Anson    0

Installed new impeller in sea pump, used a fake lake to check installation.  Not getting any water out of exhaust, pump is dry. Tried priming or filling intake line with water, still will not pump.  I have had several boat shops look at the pump and tell me it’s good, but it doesn’t work at all. Anyone have anything like this going on, ever?  It’s the brass sea pump, it’s definately worn on the from and back of the housing. 

InfinitySurf    302

So couple things. Did you replace the o-rings when you did the impeller and are sure that things are sealed and tight? If its sucking any air at all anywhere in your system, it may not be priming. Fake lake can also be an issue if not sealed right at hull.

Another thing....have you pulled impeller back out to make sure that the center hub of the impeller is not "spun". I have heard of several new impellers getting put in and the center hub separating....so when engine is running its spinning the hub of the impeller, but since it separated from the impeller, the actual impeller vanes are not turning which is what is pulling/pushing water thru your system and out the exhaust (if you drained the system prior, it can take 20-30 seconds or so for it to start coming out of the exhaust after you start the engine).

Last think, do you have a shut off valve on your intake at the hull? If you closed it and forgot to re-open, water cannot get into the system from the fake lake under boat. (way easier to install some fittings so you can hook a hose directly up to engine and run it that way).

These are the 3 things I can think of. Good luck

Anson    0

Thanks for the response.  O ring is in and I’m 99% positive there Isn’t any air leak, but the brass sea pump itself is scored internally pretty bad (inside the case as well as the back plate). They look like bad brake rotors (1/4 inch groves). Not sure about what kind of tolerance is needed, but both of the boat guys in town said it should pump.  I was told there is a rebuild kit out there that comes with stainless steel plates that provide a new surface for the impeller to ride on. Anyone know anything about it?

InfinitySurf    302
11 hours ago, Anson said:

Thanks for the response.  O ring is in and I’m 99% positive there Isn’t any air leak, but the brass sea pump itself is scored internally pretty bad (inside the case as well as the back plate). They look like bad brake rotors (1/4 inch groves). Not sure about what kind of tolerance is needed, but both of the boat guys in town said it should pump.  I was told there is a rebuild kit out there that comes with stainless steel plates that provide a new surface for the impeller to ride on. Anyone know anything about it?

Not sure on the re-build kit, but its likely that is right. Couple links below of places you can check

https://www.skidim.com/

https://www.bakesmarine.com/