st68

In search of Surf Boat

st68    0

I am in the market for a good, lower hour surf boat.  My budget is $30k to $50k.  Preferably 2009 or newer.  Do you guys know of any good Centurions out there for sale?

I've found this 2011 Air Warrior south of Atlanta for 39k.  Does this look like a good deal?

Couple of questions - owner says it the air warrior model, but I haven't seen much reference to this model before.  I notice its a walk thru bow which I have seen many people say is not preferable because you can't put the sacs under the bow seats?  Any advice or suggestions for things to look at before I go take a look?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/boa/d/ft-centurion-wakeboard-boat/6711399069.html 

cent2.jpg

centurion.jpg

MobEnzo    51

Air warrior is the trim package. It’s hard to read the black writing on the back side, but I think it says it is a Typhoon. I believe that is a shorter version of an Avalanche - 22ft vs 23ft. I’m not as familiar with those models, I know many surf the Avalanche. The walkthrough is in reference to the rear lockers. Some of the Avalanches have a walkthrough in the rear. This is less desirable for the goofy footed surfers, because you can’t fit larger ballast in it versus a locker. This boat does not have that issue... It looks like a clean boat!

Troy    234

Typhoon is the larger Avalanche.

Typhoon = 23' 100" beam

Avalanche = 22' 100" beam

Elite V = 21' 93" beam

• Like 1

Troy    234
15 hours ago, Chriskelly0811 said:

I've found this 2011 Air Warrior south of Atlanta for 39k.  Does this look like a good deal?

Couple of questions - owner says it the air warrior model, but I haven't seen much reference to this model before.  I notice its a walk thru bow which I have seen many people say is not preferable because you can't put the sacs under the bow seats?  Any advice or suggestions for things to look at before I go take a look?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/boa/d/ft-centurion-wakeboard-boat/6711399069.html 

cent2.jpg

centurion.jpg

This looks to be an Elite V. 21' 93" beam.  The interior looks too narrow for an Avy. That tower is the Tribal and it is an awesome tower with tons of head room. 

The guy is advertising it as a 22’ boat.  How can I figure that out for certain?  Where to look on boat?  Definitely looking for 22-23’ boat?  Looking for best surf wave in the centurion line up...is this a good one?

Troy    234
On 10/20/2018 at 11:06 AM, Chriskelly0811 said:

The guy is advertising it as a 22’ boat.  How can I figure that out for certain?  Where to look on boat?  Definitely looking for 22-23’ boat?  Looking for best surf wave in the centurion line up...is this a good one?

Since this has the step like Gravity12 posted it must be an Avy. The picture angles just make it look really narrow to me. 

The Avy will produce an awesome wave. The best wave? No but it will be awesome. I only list my boat, so I can only comment on that wave. Some people weight it evenly and use a suck gate but I think that uses more fuel and is harder on the engine. I run about 2k worth of ballast and will post up a picture from my phone. I have a custom sac. Factory center. about 100lbs in the front. if we have a small crew then i have another 250 sac for the seat also. All the weight on the surf side except the bow which is centered.  

Troy    234

My buddy Joe (dark colored shorts) is 6’5” and rode that out on a board too small for him, plenty of push. I have on the multi colored shorts, still trying to get air. And then my wave, it was rough out when I took that picture but I think it still shows the wave fairly well. 

4EE44F3F-B663-49E9-8D3E-227BE808EF48.jpeg

6CFABC10-27C0-42F2-B262-CC306E6BC35E.jpeg

87589BB8-72C7-4E0A-A694-FD4E34C269E5.jpeg

Looked at another centurion today.  Need help figuring out the differences.  The boat above - 2011 22’ (I think) avalanche

looked at 2008 Enzo sv220 today ...for more money 40k.  

What is the difference in the Enzo and avalanche?  It seems that many people refer to the ‘avy’ as the best older surf wake?  Thanks for the help!

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-centurion-sv-220-103380157/?refSource=sponsored+listing

InfinitySurf    302

Enzo and Avy are both really good boats with a deep v hull that is perfect for surfing. Typically, you are going to get a better deal buying private party than from a dealer...at least from looking at the pics, year posted, etc. The 2011 Avy seems like a decent buy (if in fact its an Avalanche) and if you take care of it, you should be able to keep that boat for 3-4 years and not lose a lot in depreciation as long as the economy holds... Goes without saying that buying private party, its smart to either have the boat checked out by mechanic, or test drive it yourself IF you know what to look for, and have some mechanical knowledge to do a compression test and know what to look for to ensure there are no obvious issues, etc. Personally, I would get the FIN# from that boat and then call Fineline and get the history on it. Then you will also know EXACTLY what the size and trim level is. (Have you seen it in person?). Little surprised that owner does not know exactly what the boat is to be able to tell you. The size and model of the boat should be listed on the title, maybe he will take a picture and text to you? That my clarify if its an "Avalanche", tho design sure does look like it. Looks like the Air Warrior tag, was a package that was put on quite a few models, so its confusing for sure. This below u-tube video looks like this exact boat when it was new 7yrs ago....and also just says "2011 Centurion Air Warrior 22ft" and does not specify if its an Avy (cool that when you lift left side sundeck, you have a walkthru area).

