Sign in to follow this  
Chevypower

help identify this prop

Chevypower    1

Hey guys, I have a 2003 Hurricane running the stock prop at 4k feet.  Surfing with about 1500 lbs of ballast.  I have an aftermarket 4 blade aluminum prop that I can't identify.  It has the numbers 0104 on the shaft, and 1318LS-X1 on it also.  I would upload the picture bit it won't.  Can someone help me ID this prop and decide if it's worth installing? 

InfinitySurf    302
1 hour ago, Chevypower said:

Hey guys, I have a 2003 Hurricane running the stock prop at 4k feet.  Surfing with about 1500 lbs of ballast.  I have an aftermarket 4 blade aluminum prop that I can't identify.  It has the numbers 0104 on the shaft, and 1318LS-X1 on it also.  I would upload the picture bit it won't.  Can someone help me ID this prop and decide if it's worth installing? 

You can use this link to resize picture so its small enough to post. http://www.resizeimage.net/

Typically, the prop number and size is located on the hub, right where nut would tighten up, sounds like that one may be different. Have you dry fit it on boat to make sure it will fit on the shaft and will not be too close to hull? Ideally you want to be at least 3/4" away from the hull from closest point on prop blades (some people have run 1/2"-5/8", not sure I would risk that tho) , so you do not get "prop burn".

Best guess from numbers you posted....maybe its 13" diameter X 18" pitch with left spin/rotation? Never seen numbers like that on a prop, do you know what prop you currently have on the boat?

rhino89523    34

I'd go with the same guess without seeing it, 13" x 18pitch left hand on a 1" shaft.

WakeDoc    471

Believe the prop would be stainless and made by Cutter?

Chevypower    1

When I purchased the boat it had this prop on it.  The owner of the boat only used the boat on Shasta Lake in California (800 foot elevation) , and I only run the boat at Lost Creek Lake in Oregon at 1800 foot elevation.  Sooo, I took this 4 blade aluminum prop off, put the factory 3 blade prop on and ran it.  Now that we only surf i'm looking for a better bottom end performing prop and wanted to see if this one will work.  I'll post pic if i can figure out the formating.

Chevypower    1

Infinitysurf, I have the stock prop now, but don't have much out of the hole when trying to pull up a surfer.

rhino89523    34

I know nothing about that prop, doing an Acme prop search for a 2003 Hurricane it says you should be running a 911 at altitude for surfing etc. that's a 13" prop with a 10.5 pitch and a 1 and an eighth shaft. assuming yours is an 18 pitch....thats not going to work. What I don't get with the prop in your hand is the X1 at the end of the prop spec, I would think it would have the 1/8 on it....even if someone did a rebore I would think they would restamp. The 911 recommendation is for heavily weighted/altitude...not sure if your elevation counts...I run a 911 at near sea level sometimes with a few thousand pounds and it works cool...just don't over rev when empty.

Edited by rhino89523

InfinitySurf    302
7 hours ago, Chevypower said:

Infinitysurf, I have the stock prop now, but don't have much out of the hole when trying to pull up a surfer.

The factory 3 blade prop you have on the boat now...what kind of prop is that...is it the #515? It may help determine what you need to get a good surf prop and may also confirm the diameter size of your shaft since this aftermarket one in pics seems to be stumping all of us due to abnormal markings (compared to ACME and OJ props). Seems this aftermarket is likely a 13" diameter....with 18" pitch. A prop like that is not going to work for low end torque and ballasted surfing like Rhino said. In fact it will be the exact opposite and be a high end prop, likely for skiing or barefooting (top speed). The lower the pitch, the more low end you will have cause it will spin faster and the higher the pitch, the faster boat will go cause there will be less revolutions (18" pitch means that for one full revolution, it will move the boat forward 18".....so a 12" pitch will only move it forward 12"), but it will be spinning faster so you will "come out of the hole" faster. The "con" is lower top speed.

Sounds like your factory prop (if in fact it is the original) is gonna be a #515 (3-blade.....13" diameter X 12" pitch), they call this the "recreational/everything prop". Wakemakers lists the #525 prop for your boat (3-blade....13" diameter X 11.5" pitch)....(this does not add much extra low end over the factory prop) and they say "this prop is ideal for Direct Drive, weighted boats that want to wakeboard/surf and still want to be able to pull a skier across the lake".

I think the #911 (13" X 10.5") is MOST ideal for you out of these 3 options when surfing with ballast as that will add low end for sure and change how boat reacts quite a bit (lot more low end, but will also reduce the top end a good bit)...this way you would have a prop for surfing and one for skiing (the factory one you now have). WakeMakers actually still lists this prop as:  "this prop is ideal for Direct Drive, weighted boats that want to wakeboard/surf and still want to be able to pull a skier or cruise across the lake". So it should not redline your rpm too badly since they still list it as viable option for your boat.

Like Rhino said tho, with prop like the #911, you need to test it and MUST be careful not to redline (over rev) the boat engine at higher speeds when you are not surfing and have the boat empty and are cruising across the lake. You should look up your engine and find out what the max (WOT) rpm is for your engine so you can be SURE not to exceed it. If for instance the max is 5000rpm.....I personally would never run the rpm over 4800 to be sure you do not hurt the engine. Manual for every boat warns against running the engine for extended periods of time OVER 4000rpm cause it is hard on the engine over time. So you will likely not want to ski with this prop and as long as surfing is your primary activity....and you are willing to be careful to watch the rpm when cruising and are ok with loosing 5+mph on the top end, you will be fine. If you do want to ski, swap prop back to factory for the day and you are good. Its possible that rpm will be fine with this prop, just something to be aware of so you can test it when you first install to be sure you know how it works on boat.

A smart thing to do would also be to call ACME directly to ask them for their advice since they have TONS of historical data on most boats/props. You will need to get some info before they call, cause to answer you, they will ask you what prop you currently have on the boat....what elevation you run at.....what engine you have in the boat (so you know rpm max and what kind of power is pushing the prop).....  how much ballast and people you typically have in the boat and what your prop is currently doing for you and what you WANT it to do. They may be able to give you another 4-blade prop option that will hook up good for you and not over rev engine. I do not have any personal experience with your boat.

In my experience, either Nettle Props in Austin, TX or Wakemakers have the best pricing on props. Once you know what prop you want, I would call around for some pricing.

rhino89523    34

Man Infinity nailed it...All of it.

You can get props re-pitched as well, but I forget to what extent but it isn't a lot, assuming that's an 18 you might be able to get a numerical pitch number or two out of it...but you are not going to be able to go from an 18 to an 10.5....I forget what my prop guy said but if memory serves you can pitch up further than you can flatten out. It would be cool to see what the markings on your other prop are to make some sense out of the whole thing.

Chevypower    1

Thanks guys, I will pull the nut off the shaft and see what prop is on it now and report back.