Sign in to follow this  
bomoseen avy

New board

bomoseen avy    45

Intermediate surfer. 6’2”, 180#,  been riding about nine seasons now. Over the last 5 to 6 years have surfed mostly surf style boards. Started on a IS squirt, moved to an older (maroon) sweet spot for a couple seasons,  then bought a used soulcraft jetty which I used behind my Avy until I upgraded to an Enzo last year. With the new boat I got a phase 5 race 53.5 which I’ve happily been using since then.  Really fun, playful, nice and fast and I really have a blast with it. 

Lucky  to go on a boat demo recently and rode a newer sweet spot which pearled much less than my old one.  Ventured into some skim boards including the phase 5 diamond CL 54, hypsta 54, and diamond 54. I tried the CL first and really enjoyed it.  Not super slippery, good speed and feedback on the wave. I then moved to the hypsta  and fell in love immediately. This thing is super fast yet stable and a little wider platform.  I couldn’t quite  equal the air I get on my race, but kept reaching for the board to ride it again. This week I got to demo the diamond. To me this seemed the best of both worlds. It was very fast like the hypsta, but seems just a little stiffer and allows me to get up in the air a bit better. A little more slippery but I’m getting used to it and having a ball. Easy to butter and maintain speed, even riding switch ( with the rope) and as close to landing a three as ever.  Get the board in the right position at the back of the wave and it’s a rocket. I have not consistently recovered from this far back on a surf style.  

I know  these are not very technical descriptions. I’m no pro  but I spent a lot of time on the water. Happy to offer feedback on any of these boards if anybody’s looking. I was definitely impressed by phase 5 however,  they have some awesome stuff out there.

BCB27980-A347-4E62-A32C-67DE14AD7CFE.jpeg

• Like 1

DrNate    426

I bought my son a Phase 5 race the year before last and progressed immediately, landing airs and 3's like it was cool.  Very nice boards and I'd love to have one for myself.  I've been eyeing the Ahi for awhile, I think it could be good for me, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Troy    234

My buddy is looking for a board. He is 6'5" 200-220lbs and has been riding my Doomswell Neo 4'6". the Neo says for that length board only goes to 190lbs 5'11". 

Maybe he should try the Diamond 54"? any other recommendations? He doesn't want to spend a lot but wants a good board. 

Cameron    4

@bomoseen avy What board did you find is best for big air?

I am riding a skim style right now and can spin 360's no problem but can seem to get the board completely out of the water when jumping. I have never riden a surf style but have heard that the surf style is better for air. Are any of these boards a happy medium between a surf style for air and a skim style for spins?

@Troy How do you like your Doomswell? Does it meet any of my requirements above?

I can not afford to spend the money on a doomswell but if one day i can i am curious how they ride.

I am 6'2" 200lbs if that makes a huge difference.

Troy    234

I really like my Neo. At first I didn't like the 4 fins (coming from a skim board) but after riding the Neo for the last few years, I put the 4 fins on Wednesday and WOW much better. I guess I had to get use to the surf style and now it is a rocket and I can still break it loose.   Overall very happy. My only complaint is that I have dimples on the board where my feet always go. Just cosmetic but still.  

Cdifranco    463

Troy for him it can’t hurt to try a 4’8 neo. The Neo is honestly my favorite board out there. Next season they have a new board the bandwagon coming out that has a slimmer profile and lower volume that sure to be a winner. I’ve been riding it this summer and it’s fireeee

• Like 1

bomoseen avy    45
3 hours ago, Cameron said:

@bomoseen avy What board did you find is best for big air?

I am riding a skim style right now and can spin 360's no problem but can seem to get the board completely out of the water when jumping. I have never riden a surf style but have heard that the surf style is better for air. Are any of these boards a happy medium between a surf style for air and a skim style for spins?

@Troy How do you like your Doomswell? Does it meet any of my requirements above?

I can not afford to spend the money on a doomswell but if one day i can i am curious how they ride.

I am 6'2" 200lbs if that makes a huge difference.

I would have agreed with you about the surf style board getting air more easily a couple weeks ago. The Diamond 54 is definitely slipperier(?) but the more time I spend on it and find the right balance, I honestly think it's just a little different riding style. With the surf I would actually get short of breath/dry mouth and kinda tired at the end of a ride from working. I can ride a lot longer on the skim with a lot less physical work if that makes sense.

The hypsta was fast with some more traction underfoot but I would not say it is anything like the race. Still feels like a skim at heart.

I got the Diamond 54 for $540 cause it had a blem on the paint. These are all expensive boards

• Like 1