Kevin Baugh

2012 Pcm 450 V drive 1/2 inch square drain plug

Kevin Baugh    78

I am unable to get the  V drive 1/2 inch square drain plug loose

any ideas how I can get this plug to greak loose

rhino89523    34

1/2" outer square I can usually break with a big crescent wrench worst case scenario, they also make a socket for this if need be in 1/2" and 3/8" drive. For the 1/2" inner square I just use a 1/2" drive socket wrench.

Not sure why you need to get this undone but if it's for an oil change I just do mine through the top side with an extractor.  

Kevin Baugh    78

It is for winterizing according to the instructions to winterize it is number 5 and on the bottom back of the v drive I have been trying a 1/2 socket but I can't get it to budge

InfinitySurf    302

It can be a bit of a PITA to access since you cant see it well. Have you tried spraying it with something to loosen, like WD40, etc? If it has not been removed for a while....its possible there is some corrosion if there was some water in bilge, or last person may have just put it on really tight or maybe even put something on the threads to keep it from leaking.... If your square extension is getting a good connection and not slipping when you are trying to turn it out, after soaking it for couple hours with WD40 or something else, I would try to put a battery powered impact drill on it, just a couple short bursts to try to break it loose. (You could also potentially use a longer "breaker bar". I have used a hollow piece of metal from my bottle jack before to make my ratchet longer to break loose a tough bolt). Guess it all depends on if its holding good and is just stuck on, or if the drain plug is rounded out some and that is also part of your issue.

May also be good to look at it visually by taking a picture of it, or using a mirror just to see if anything is obvious. Sucks, cause that is one you want to remove to drain water since its a lot spot. Guess worst case you can drain everything else and use shop vac at each drain hole to suck out as much water as possible (and to be sure no blockages), then you could push 5 gallons of RV anti-freeze thru it....then drain and push 5 more gallons thru. This would help remove as much of the remaining water as possible so the AF is not as diluted? Its a thought anyway if you simply are unable to remove the drain plug.