Dreamer    96

I replaced the QF valves in my 2014 SV244 and this error is showing up occasionally. Has anyone else seen this?

A6C2B11B-BB19-4BD6-87C8-81F23D851453.jpeg

DrNate    426

I've never seen this but I'll bump your thread.  Obvious question is have you inspected the valves?  Are they opening and closing?

InfinitySurf    302

I have the Drainmaster valves on my Ramfill....I have actually not seen the QF valves in person to inspect. I see the back drains on boats look the same, but do they use pumps to fill the ballast or is there a scoop under the boat to fill like the Ramfill does?

Anyway, I regularly lube mine with silicone spray (both intake and drain valves). With valve closed and from exterior of boat....I spray valves well and then open/close them a few times and then leave them open when boat is not in use. I heard that using trailer mode to keep them open when not using helps them to not stick and in the 2yrs I have had boat....the combination of lubing regularly and leaving them open when on trailer has worked great for me and they have never stuck. On Drainmasters anyway, I do not see a way to lube them from inside of boat, the Valterra valves may be different. Since I have not had issues with my Drainmasters, I have not installed the Valterra valves I have in boxes.

My guess is there is some resistance at the valve which is why the fault is being thrown, maybe the lube will make it work easier so it does not happen?

Dreamer    96

These are new valves I just installed. I just have to hit the open valve tab again and it will fill. Emptying doesn't seem to be an issue.

h20king    794

If I recall there is some wiring change when switching to the valteras. Pat Brian NWBS? Have a  answer?

Dreamer    96

I did not switch valves. I just replaced them with the Drainmasters.

InfinitySurf    302
2 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Perhaps these new Drainmaster valves are somehow drawing more current and why the fault is coming up?

Can you verify if there is still a "Scoop" under boat with Quickfill (like Ramfill) and gates open to flood....or if its pumps to fill? I have a friend who recently bought a 2014 SV233 and it has Quickfill. Its his first inboard and I have been helping him....would like to know a little bit about how the Quickfill works since this is first time I have encountered it.

We took boat out last Saturday for a test run...it did not appear to have gates when system is flooded (if there are they are located in different place than the Ramfill on my 2014 SV44)....it took quite a while for the QF system to show it was full. Draining of course was quicker since it comes out of the gates at rear like Ramfill.

Could you also verify how much water ballast the QF holds. I heard its 500lbs per side, is that correct?

Dreamer    96

The QF ballast has the valves on the transom under the platform. You have to fill when stationary, and empty when driving. 500lbs per side sounds about right.

you can hear and feel the air being pushed out of the tanks when filling at the thru-hulls near the gas caps.

Nick213    583
3 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Perhaps these new Drainmaster valves are somehow drawing more current and why the fault is coming up?

Can you verify if there is still a "Scoop" under boat with Quickfill (like Ramfill) and gates open to flood....or if its pumps to fill? I have a friend who recently bought a 2014 SV233 and it has Quickfill. Its his first inboard and I have been helping him....would like to know a little bit about how the Quickfill works since this is first time I have encountered it.

We took boat out last Saturday for a test run...it did not appear to have gates when system is flooded (if there are they are located in different place than the Ramfill on my 2014 SV44)....it took quite a while for the QF system to show it was full. Draining of course was quicker since it comes out of the gates at rear like Ramfill.

Could you also verify how much water ballast the QF holds. I heard its 500lbs per side, is that correct?

Like @Dreamer said the quick surf fill and drain holes are at the transom of the boat, in the same location as your ramfill drains (even look the same). With quickfill the valves open at a idle or stationary fill and at 10MPH+ drain. It seems to me though that they fill faster then drain in my boat, I'll have to check the timers.

Ramfill and quick fill are an identical system as I know it with the difference being a "scupper" and gate valve on the bottom of the boat to fill and gate valve on the transom to empty. Quickfill works with just the gate valve to fill and empty on the transom.

I personally like the concept of quickfill over ramfill because there's less parts, electrical, and holes. Granted ramfill is a quicker system filling because it forces water into the tanks but I can't see it being minutes.

