wesblake

2006 Avalanche Issues and questions

wesblake    8

Hi, search and didn't find anything yet so given I have ongoing fixes, etc with my boat, I am starting a thread.

Right now, I'm working on my engine hatch which the screws gave out on and my idle issues, so I have some questions.

1. I fixed my hatch so that's mounted again, however the lift support towers had to be fixed to and in the process, we found they were moved. We re-mounted them in the original locations but I think the previous owner also changed the lift supports because now they seem too long. Can another Avy owner with stock supports tell me what they are?
  2. I have the black scorpion. It idles fine once warmed, but when started cold I have to give it some gas to keep it running and "warm up". My parents boat has the same motor and never has this issue. What do I look for? I've changed thermostat and water fuel filter, still need to change the inline filter which I plan to do tomorrow, could it be that?

Thanks!

wesblake    8

Bump, anyone? Planning on heading to the lake this Saturday, like to get new supports ordered/on asap! Thanks again.

Troy    234

I forgot to measure last night. I have an 08 Avy also. 

Also check your distributor cap. Mine has green stuff growing in it regularly. I keep my boat inside at my shop. 

wesblake    8
42 minutes ago, Troy said:

I forgot to measure last night. I have an 08 Avy also. 

Also check your distributor cap. Mine has green stuff growing in it regularly. I keep my boat inside at my shop. 

Thanks! If I can order tonight I can overnight some. I think the weight was off too, there were 2 60lbs on there and 1 held it up, so maybe that helped rip the screws out.

Creekrat82    4

On your idle issue I’d check your intake area. Take some wd40 or starting fluid and start the motor and spray it around the intake and all of its connections. If at any time the motor idles up  then you have an intake leak. A lot of times an intake leak will be there when it’s cold but go away after everything is warmed up and all the components expand

wesblake    8

Anyone yet? I need to order these today. I used this:

https://www.boatingmag.com/installing-gas-strut-hatch-supports#page-5

And then estimated weight by materials (weight of 3/4 plywood, 1 yard vinyl, etc). I got ~25lbs for the hatch so ~42 lbs of support (or 2 x 25lbs let say). Measured and they need to be ~15" open and 12" closed. That seems too light to me.

wesblake    8

Found the correct shocks, not sure why I didn't think of it before but they are the same as the storage hatch/seat!

For others, here is the part and they work great now! GSNI-5200-60

Now to figure out the idle thing, thanks @Creekrat82, that will be my next task to try!

wesblake    8

Oh, BTW, surfers... I'm going out tomorrow with the family. One thing I have not moved since I got the boat, the trim tab. Where do you position it for surf? It's the manually adjusted center tab, it's pretty much flat right now.

UPDATE: Hmm, I guess it's not adjustable. I assume it was because there are what looks like adjustable lock nuts on the posts, however, the plate sits in a recess in the hull screwed on with 4 large allens. It looks like the supports are just supports, the plate is not adjustable?

Edited by wesblake

InfinitySurf    302

If it is adjustable....for surfing you want the tab retracted so the bow will lift and stern sink. On adjustable ones, I run at 30-35% and think most people run between 30-50%. If you have the boat weighed but the tab is down, it will flatten your wave cause its basically lifting the stern, counter acting the weight.

prorider17    30

I'd look into replacing your IAC valve. My boat idled rough and stalled when I bought it. IAC valve solved it.

Creekrat82    4

@wesblake, if you didn’t find any air leaks on the intake then the next thing to look at is the iac valve like @prorider17 suggested. Only reason that I am leaning towards intake leak is that you stated the issue goes away once the motor is warmed up. A leak can be present on a cold motor and once everything expands after it’s nice and warm it can seal it off. 

wesblake    8

Got a VesselView Mobile, this thing is awesome! All the info, trouble codes, engine hours, etc for ~$300, was the idle air control. Thanks!

• Like 1

Kerplunk318    0
On 9/15/2018 at 11:06 AM, wesblake said:

Got a VesselView Mobile, this thing is awesome! All the info, trouble codes, engine hours, etc for ~$300, was the idle air control. Thanks!

Does it work offline? What ECM do you have? Smart craft or no? Trying to figure out if it will work on my '04.