cyclone    0

After bumming rides from my neighbors for two years I'd like to buy my own boat. I'm looking at a leftover boat with zero hours on it. It's brand new and according to the spec sheet the msrp is 122k. What's a fair price for this boat? When shopping I had been leaning toward fs244 but if I can get a good deal on this one I think I may pull the trigger. Would love to get some input here. This would be my first tow boat and I'm looking for one with a great surf wake. Thanks in advance. 

-mike

DrNate    426

Well obviously you'd never pay MSRP.  Where are you located?

InfinitySurf    302

The 244 is a great boat, does it have the ZR409 engine in it? That is the combo I have and I could not be happier, of course that is not the only good engine. Location does play a part in pricing like DrNate said. With 2019 boats about to come out, I would think they would be willing to steeply discount to get a leftover 2016 off the lot, plus you will still get the full 5yr warranty and Fineline is great IMO. Banks will also finance based on current value. Without knowing anything else my guess would be roughly 30% off msrp. Make sure you get most current software update, if it has zero hours there will likely be a couple tweaks to make over first 25hrs or so, which is normal for any boat. You may also want to make sure the batteries are good and fully charged since boat has been sitting, low batteries can cause some screen/electric issues. Demo, demo, demo. Good luck

cyclone    0
46 minutes ago, InfinitySurf said:

The 244 is a great boat, does it have the ZR409 engine in it? That is the combo I have and I could not be happier, of course that is not the only good engine. Location does play a part in pricing like DrNate said. With 2019 boats about to come out, I would think they would be willing to steeply discount to get a leftover 2016 off the lot, plus you will still get the full 5yr warranty and Fineline is great IMO. Banks will also finance based on current value. Without knowing anything else my guess would be roughly 30% off msrp. Make sure you get most current software update, if it has zero hours there will likely be a couple tweaks to make over first 25hrs or so, which is normal for any boat. You may also want to make sure the batteries are good and fully charged since boat has been sitting, low batteries can cause some screen/electric issues. Demo, demo, demo. Good luck

It has a PCM EX3 engine. Boat is located in Alabama. i'm going to test drive it today, just not sure what to offer the dealer. It's advertised at 89K but they said they'd take $83K. here's a link to the ad. https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2016-centurion-enzo-sv244-102854888/

dreikorncr    7

That is a lot of boat for the money. The SV244 is a mean wake throwing machine and that being brand new as a '16 is hard to come by being that we are almost halfway through 2018. We have the 343 in our 2013 SV233 and fully loaded down with people it does a fine job, but the 409 would be a nicer option if you do plan on heavily loading the boat and taking out large crews often. Being that this is your first tow boat purchase, I will echo with what InfinitySurf said; DEMO. See what you like, see what you don't like. There may be options on that boat you may not necessarily utilize/need for what you want out of the boat. There are a ton of other great boats on the market that will throw a great wave for a little less, but again it depends on what you want your boat to be capable of doing. You get what you pay for of course, and that boat will give you years of smiles and shakas thrown behind it! 

InfinitySurf    302

Nice looking boat and good colors. I am guessing they still have it partly due to the 343 engine. There are a lot of uneducated buyers that will walk away thinking its under powered (that has probably has happened and why its still there). I thought the ZR409 was the base engine for the 244 ...its what I have in my boat and I run almost 5000lbs of ballast in my boat with #1433 or #1847 prop (they are both 14X14.25...just slightly different cup). The good thing is in TN you are not at high elevation but if you plan to heavily weight boat for surfing you will need the right prop. For surfing if for some reason the 14x14.25 does not give you enough grunt heavily loaded you could go to a 14x12 and be good for sure tho I doubt you would need to do that from what I have heard about the 343. 14x12 prop would reduce top end speed but to most of us top speed does not matter, just also reduces cruising speed some since you do not want to run at extended periods over 4000rpm. With my 1433 it has awesome low end power and will still do 40mph on top end without ballast...and cruising speed is about 30mph @ 4000rpm

Regarding the 343 engine, I believe the torque peak hits at 3200rpm which is quicker than the 409 which I think is 4400. The 343 is a 5.7 engine, The ZR409 is a 6.0. I saw this listed by the guy that runs the PlanetNautique forum...

The EX-343 is 343 HP / 370 lb-ft Torque
The ZR-409 is 409 HP / 400 lb-ft Torque

Now these numbers are considering a 1:1 trans.....you likely have the 1:1.48 trans (same as mine) which ups the torque to 492ftlbs on the 409....not sure what it does to the 343 but it seems they are only about 10% different in actual torque power. (I did see on the 343 that when coupled with the 1:23 power plus trans, it makes 430 ftlbs of torque and that boat may have that trans). BOTH are very proven and reliable engines. I am no engine guru but I do read a lot...and hear that looking at the torque curve is what matters, not the HP. From real world reviews on the 343 vs 409, many say that they feel very similar on power and that 409 only beats it on top end (which again on these boats matter less). Irregardless at resale you WILL run into people that are uneducated and will take a hit for that, so factor that in. The price seems reasonable.....guess if I were you I would see how much further they will go since they have gotta be anxious to get rid of the boat. I would say at $80k, for a brand new 24ft boat with 5 year warranty and as much as the SV244 has...you are gonna be in decent shape, especially if you plan to keep the boat for a good while. If you get a prop and some gear throw in, even better. Sometimes if you hit bottom line on pricing, you can negotiate some gear in. (does this dealer service Centurion and will take care of warranty stuff? Cause you buy a dealer as much as you buy a boat...FYI, if dealer sucks then your experience will suck and little issues will feel like big issues).

