Aquaholic1

17’ S238 surf setups

Aquaholic1    3

I know there are multiple posts on this, but they’re all a bit older and a pain to search through all of them. Hoping some new setups have come up since we’re halfway through summer. I have a 17’ 238 with 1000# sumos and usually 4-6 adults in the in the boat.... got a pretty good wave as it is, but I know it could be better. what are the setups you guys are using that I could try? I ride goofy, but both setups welcome. Also I’m surfing a river so speeds very on which direction and current unfortunately 

-HONCHO-    13
7 hours ago, Aquaholic1 said:

I know there are multiple posts on this, but they’re all a bit older and a pain to search through all of them. Hoping some new setups have come up since we’re halfway through summer. I have a 17’ 238 with 1000# sumos and usually 4-6 adults in the in the boat.... got a pretty good wave as it is, but I know it could be better. what are the setups you guys are using that I could try? I ride goofy, but both setups welcome. Also I’m surfing a river so speeds very on which direction and current unfortunately 

Speed- 11.1

Quick fill- 100% Port and Starboard 

-Goofy-

65% PNP Port

100% PNP Starboard

0 Trim

-Regular-

100% PNP Port & Starboard

75-100 trim plus speed to length it out if need be

i personally don't fill the center or bow tank or bow bag and i shift bodies around according to mass, heaviest in the corner of the surf side on out to the glove box and vise versa. if you're dipping your gas cap in the water you're too heavy, dump it from the PNP until good. 

This is what works for me. Good luck

• Thanks 1

Cameron    4
15 hours ago, Aquaholic1 said:

8 hours ago, -HONCHO- said:

Speed- 11.1

Quick fill- 100% Port and Starboard 

-Goofy-

65% PNP Port

100% PNP Starboard

0 Trim

-Regular-

100% PNP Port & Starboard

75-100 trim plus speed to length it out if need be

i personally don't fill the center or bow tank or bow bag and i shift bodies around according to mass, heaviest in the corner of the surf side on out to the glove box and vise versa. if you're dipping your gas cap in the water you're too heavy, dump it from the PNP until good. 

This is what works for me. Good luck

I agree with @-HONCHO-

You may have to mess around with the speeds a tad bit and the port fill % for the goofy side.

I run at 11.3 but i am going to try the 11.1.

For goofy i have found 75-80% PNP Port works great also and not as much of a list.

I have ran 0 trim for both regular and goofy but i will mess around with it for the regular as mentioned above as well.

I only fill the center and bow if the back of my boat is full of passengers and there is nobody in the bow, this way i can still get length in the wave. When i do fill them it is usually one or the other and they only get about 60% maximum but usually around 40%.

Make sure you have your actuator for the side tabs in the hole farthest from the boat. Surprisingly makes a decent difference that i had noticed anyways.

Aquaholic1    3

Thanks guys! I’ll give those ideas a shot.....    @Cameron My actuators were in the furthest position when I got it. I thought moving them to the closest holes was supposed to help?

Edited by Aquaholic1

Aquaholic1    3
2 hours ago, Aquaholic1 said:

Thanks guys! I’ll give those ideas a shot.....    @Cameron My actuators were in the furthest position when I got it. I thought moving them to the closest holes was supposed to help?

“Setups “ not ideas.....  

Canadablack    9

Last season a had major issues making a consistent regular wave which i found odd. I changed my prop to an Acme 2247 (15x14.25) to lower the insane RPM's i was having. Added midship bags. I like a lot of list

my setup now...

REGULAR

Quick Fill - 100% port / 0% Starboard

PNP - 100% port and starboard (1100 fat sacs) + 250lbs lead each side stuffed as far back as possible

Under midship seats - 100% port side 370lb fat sac / 0% starboard side 370lb fat sac

200lbs lead on the floor on the port side

Trim - 50

Quick Surf - set to 90ish give or take to clean up the wave

Speed - 11.2 /11.5

RPM is around 3600

wave is really tall and super long with a lot of push.

GOOFY

Quick Fill - 0% port / 100% Starboard

PNP - 100% port and starboard  (1100 fat sacs)+ 250lbs lead each side stuffed as far back as possible

Under midship seats - 0% port side 370lb fat sac / 100% starboard side 370lb fat sac

200lbs lead on the floor on the starboard side

Trim - 60

Quick surf - somewhere arounf 80-90

Speed - 11.3

Rpm is around 3500

wave is ridiculous.. better than the regular in my eyes

Edited by Canadablack
added list
  • Like 1

Cameron    4
On 7/6/2018 at 1:30 PM, Aquaholic1 said:

I have been taking with Hunter Clement who rides for supreme and i was told by him it is the farthest hole from the boat. I also talked to him again right before i changed mine to make sure.

• Thanks 1

MFaso    56

Farthest from the boat is correct, yes. I changed mine this season. I have a 17 s238 as well.

I use 100% on the QF and PNPs. No bow tank or bag at all. My tab is at 100. I have the wakemakers upgrade and 500lbs of lead from lead wake. I think I keep 400lbs under the surf side and the other 100 under the non surf side.

Since I usually ride with only a driver and my young(light) kids, I also put a 450lb sumo on the floor. It's not needed but it makes a difference and I'm used to it. When I have a few friends with me to replace that 450, I leave it out.

• Thanks 1

mfenton2    2

I have a 17 s238 and we all ride goofy.

I fill all the QF and upgraded the rear so sumo 1000s. Fill both them all the way. Fill center tank but not the bow bag.

Put a 300 pound bag under the driver side mid seat and then if its just 2-3 people in boat I will put a 750 on top of that seat and the boat will be listed but the wave is amazing. If I have a 5-8 People in boat I will still fill the 300 pound bag under the driver mid seat but will just get 2 people to sit on that side and will drain some QF out the port to tune the wake right. 100% surf tab and play with the stinger plate to clean it up. Runing about 10.5 to 11.0 just depending on what board we are riding. 

The 750 on the seat has been the biggest wave I had yet! 

I can add some to the bow bag to make the wave a little longer just depending on what im feeling and how many beers I have in me. 

• Thanks 1

Aquaholic1    3
On 7/19/2018 at 7:51 PM, prorider17 said:

All these setups and no pics!

I still haven’t figured out how to post pics....