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-tightrope-tig4&hsimp=yhs-tig4&hspart=tightrope&p=2011+centurion+air+warrior#id=1&vid=d754563b561dd696bd17496514ea490a&action=click

Didn't see hours on the 2008 SV220, it looked clean too but price is top of what its worth IMO (see below post about the Enzo 216/220 not having the full deep v hull....which would make me think it wont surf as well as an Avy, nor ride as well in choppy water). I think the SV models were able to get more options, making them more expensive. I would get the most solid buy you can with least amount of depreciation down the road. In my opinion....the yellow color will also limit some buyers while the "classic", black/blue/white does not really go out of style and looks really sharp when you keep it up (maybe that is partially biased tho since my boat may be black/blue, lol...). Not at all saying yellow is bad, I actually had a yellow SeaRay back in the day, just saying to consider big picture and look at all aspects when comparing. Plus...with winter about her, it possible you could see some excellent deals, you just gotta know what you want and be ready to pounce when it happens. There will be less boats on market, but winter is the best time to buy a boat EXCEPT for the fact that it makes it harder to test them out like you should depending on where you live (GA wont be as bad for sure).

For reference (just to compare on looks for a 2011 Avalanche...nothing to do with price since this is a local dealer to me and frankly this dealer typically prices high, I know them fairly well).... No price listed on this ad and it does have some options that the 2011 you had posted doesn't like: gladiator tower, digital screen (which is not necessarily a big pro IMO since its something that can go wrong and be hard to fix 5yrs from now due to lack of replacement screens). 

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2011-Centurion-AVALANCHE-C4-for-sale-Mooresville-North-Carolina-89288.aspx

FYI....I found this post (see below) on an earlier thread, talking about an 07 Elite V C4 with "Air Warrior" package. It talks about some of the packages and differences. I did not know a lot of this myself:

The Elite-V and Cyclone are the same hull. The Elite was the "Air Warrior series" and the Cyclone was the "Storm Series". Elites, like Avys and all Enzos EXCEPT the Enzo 216/220 are deep V hull boats. They tend to be better for surfing and handling choppy water. They're also pretty good for wakeboarding, but tend to be a little weight sensitive side to side. If you're a slalom skier, a deep-V boat is probably not the one for you.

The Falcon and Enzo 216/220 are more of a modified V. flatter on the bottom as you get to the transom. This tends to make them good wakeboard boats and much better for skiing. That's not to say the Falcon and Enzo 216/220 can't be a good surf boat too, they will just require a little more weight to get that lean.

The Elite-V and Avy hulls are pretty similar. They have the same angle on their V, but the Avy is a few inches wider.

***Whatever you decide to do, do your due diligence and check out the boat mechanically, so you don't have any regrets down the road. Happy Hunting

bomoseen avy    45

I thought alarm bells went off in the deep recesses of my brain to avoid the Enzo 216/220 for surfing. Not sure if that is the post I remember but I would definitely search the forum before that purchase.

I had an Avy for 6 seasons-ran it listed, loved me that boat...

I've had my Enzo for two seasons. As good as the Avy wave was, the Enzo=beefier wave with more push at the rear of the wave. Going from great to awesome!!

17 hours ago, bomoseen avy said:

I thought alarm bells went off in the deep recesses of my brain to avoid the Enzo 216/220 for surfing. Not sure if that is the post I remember but I would definitely search the forum before that purchase.

I had an Avy for 6 seasons-ran it listed, loved me that boat...

I've had my Enzo for two seasons. As good as the Avy wave was, the Enzo=beefier wave with more push at the rear of the wave. Going from great to awesome!!

So which Enzo do you have?  Thx for the heads up, will search for the warnings about the Enzo 220.

Dan gib    8
On 10/27/2018 at 6:38 PM, Chriskelly0811 said:

So found this 1998 elite v 21’ with 2013 motor and etc parts.  

Anyone have this boat and know the big differences in hull for a surf wake?

can perfect pass be installed?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/d/1998-centurion-elite-drive/6730329148.html

Older boat but that seems like a good deal. Definitely can add perfect pass believe it’s about $1500

EliteV    1
On 10/27/2018 at 5:38 PM, Chriskelly0811 said:

So found this 1998 elite v 21’ with 2013 motor and etc parts.  

Anyone have this boat and know the big differences in hull for a surf wake?

can perfect pass be installed?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/d/1998-centurion-elite-drive/6730329148.html

definitely surfable with some bags and listed. I had a 99 eliteV. Good deep hull. The transmission had to be rebuilt so I did that and sold it. Make sure it shifts good. 

Careful on that 98,, I swear that boat was on Craigslist in Nor Cal spring of 2017 when I was in the market!  I tried to see it and got some odd email responses....

COV2    8

I too saw the same pictures of that boat last year when I was looking but in a different location.

guido8000    7

st68, good luck in your search.

Lots of good info on the forums so do your research. This is a picture of our regular wave with a 2006 Enzo SV230 with only 3 people in boat. Bought it with under 130 hours, have about 350 now. We spent about $6500 in under seat ballast and repairs of other things previous owner neglected. It has been a great surf, ski, wakeboard, and general family fun boat. What amazes me is that the Enzo seems to hold its value really well so long as she is cared for. 

Before you pull the trigger all I can offer is do your due diligence. Read the forums, see what people are asking and selling for and make sure you do a pre purchase inspection. The Enzo provides a great wave with lots of free board so if safety is an issue then you don't have to worry.  I have little experience with other boats but my son' is the one who does. 5 years ago I was in your shoes and he told me what to look for. For the money the Enzo offers what you appear to be looking for. Best of luck in your search. 

DB surf 2 (Mobile).jpg

23 hours ago, COV2 said:

I too saw the same pictures of that boat last year when I was looking but in a different location.

Very interesting...I got the same weird response and write it off.  Seemed like a scam