SoundEncounters

Ri Series recommendations

Left FineLine for a couple years and decided to make a return as I have 2 of the best dealers in the country within a few hours drive (Fresno and Clearlake) and now thinking I will invest in what is likely going to be a new Ri series. Looking for a couple recommendations from the guys who own or have ridden both...

Is the Ri257 wave that much better? There is a hefty increase from a 237 to the 257 and while I love the extra 2' of space it is not required and there is a couple things I like better about the 237 then the 257 like the rear lockers being notched to fit surf boards in the back sides and the cushioned side panel behind the captains chair. But the drop in ice chest in the 257 is sweet!

Would others agree the Ri237 is better bang for the buck over the Fi25? They are almost identical priced but I like the cleaner fit and finish, grab handles, deeper hull and rear facing flip up seat the Ri has but that bigger boat and better graphic choices outside for the Fi is making that hard to decide. 

Is CATS worth the investment? My local dealer says not needed any more and he never uses them, but I was thinking of adding for resale value later as that is a feature I feel future buyers may want if looking at Centurion.

In the 257 are you actually able to store surf boards in that rear transom locker without the plug-n-play bag in there?

Any other educated opinions on the 237 vs 257 or Fi25 are appreciated! Thanks in advance for the help.

h20king    794

Wake performance is so close pick what one you like best. We are getting ready to place our order for a fi25 draft and hull is almost identical to the 257 no bad choices here. As for cats we had it on our fi23 and will have it on our fi25 I use it all the time

Edited by h20king

wheels    151

A lot of dealers are not ordering the cats as a lot of buyers are uninformed about cats and it just confuses them. Personally I would never order a centurion without cats and it would stop me from buying a used one without it. Was just reading a thread in another forum about someone complaining of always having to get people to move around to level his boat out while underway. This is one of my favourite features of cats of always having a level boat while cruising and never having to ask people to move. Cleaning up or shaping the wave with it is an added bonus. 

• Like 1

carguy79ta    67

I have a '17 257 and highly recommend it. If you go that route, get all the ballast options, including the front sack and rear transom.  I have also put 1000 lead in under the rear seats. We typically have a small crew, 2-4. The wave is massive. 

See short vid.  Me surfing, wife and daughter in the boat. With lead.

When the transoms bag is full, I dont think you can fit boards back there, never tried tho. I know you can fit them in if the rear transom bag is empty.

I dont use CATS much, but would prolly always order with it.

Edited by carguy79ta

InfinitySurf    302

257 wave is awesome....huge barrel. In some situations, almost too big. I spent a week behind one over fathers day, so much fun and impressive boat...I have one picture where dude is riding surfboard on his stomach and literally got his body INSIDE the barrel and rode it like that for a couple mins, so cool!! Plus for a boat that large to handle that well and get great fuel economy to boot....unheard of with any other brand.

Personal opinion, I don't NEED a wave that big. I am not good enough to be able to do the kind of crazy tricks you could probably do riding a wave like that....and good enough where I don't need a massive wave "pushing" me along if that makes sense. Also for ME....I would have to get a bigger truck just too pull the boat (Off-topic, but I purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 today actually, with the max tow package and 3.92 gears so its rated for 11,400...big enough for my SV244, not big enough for a 257, lol). Cause I did not go for the heavier desiel option, I am going to add EOH brakes to my trailer over the winter and I do not tow much, or far....so I chose the happy medium. Actually I have been pulling this boat with my 2016 Chevy 1500 (basically same tow ratings as the Ram has) for last 2 years and never felt unsafe for a moment, partly cause I drive like grandpa when pulling the boat, what I DONT like, is backing down the steeper boat launches since normal trailers have no brakes in reverse.

Beyond all that, I think most people would pretty much have all they could handle with a 23-24ft RI or FI. Have also been behind RI217/237 and the FI21/23 (not the FI25 yet tho). Wave on all those boats is awesome and you cannot get better for those size boats. Personally if I were going new, it would be FI. While there are some things about the RI that are awesome and the FI does not have....mainly those are things that I don't need or feel like I gotta have and I love the lines/look of the FI a bit better, along with the single screen rather than 2, and of course the cost savings is nice. Wave is awesome with push way back. Actually on that Fathers Day trip....we rode the FI21 for an hour or so. Owner of that 257 is a big dude....prob like 280 and a great rider. He had ZERO issue on that wave, was cutting up, jumping and having a blast. Could not believe that was a 21ft wave when I was riding it (course boat is more like 22ft....but still). I am guessing the FI25 is gonna be awesome, you should demo!

I have spent a fair amount of time on my buddies Fi23 and it is a nice boat, but feels too small coming from my last boat so I definitely want to size up. The Ri237 feels a "bit" bigger inside but I think more so just laid out better maybe? That deep hull might give that illusion I don't know. But the wave is sweet for sure, and wake board wake was easy to dial in. 

I got to go out on the Fi21 from Watersports Marine in Fresno, CA last week and it was impressive! That little boat had such a wave! Obviously too small for me but I was shocked at how clean a small boat's wave can be. 

When the Fi25 dropped I decided at that moment to sell my boat and I wanted one. But after spending some time climbing back and forth between the Fi25 and Ri237 at the dealer I really liked the feel of the Ri better. And that day said no way I can do the 257 because of the added expense. 

I have to wait a few weeks to order, which has since given me time to really contemplate the 257 and lean more and more towards that. I joined the Facebook group and asked getting same answer over and over the 257 was the way to go. The financial difference HURTS compared to other brands for the extra 2' but man its such a monster boat. 

I will demo an Ri237 before I buy, but I already know it's impressive. Would love to try the Fi25 and 257 before committing so I can really feel out the difference but I wouldn't want to put a dealer through that kind of torture. 

h20king    794

Ri 257 and fi25 shares the same hull just 7" shorter  so wake performance should  be very close. I like them both but wife likes the layout of the 25 interior so a 25 it is .placing our order in November