problem. I figure best move is to release windshield frame and then put some 3M 5200 around the bolt hole and tighten things back up. 

Anyone have any tips?

ill try to post my video of the leak. 

Tulsarust    0

First pic has red arrow pointing to bolt w fender washer. The black box is some sort of fuel vent box from fuel tank. 

This second pic shows water on speaker wire harness 

E810019D-CF5B-4A72-8197-02AB406A0A24.jpeg

Tulsarust    0

This shows water sitting on top of amp!!  The photo isn’t allowed bc I guess I’ve uploaded too much on this posting. Maybe it will upload tomorrow. 

Tulsarust    0

Here is pic of water sitting on top of the Roswell amp

28C3F6C0-5707-4309-B843-EA11FFDE016C.jpeg

Wylie_Tunes    146

You do need to stop the water at the point of entering. So it does sound like the windshield would need to come off. Rather then permanent 5200, id uses a non-permanent like the 4200, 4000 or something from the Lifeseal line. These will offer all the sealing properties you need, without bonding anything to the gel coat. 

I would remove the power cables to the amp, remove it, open it up and blow it out with compressed air. Even a marine amp can be damaged by direct water intrusion.   

Tulsarust    0

I’ll get a tube of the 4200 then. Thanks for the advice. Any tips on removing the windshield?  Are there other screws from the frame directly into the top cap?  Or are there just the through bolts I can see?