Sign in to follow this  
Modrods

How to check hours other than the meter on a 2008 avalanche??

Modrods    0

I am buying a 2008 avalanche and I want to make sure the hours are correct. It looks like it has a aftermarket hour gauge. Can I plug it in at a dealer and what type diagnostics plug will it be??

fjohnp    2

I had a similar situation when I bought my boat -  turns out the after market hour meter was broken and stuck at 200 hours.    I was reading up on the new perfect pass style system and came across this in the user manual:

If the newer style multi-line Perfect Pass is installed, power up the boat (not start it) and with the Perfect Pass powered on, press the Menu and up button at the same time.  That will show a new menu and you can scroll down to through the "System Info" which will pull the hour meter from the boat engine (I believe).  http://www.perfectpass.com/sites/all/themes/perfectpass - Copy/images/wakeboardpro65mechanical.pdf - look at page 6. 

Alternatively, if you do take it dealer they can pull the info from the engine including engine hours and the amount of time spent at each RPM stage.  You'll get a better idea of if its been run mostly towing, idling, etc.   I would say this is a good option to know if the hours are creeping up for above average annual use in your area.   Perhaps its got higher hours, but they were spent mostly idling to keep the batteries charged up for the stereo vs. a lot of operation running under load to tow. 

Hope this helps.