-HONCHO-

What anchor system are you using?

-HONCHO-    13

While at the lake this 4th of July I attempted to anchor up to shore for the first time in pretty rough water, up until now I've never had the need to. I was totally unimpressed with the anchor I had with all the rollers and chop blasting the beach which got me thinking, what is everybody using for an anchor system? 

Ive had my eye on the box anchors that fold down and can be stowed away. https://www.slideanchor.com/boxanchor/ 

As funny as it would be to roll with an anchor like from the Queen Anne's Revenge there has to be a pretty slick system out there that works well for our type of boats. 

Wylie_Tunes    146

Ive found that anchoring bow out, then shore spike tied to the stern, works best in this scenario. Type of anchor does not matter as much as long as its suited for the lake bottom and enough rode is used. 

The rollers split the bow much better then slapping against the transom. 

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

I know a LOT of people love the box anchor...myself included. I hated to anchor up till I got a box anchor, holds the boat incredibly. I use small size with my 24ft boat and when my brother comes with another large boat, it will hold us both. Things I really like about it: No chain needed and rope is 2:1 compared to having to pay out a lot more with most other anchors.

Wylie is right on the money as usual. A bungee line on anchor size works nice for 2 reasons...keeps anchor set when water is rough since it will have give and not pull anchor up....and if you have the spike at shore, when ready you can pull the boat back in, climb on and then the bungee will pull you back out. 

• Like 1

-HONCHO-    13

So I've been investigating this set up; anchor buddy and the large box anchor. I believe this combo will be the cats meow. I already have a shore spike so I'm good to go there.

I understand the principle behind the anchor buddy pulling your boat back out to deeper water but what I'm not understanding is, whats stopping your boat from being blown back to shore due to wind or heavy rollers or into another boat close by if the line can stretch?

Edited by -HONCHO-

Wylie_Tunes    146

With the bow away from shore, the boat is not as big a target for the wind a waves to push on. So once you set the primary anchor and pay out the desired rode as you back towards shore, you tie off the rode once that distance to shore is reached. Off the transom, you anchor the boat to shore. 

Im a fluke style anchor guy, and carry two plus a shore spike. Regardless of your anchor of choice, its mainly technique and practice. 

InfinitySurf    302

Trust me, you do NOT want the large sized box anchor. You could hold 4 boats with the large (pretty sure the small even says is rated for up to 30ft boat...cant imagine what large says()... Small is plenty but if you want more, I would not go over medium, you will regret having to lug/store the large when not needed. Just my opinion. With my small, holds my 24ft boat loaded with 5k of ballast and a 28ft pontoon. Now in a storm, you may want larger....but normal conditions, that thing holds like crazy.

Disclaimer.....never used it on rock and have heard some people say its not so great with rock bottom

-HONCHO-    13

Roger that on the large sized box anchor. I ran across this little guy today while researching https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--stowaway-folding-anchors--P014063861

I believe the 25lb will do the trick. Most of the lakes I frequent around Washington State are sand or mud bottoms AND they sell the anchor buddy also. One stop shopping :D

InfinitySurf    302

This anchor looks pretty sweet! Says 25lb will hold up to 40ft boat, cannot beat the price either. I like it

• Like 1

-HONCHO-    13

So in the quest for off shore anchoring i did indeed swing by West Marine today and pick up this anchor. 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--stowaway-folding-anchors--P014063861

She is a beauty at 25lbs and galvanized dipped and is basically one side of the almighty box anchor and as Infinity said, how can you go wrong for half price?  It came with its own stow away bag and folds down almost flat minus the pitch of the flukes which is about 2-3 inches. I also picked up the anchor buddy and a slalom buoy as a marker for when I'm out and about. I already own a sand spike and double braided 3/8 anchor line so i believe i am good to go. i won't be back in the water until Sunday but i will be sure to report back on my experience which I'm pretty sure is going to be top notch.

Cameron    4
On 7/6/2018 at 7:54 PM, Wylie_Tunes said:

Ive found that anchoring bow out, then shore spike tied to the stern, works best in this scenario. Type of anchor does not matter as much as long as its suited for the lake bottom and enough rode is used. 

The rollers split the bow much better then slapping against the transom. 

@Wylie_Tunes Is there any way to shoot you a private message?

Wylie_Tunes    146

Sorry @cameron, I do not use PM. You can ask away here or start a thread of your own.

Cameron    4
1 hour ago, Wylie_Tunes said:

Sorry @cameron, I do not use PM. You can ask away here or start a thread of your own.

I have been researching all day through the forums and came across your email address so i sent you an email.

-HONCHO-    13

I got off of work early today and it was 92 out so we took the boat out with a couple hours of daylight left. I threw my new anchor system in the boat so i could sneak in a test run. Couldn't be more pleased! i threw her out with 50' of line in 28' of water and she held like a champ, granted the lake was pretty calm but the wind was a steady 10mph. Upon pulling her up i found two fist size rocks in between the sets of flukes. The flukes weren't even buried in mud like i thought, she was resting on the bottom. 25lb anchor held my 238 solid! Im pretty stoked. She folds up pretty nice and i keep her right next to my fire extinguisher under the passenger seat.

IMG_1177.jpg.912c559db9829606ac0c7bb408da0162.jpgIMG_1176.jpg.80f0db46b6201587f42c9bbc0ff46953.jpg

• Like 1