EDIT:  With the larger ramfill tanks require a forced water fill because the tanks are higher then the water line, the quickfill tanks stop at or lower then the water line so they fill all the way when stationary. I.E. the reason for the design.

Edited by Nick213

InfinitySurf    302

Makes sense that it tool longer to fill, cause he was not at idle when filling the QF which would have caused it to fill much slower (since drains were probably a bit out of the water since he was moving forward at probably 7-8mph. Makes a lot more sense now that they fill and drain from the rear valves, thanks for the education on how it works guys.

DrNate    426
21 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I hate to say it, but there is your issue.  I went through like 5 Drainmasters before I bit the bullet and switched to Velterras.  It's not hard to do and I haven't had a single issue yet!  Best mod I ever did

InfinitySurf    302

I might change mine out this winter if I could find a good write up showing exactly how its done....so far I have not found anything that is comprehensive with enough pics to make me comfortable doing it myself, cause I know at rear valves, they have to be turned some so plungers do not hit the dividers and also know the wiring has to be changed out since they are different (which did not come in the Valterra kit I got). I honestly have not had a single problem with my Drainmasters, but knowing the issues others have had, I am OCD about lubing them at least every other outing, guess that has helped me dramatically. I know its only a matter of time, so I will need to do it at some point, especially since I have everything I need except the wiring harnesses (least I think I have all I need, Fineline sent the 2 boxes to me last Fall)

Nick213    583

I've had the starboard side stick but was able to free it and luckily I haven't had a problem since. I live within 20 minutes from drainmasters factory and can get them easily, so not if but when they fail I'll get a replacement.

Cdifranco    463
19 hours ago, DrNate said:

I hate to say it, but there is your issue.  I went through like 5 Drainmasters before I bit the bullet and switched to Velterras.  It's not hard to do and I haven't had a single issue yet!  Best mod I ever did

Agreed. Should be a public service anoucement that the drainmaster valves for both quickfill boats and ram fill boats are straight garbage. 

DrNate    426
9 hours ago, Nick213 said:

I've had the starboard side stick but was able to free it and luckily I haven't had a problem since. I live within 20 minutes from drainmasters factory and can get them easily, so not if but when they fail I'll get a replacement.

If I knew you lived so close to Drainmasters place I would give you $100 to go over there and kick Doug in the shin.  I have spent many hours on the phone with this guy over 6 years talking about failing Drainmaster valves, the reasons for it, and sending him the failed ones so that he can troubleshoot.  When you're on a first name basis with the man in charge of a company for a very small but critical component of your boat that's never a good thing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DrNate    426
10 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

I might change mine out this winter if I could find a good write up showing exactly how its done....so far I have not found anything that is comprehensive with enough pics to make me comfortable doing it myself, cause I know at rear valves, they have to be turned some so plungers do not hit the dividers and also know the wiring has to be changed out since they are different (which did not come in the Valterra kit I got). I honestly have not had a single problem with my Drainmasters, but knowing the issues others have had, I am OCD about lubing them at least every other outing, guess that has helped me dramatically. I know its only a matter of time, so I will need to do it at some point, especially since I have everything I need except the wiring harnesses (least I think I have all I need, Fineline sent the 2 boxes to me last Fall)

There are many threads about the Drainmaster to Valterra switch, but I think this is the best one.  Has pictures and even video:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10021-help-quick-fill-gate-failure/&

InfinitySurf    302

Thank you, I saved to my favorites so I can reference this later when changing them

• Like 1

NW Boat Sports    232
On 6/4/2018 at 0:04 PM, Dreamer said:

You are having a problem with your port QF valve. Open and close it using trailer mode and have someone watch the back of the boat with a light to see if it opens and closes as much and as easily as the starboard one. You mentioned that you changed them?! If you have a good old or new one, simply unplug the port one and plug in a test valve, open and close in trailer mode. If no fault on screen with the test valve, you have to replace the port valve. Do your valves have 2 wires or 3 wires?

Edited by NW Boat Sports

Dreamer    96

Thanks NW. My valves are the two wire ones. My boat is moored in the lake currently but I’ll be pulling it home next week so I’ll check the valves out.

Dreamer    96

With the boat in my driveway and zero water pressure on the valves they open and close with ease.