Sign in to follow this  
lake dweller

Wetsounds xxx12

Looking to install a wesounds 12xxx in my boat I seen on there site two different options for an enclosure one is dual port other is single, what's the difference one hit harder then the other? Also what is a good amp to power this bad boy.

Nick213    583

SDX2 is the amp I’d go with. I had 2 xxx12’s in my avy in a sealed enclosure. I also started the build with 1 in the dual slotted enclosure and think it put out the best sound.

Wylie_Tunes    146

For a good match, go with the Syn-DX2.3HP. 1200W rms x 1 bridged 4 ohm. best amp, SDX-2500. Up to 2500W rms @ 1 ohm. 

Box. Dual or single port makes no difference, its all about the port volume and tuned frequency. A single slot or round, will be a slightly smaller gross dimension wise. This can help fitting the enclosure where it needs to be. if space is not an issue, the dual slot port looks great. Especially if you load some LEDS in the back of the port, to light them up. 

Nick213    583

Either I’m missing something or confused but the sdx-2500 is better fit for the xxx15 then a xxx12. I say that because my system blew multiple xxx12’s on a arc2500.1 “that is to much power for the sub” all my systems were installed and tuned with quality highly recommended dealers... yes more then one.

I won’t argue the Syn-Dx2.3 would be equivalent or better match for the xxx12 but I don’t see the six-2500 being the best choice.

If I change my sub in my current boat it will be a xxx15 ran on a sdx-2500.

Wylie_Tunes    146

@Nick213

it would be impossible for me to say why you blew multiple wet sounds woofers wired to another brand amp. I could speculate, but thats all. With that said, too much wattage can blow a woofer. Extra wattage potential is called head room. What does that mean?

if your amp was tuned to its full potential of 2500W watt rms and then paired to a single  woofer with a 1200W rms/2400W peak rating, I could see the woofer coil having a melt down or mechanical failure. 

If the amp was tuned to something in the range of 1800 rms give or take a couple hundred watts rms, I would not expect the woofer to blow IF everything else was spot on Enclosure specs, amp tuning other then gain. Clean, un-clipped signal into the amp, etc.