Sign in to follow this  
bard

looking at buyaing a 2006 cenurion avalanche. any advice

bard    1

Hello.  First post but been lurking for a while. A 2006 Centurion Avalanche C4 just came up for sale in my area and it's real low hours.  under 200.   I'm new to surf boats but had this boat on my short list.  just wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out for or things to avoid about this boat? From the pics and video it looks real clean and well taken care of.  Love the site by the way. 

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

bomoseen avy    45

Awesome boat! Tell us what you plan on using it for (surf already by the sounds of it) and shoot us a list of options it currently sports (PP, Aplate, bags vs stock tanks, speakers, etc.) or send the link. Brought my 3 boys up on an Avy, great all around family boat.

If you like to slalom ski as your main use it is possible but this is not the boat for you

bard    1

https://classifieds.castanet.net/details/2006_centurion_avalanche_c4/3546870/

here is the add. Going to have a look tomorrow morning.  It will be used mainly for surfing.  Also pulling kids on the tube and maybe a little wake boarding. Kids are still fairly young.  I don’t see a perfect pass system and from what I understand that is almost a must have?  

bomoseen avy    45

looks sweet! Nice color combo. You've got a wind dam, tinted glass, nice bimini, and looks like an equalizer although I don't recognize the upgraded inboats, and I'm guessing removable faceplate head unit-bluetooth is definitely nice if that's present. Otherwise look for plenty of aux-in as kids will take over your music if they haven't already.

I don't see sideswipe exhaust which can get in the way of ballast bags. Wondering if he has 1000# bags in the rear lockers. I had a port custom avy bag that was 1500#. Should have a center tank and ask if there is bow ballast. i ran a 400# fatsac in the bow and a 150# on the swim platform, too. Lead will do the same thing. Ask if he has the sprinkler valves-you will probably want to swap those out.

You will need PP to surf so factor that in. I tried without it and was extremely frustrating-way too many things to pay attention to driving to keep the throttle at a constant speed with that much weight on. Ask seller what his surf set up is.  You can evenly weight with suckgate or list. Factor in who in your crew is goofy or regular.

If Goofy riders may want A plate for trim tab. A Lenco or Bennett is preferable to the manual turnbuckle variety to help clean up the wave. High altitude prop (I had 911 and loved it) is a bonus for surfing. Dripless shaft seal also a bonus. Make sure it was maintained with low hours on a 12 year old boat. Make sure all gauges are accurate and in working order, especially fuel. Also check Nav lights and docking lights. Heaters and hot/cold shower are gravy.

Good luck!

rhino89523    34

We have an Avy, non C-4 and love it. My wife pulls me surfing without perfect pass on and does a great job...better than my friends with the pass on, so it can be done without perfect pass. I tow everyone with pass on, not sure why but my wife likes it off. I run the 911 prop, I may go one lower for the altitude we are at mostly (6000') but it does the job and at sea level is a beast. I run the bag that fills the locker and under the seat on the port side, think those are like 1500lbs? and then run a 400lb in the locker under the walkthrough and an 800lb on top of it in the walkway. I have another 800 I mess with depending on people but I personally like the wave when it's a bit bow high and sunk in the back. We run a gate as it's almost 50/50 goofy to regular. Mine also has the center tank...think it's like 300lb. 

I think the Avy is a pretty great boat, it's a little sensitive for wakeboarding but you just move people around a little, the boat surfs pretty well. I am a big guy and like my Avy wave better than most others I have surfed...all of which came in with a price tag 5 times plus more than my boat. Avy throws a pretty good wave with pretty good push....my kids surf in another time zone.

Troy    234

Love my 08 Avy. Great Boats. Not a bad idea to have a pre-buy inspection done.