Jakelegg    6

This has probably already been discussed somewhere on this site but I can’t find it!

anyway I finally had an A-Plate manufactured and had it installed on my 2012 sv 244.     I can tell a slight difference in my goofy wave but the spray is pretty bad.    It is even spraying a little in my regular side.   Any suggestions?   Thanks!

bomoseen avy    45

I know you were talking about FAE on your previous post. Is that installed also are do you just have A plate?

InfinitySurf    302

I have the A-plate and FAE on my 2014 SV24....I get some spray too, but get such a good wave and think the pros well outweight the cons of the FAE so I deal with it. Larry does may a spray relief plate, but my FAE is mounted too close to A plate so that I cannot use his standard system....hoping he will design me something a bit different that will work.

I either get some spray from FAE back toward surfer (but not enough to bother anything).....or if heavily weighted and trim plate used, sometimes the spray kicks back to sundeck. Annoying sometimes, but again I am too happy with the great wave to be that bothered about it. I think the deep V hull creates a pocket of air behind the boat where the water comes back together and that is RIGHT where the FAE and the trim plate contact the water and what causes the spray and why some other boats do not have it. A lot of other boats dont have our wave either tho....so its all good in my eyes.

Jakelegg    6

Thanks... I just have the a-plate.    I decided against getting the fae.    Getting really tempted to buy a new boat!  Love  my wave but pain to switch setup to goofy.     

Getting a lot of spray from the new a plate.

InfinitySurf    302
8 hours ago, Jakelegg said:

Thanks... I just have the a-plate.    I decided against getting the fae.    Getting really tempted to buy a new boat!  Love  my wave but pain to switch setup to goofy.     

Getting a lot of spray from the new a plate.

Get a Nauticurl suck gate....will take you 30 seconds to switch from regular wave to goofy and you should not have the same issues getting clean wave on goofy side using suck gate. Its worth $250 to try (or make homemade one)

Shaka    146

Need to see pics of your A plate. Mine sprayed pretty good until I figured out that I didn't have enough up angle. Once I fixed that everything was good.

Jakelegg    6

I will get the pics next time I go out... it may be a couple of weeks.   Thanks for your help.

Shaka, after reading a few more posts... mine is mounted under the boat where the old (stock) one was.   Does it need to be slightly above the bottom of the transom?

Shaka    146

Mine is mounted under as well. That naturally will cause a bit of turbulence but there are things you can do. My first problem is that my wing wasn't bent up enough. I had it bent so the angle was a little more than the bottom of the boat. The other was I had to move the mounting bracket back so that I could get more up angle. Initially the up angle of my plate was barely above flat. Once I got more up angle the spray went away.  

Last year I used a suck gate and weighting more evenly made things even better. this year I designed a surf system and that's working out well too.

Jake707    171

I just finally built mine as well. Did it in the double wing shape but then read that the double didn't work well at all so I cut off the starboard side wing leaving about an inch upward bend on that side instead of just straight off.  I will be taking it out this weekend so hopefully it doesn't affect my regular side badly and cleans up my currently horrible goofy side.

InfinitySurf    302

Tough to see from that angle, but it looks similar to the factory A-plate that came on my 2014. When you say spray....you talking about it creating a rooster tail behind you when you have it deployed pretty far? When I am not weighted and pulling kids kneeboarding, it does that from 60-100% deployed....but when weighted, not nearly as much, course I also rarely deploy past 50% when surfing.

Or you saying it literally sprays off side of plate...cause if that is the case, mine does not do that.

Jakelegg    6

I am pretty sure the spray is coming from the gap between the boat and the A-Plate.

I think the wing needs to be bent up a little.

Jake707    171

I got mine mounted last night but I cant post pictures anymore.

Mine is a "fixed" position mount with the turnbuckles. I currently have it pulled slightly up from the hull, should It be more level with the hull or even pushed down below the hull at all?

InfinitySurf    302
On 7/18/2018 at 11:58 AM, Jake707 said:

I got mine mounted last night but I cant post pictures anymore.

Mine is a "fixed" position mount with the turnbuckles. I currently have it pulled slightly up from the hull, should It be more level with the hull or even pushed down below the hull at all?

My factory A-plate is approx 1/2" above the hull....so there is 1/2" gap between the bottom of the plate and the bottom of the hull.

Jake707    171

So I had a double wing wing made but then read someone said it didn’t work at all with the double so I cut the starboard side down to just a small 1” angle up thinking it couldn’t hurt so that’s what I tested this weekend. 

I got a great goofy wave now with the plate so it def helped there. But the regular wave was trash in comparison to what we had with the smaller stock plate. 

Luckily I brought my angle grinder and cut off wheel camping so I hacked the whole starboard side off so it lined up with where the stock plate was before then took it back out. It was closer to what it was before but now it almost seems the goofy is better than regular. 

Angone have similar results like this? Should I have kept it a double wing?

as for spray I did not have any as my plate replaced the stock plate not bolted to the bottom of it. 

Shaka    146

The A plate made my goofy better than my regular. The regular is still great but the goofy got that much better.

Jake707    171

well dam. now I wish I ran it as the double wing first to see if it created a nice lip on the regular wave like it does with the goofy now

Troy    234

Someone else ran a plate with a wing on both sides and the wave wasn't good If I remember correctly.