Zheld5    1

Hey everyone I have a few questions regarding my 2004 elite v

1 boat is over heating I assume it is the impeller if so how hard is it to change?

2 I have water leaking in I’m thinking it’s the shaft seal if so how do I check it and/or repack it

thanks for your help the motor is a mercruser 350

InfinitySurf    302

There are some video's on both of those items on utube and I know I have seen one on this forum of impeller replacement for the 350. Impeller is an easy DIY...checking and tightening shaft packing is also fairly easy, if it needs to be replaced, little more involved, but still doable with right tools.

Zheld5    1

Well under further investigation it seems as though I need a water pump, shaft seal, new belt and evidently the boat needs to be gone over as the previous owner did very little mantance. Looks like I’ll be out for most of the season

InfinitySurf    302
3 hours ago, Zheld5 said:

Well under further investigation it seems as though I need a water pump, shaft seal, new belt and evidently the boat needs to be gone over as the previous owner did very little mantance. Looks like I’ll be out for most of the season

Sorry to hear that man, sucks for sure. If it did not already have a dripless, be a good time to upgrade the shaft seal.

Make sure you check all the fluids, not only oil and filter for engine....but also the v-drive oil and trans oil.

Good to change the fuel filters since that likely was not done and can cause issues if not done at least every other year, I change mine yearly. Remove and check the distributor cap (likely has green corrosion on it), plugs and wires.....these are all easy to DIY, fairly cheap and normal maintenance items every few years.

That is not an engine I am really familiar with....many others here are and may be able to point you toward other items that can be issues if neglected. Congrats on the new boat...it will be worth it once you have it right and doing it yourself gives a feeling of satisfaction AND you know its done and done right. Keep a log on the boat so when you sell the buyer will know you did not neglect.