Creekrat82

Buying first surf/board boat

Creekrat82    4

The family and I live up on grand lake in northeast Oklahoma and after sitting for 6 years I rebuilt the transmission in my parents 86 tristar 190 and got her back seaworthy. Spending more time on the water has been great and the Mrs has given me the go ahead to start actively searching for a boarding/surf boat for us. We were initially looking at some pricey options for a much newer boat but we have decided to go with something a little older and less expensive so we can work on getting debt free or at least closer to it and the potential to go out and get the dream boat in 3-5 years.  The budget we’re looking at is $45,000 max and I happened across a 2008 Enzo SV230 that’s just a couple hours from me. This is copy and pasted from the ad. 

2008 Enzo Wake / Surf boat 

You and your lake crew will love this boat - you can do it all - water sports to cruising the big lakes. 

Bow seating with walk thru windshield and V-drive allows for spacious seating in the cockpit. Bow filler cushion converts the front into a playpen sun pad. USCG rated for 12 people. 

6 cockpit speakers and Wet Sounds 12" tower speakers powered by Wet Sounds amp to play your tunes loud. Phone input and USB charging for streaming music. 

This tow boat has four factory hard ballest tanks (with switches for fill/empty) to tune the wake for skiing, wakeboard riding or surfing. It will throw a monster surf wake!  

I have also added a Sampson swing in board rack, tower mounted wide angle mirror and extra ballest bag. The Enzo has a huge swim platform, built in cooler and many large storage compartments to get all of your stuff off the floor.

Mercruiser Black Scorpion 6.2L fuel injected engine with Perfect Pass GPS speed control. Includes factory electronic adjustable "Switch Blade" exhaust system. 

Sharp looking black and red hull, silver graphics and a comfortable light gray interior. Tower is black and includes removable sun top. Boat comes with a custom storage/trailering cover. Tower will fold down, swim platform removes and trailer coupler swings away for more compact garage storage. 

Tandem axel trailer with alloy wheels. Nearly new tires and spare. Drive on trailer has LED lights and surge brakes so no brake controller required on tow vehicle. 

Rear seat has a couple of places where seam stitching is open and sun pad is a little tired too. Nothing to stop you and your crew from enjoying the lake right now!

What would be some things to look for when checking out this boat?  The guy says it has 375 hours and I’m not too concerned with the vinyl since it is a now 11 year old boats that dealers are about to get the 19s in. I know we’re going to have to upgrade the ballast for surfing and that would be done right out of the gate. Any other insight or boats that y’all may come across is welcomed. 

Troy    234

If it has the "Switch Blade" AWESOME. check the rams and where it bolts to the boat.

If it has "Side Swipe" exhaust, lots of guys on here don't like how loud it is. there are mufflers to help quiet it down. and you lose a bit of ballast area in the lockers. 

The 6.2 is nice. 

GPS speed control is an upgrade/update, I think. My 2008 had the paddle wheel speed control.

If it has the Evolution Tower, check the poles running from the tower to in front of the windshield, sometimes those get water in them and can freeze and crack the poles. 

Welcome to the crew!

Edited by Troy

bomoseen avy    45

no experience with the switchblade-do you still need an A-plate if you wanna surf goofy?

All in all sounds like an awesome starter boat! As long as you know you will be swapping out the hard tanks for surfing and factor that into your budget, I think you're good. Great wave off that hull!! 

Hein    63

We have the same boat and really like it. Spits out a great wave the way we have it setup. I've removed the hard tanks  and put in bags plus have done a bunch of other stuff.  Check out my build thread below.   I would seriously consider an offer in the mid to upper 40s' for our boat.

Bigcatpt    408

Guy doesn't really know what he has.  "switchblade exhaust system".  That is a new one.  

Switchblade = cool but check the ram arms.  I think they are getting hard to find.          Sideswipe = deal breaker

And everything Troy said....he nailed it.  

Creekrat82    4

Yeah, I was looking closely at the pictures and it does not have the switchblade but is equipped with the sideswipe. 

Creekrat82    4
1 hour ago, Hein said:

We have the same boat and really like it. Spits out a great wave the way we have it setup. I've removed the hard tanks  and put in bags plus have done a bunch of other stuff.  Check out my build thread below.   I would seriously consider an offer in the mid to upper 40s' for our boat.

Hein, i’d definitely be interested if you could shoot me some details please sir. 

Edited by Creekrat82

Creekrat82    4

On those year model Enzo’s what bags, size and brand, are made to fit when you remove the hard tanks?  I’m talking about the largest possible for the space available 

bomoseen avy    45

Not sure on that year and model. But I'll put a plug in for CrewAdmin here. I bought a bunch of FlyHigh sacs including a custom avy bag and they walked me through the whole process for my specific boat. I was doing a ballast build and they even sourced me extra tubing! Take advantage of their knowledge and PM them. I don't know if you want 1100# bags in rear lockers or Enzo sac...

Creekrat82    4

Of course I can’t leave well enough alone and found another boat that’s closer to me and almost half the price. This one is a 2006 avy c4 with the storm 3 package and 430 hours that the guy is asking $24,000 for. Hoping to go check it out sometime this week. From the pictures I’ve seen the interior looks to be in great shape for a 13 year old boat and appears to be pretty well taken care of. Although I’d like the Enzo I’m not sure I can pass this one up. With trailer the thing is booking out at over 32k. If I were to get this one the first thing I’d do is remove the hard tanks and upgrade to bags that will give me the maximum amount of ballast that’s hidden. 

8944B4FC-562D-45A5-B3ED-5D21A6DA654B.jpeg

• Like 2

dreikorncr    7

If that's a real deal and its in good shape, that is fantastic. We just sold our 2006 C4 Avy for about what your book value estimate is, and it is worth every penny. We ran 750 fat sacs along with the stock center tank with a Mission Delta shaper and the wave was awesome. You can fit the 1100lbs bags in each locker, but when they are filled all the way you won't be able to fit vests or other storage in there comfortably (you may be able to but in my experience it was too tight of a fit). Then again, you can throw those in there and only fill them up a certain amount and it will work fine! Add a few extra people or some lead and it gets even better. That has the pro flight tower with the higher bimini too which is a great. I see side swipe exhaust which can be loud, but you can blow the exhaust to the other side if you like it OR there are ways to get rid of it all together. Fresh Air Exhaust makes a kit to eliminate it and convert to FAE, which is awesome. Great entry level surf boat into the sport!

Creekrat82    4

Definitely real. The guy actually took the ad down after I emailed him but was able to talk to him on the phone several times and he is mailing the storage unit keys to his friend so that he can show me the boat. 

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

If it looks good and runs good, I would have the cash in hand to make sure you dont loose that boat....or he does not realize he could get more moeny (make sure you see the title too). That price is a STEAL....you could keep it for years and get your money out of it. I am thinking you are lucky he took down the ad cause he would likely get a crapload of calls on that boat with buyers ready to go right then, I know I would not wait if you feel like its a real deal. Lucky find!

• Like 1

Creekrat82    4

I haven’t even had a chance to go look at it yet. Work sent me to Louisiana for a few days and tomorrow, Sunday, They’re flying me out to Kenai for 3 weeks. Also, looks like we’re doing a refi on our house so that may put it off even longer unfortunately. If I don’t get it maybe I can sweet talk the Mrs into a ri257....:lol: