Anton72    0

Hey Guys...Sadly we already need to start thinking about winterizing in Canada.  First time winterizing a Centurion.

It seems like the heater on my 2014 Enzo FX44 is part of a closed cooling system, with antifreeze in the heater lines.  Anyone able to confirm this? 

Also, has anyone tried to change the oil and the drain line doesn't fit through the hole at the back?  Is there a pump available you can thread onto the drain line?  Going through the dipstick to drain just doesn't seem like it will get it all out.

rhino89523    34

I can't comment on the heater deal but if it has coolant in it, it is definitely part of a closed system.

As far as the oil change goes, you could definitely build a fitting that would attach to the threads and suck it out that way, I just go through the dipstick, the dipstick always goes into the sump part of the oil pan, you can feel the tube bottom out into the pan. If you suck right to the bottom of the sump you are getting most of the oil out. All the oil pan gaskets I have done in my life I have never seen one completely free of all oil when drained. I drain them (in cars) out the oil drain plug when warm and let them go until they are not dripping...then I put the plug back in because there is always some left in there. I change my oil at the end of the season on my boat, we have a shorter season than many, we don't get going until June and we stop in September. I try to use my boat as much as time allows and we do a week vacation in it every year. probably run somewhere around 20 tanks of gas through it....the oil comes out pretty clean. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the little bit that is left in there whatever method you end up going with. Nice new filter and fresh oil, treat the gas, impeller, couple pumps of grease on the rudder, figure out if it's a totally closed cooling system or deal with draining or pumping in coolant....good time to do your trailer maintenance, park it and wait for sunshine.

Anton72    0

Thanks for the reply.  I hadn't really thought that the dipstick would go into the bottom of the oil pan, but it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure that the heater is filled with antifreeze.  The lower hose connection definitely had antifreeze in it, but the upper hose connection didn't really have anything in it so it was hard to tell.

I wasn't planning on doing the impeller.  You do yours every year?  It doesn't seem very easy to get to.

DrNate    426
9 hours ago, Anton72 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I hadn't really thought that the dipstick would go into the bottom of the oil pan, but it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure that the heater is filled with antifreeze.  The lower hose connection definitely had antifreeze in it, but the upper hose connection didn't really have anything in it so it was hard to tell.

I wasn't planning on doing the impeller.  You do yours every year?  It doesn't seem very easy to get to.

I do my impeller every other year, and yeah, it's hard to get to.  The easiest way I have found to drain the oil is with an oil extractor through the dipstick.  Works really well actually and is much faster than draining out the bottom using the hose

rhino89523    34

I do my impeller every other as well. Extractor works great, really clean.

InfinitySurf    302

I use oil drain hose...and either put extractor hose up that hose, or also have a Jabsco hand pump that I put a small hose clamp on end, put it over the fitting and tighten clamp so it does not suck air. Both work very well and get majority of oil out if engine is warmed up first.

namadio    0

I'm not familiar with the new centurion heaters but the old ones were not closed loop and were a PITA to winterize.  We used compressed air to blow anti freeze into them after blowing out the water and 50-50 they still froze out. This was mid 2000s centurions with mercruisers.  Haven't seen a new one myself yet.

Does the loop run through an oil cooler or something to heat up?

InfinitySurf    302
On 9/3/2018 at 9:10 PM, Anton72 said:

Hey Guys...Sadly we already need to start thinking about winterizing in Canada.  First time winterizing a Centurion.

It seems like the heater on my 2014 Enzo FX44 is part of a closed cooling system, with antifreeze in the heater lines.  Anyone able to confirm this? 

Also, has anyone tried to change the oil and the drain line doesn't fit through the hole at the back?  Is there a pump available you can thread onto the drain line?  Going through the dipstick to drain just doesn't seem like it will get it all out.

My 2014 SV44 has the ZR409 engine....and the heater is closed cooled and you do not have to worry about doing anything to it. Is the ZR409 or ZR450 what you have? If so....no worries. If you are not sure, your owners manual will confirm, or post a picture of the engine and someone here will be able to tell you, my guess is that it is part of the closed system tho and you are good to go. Best to confirm tho of course