Obviously the demo will tell you part of what you need to know regarding whether the prop on it is good, but I would definitely look into that and if it does not already have a #1433, I would ask for one to be thrown into the deal (you will want a spare prop anyway and they cost about $500). Do not rush the demo, fill ALL bags, fill the Ramfill and take the boat thru all paces so if there are any glitches, they can take care of them right away so your first weekend on the water does not end up being frustrating. All boats, not matter the brand, have little things that have to be tweaked, they are hand made custom boats with laptops running them. Some brands are worse than others....in my experience Centurion is one of the best for QC but again, make sure that you have the MOST RECENT software update.

You will also want the bow ballast bag (under bow seats)....so make sure that is there. The wave is incredible on the SV244 and when you add bow weight it gets longer and still plenty high. I see the PnP bags in rear lockers so assume the bow bag is under there too. Make sure the stuff they list is there...wind damn and bow filler cushion are both things you will WANT.

All things considered, the 244 will put out a comparable wave to any other boat on the market today except maybe the RI257. I looked at upgrading my 2014 and decided to keep it due to that simple fact. Awesome boat. Do what makes you feel comfortable and only buy if you feel like you are getting a great deal and are going to be happy for a long time. Let us know if you decide to pull the trigger. Sorry about long post, once I got into typing I started looking things up and why it got more detailed. Guess you have already demoed the boat too, let us know what you thot about it and how the 343 engine did.

• Like 1

cyclone    0

Well, I ended up passing on the boat. It was very well built and in showed well but iIt was just too underpowered for my liking. I'm going to keep looking for the right boat. I think i'll start looking for an FS. I like the picklefork design a bit better. thanks guys for all the input. it was much appreciated. 

InfinitySurf    302
13 hours ago, cyclone said:

Well, I ended up passing on the boat. It was very well built and in showed well but iIt was just too underpowered for my liking. I'm going to keep looking for the right boat. I think i'll start looking for an FS. I like the picklefork design a bit better. thanks guys for all the input. it was much appreciated. 

Did you happen to note which prop was on boat?

Was boat just acting sluggish coming out of hole with full ballast, or you notice some other issues with power....or you more worried about the HP numbers and resale down the road?

VERY surprising to me that factory would even install that engine in a 343. Even if torque curve is similar to the 409, its obviously an issue and has to be why they still have the boat. If they have not already put a low end prop on the boat to demo it, they sure should....and seems like they will either have to take a big hit to get rid of it or find the right customer that does not know the right questions to ask and is a first time buyer. Will be tough to find in this age as people are becoming more and more educated about these boats and the power plants.

cyclone    0
On 6/4/2018 at 10:05 AM, InfinitySurf said:

Did you happen to note which prop was on boat?

Was boat just acting sluggish coming out of hole with full ballast, or you notice some other issues with power....or you more worried about the HP numbers and resale down the road?

VERY surprising to me that factory would even install that engine in a 343. Even if torque curve is similar to the 409, its obviously an issue and has to be why they still have the boat. If they have not already put a low end prop on the boat to demo it, they sure should....and seems like they will either have to take a big hit to get rid of it or find the right customer that does not know the right questions to ask and is a first time buyer. Will be tough to find in this age as people are becoming more and more educated about these boats and the power plants.

I didn't check out the prop. But with two guys and zero ballast in the boat it topped out at 30 mph at WOT and it took some time to get there. I just figured that when not surfing I didn't want to run the engine that hard to get from point a to point b. it seemed to get on plane OK but ill bet it would struggle to go 10 or 11 mph with the ballast full and 10 peeps aboard. 

LKASurfing    53

I have a 16- 244 with that engine. I also had a 14 244 with the 409

409 is  a better motor hands down. However, the 343 has been completely fine. 

The lack of top end is the new transmission. although, mine will hit 35,  vs 41 on my 2014 so, nor sure why that one only hit 30...trim maybe? Any of the 16 boats will have that transmission keeping the RPM's higher

It does not struggle surfing at Surf speed at all. I have 585 hours on  mine

I personally love the SV244 wave.  All in All, that's a great seal on the boat! plus the 16 vinyl is better than the 14-15's 

InfinitySurf    302
On 6/17/2018 at 5:40 PM, cyclone said:

I didn't check out the prop. But with two guys and zero ballast in the boat it topped out at 30 mph at WOT and it took some time to get there. I just figured that when not surfing I didn't want to run the engine that hard to get from point a to point b. it seemed to get on plane OK but ill bet it would struggle to go 10 or 11 mph with the ballast full and 10 peeps aboard. 

This guy ^^ knows Centurion boats and considering he has the same power plant and it does fine for him, you can bank on the fact that its true. Perhaps they did not have the trim all the way down. If you are not at high elevation, you may wanna reconsider this deal and shoot them a lower offer and see what they say. The right prop on a boat makes a BIG difference, it may simply have the wrong prop stuck on there. You wont find a better hull/wave for the money, I can tell you that first hand cause I have demoed/surfed all the new boats since for a while I was trying to convince myself to buy a new boat. The SV hull is also fuel efficient. That may not matter to you, but surf an SV244 all day next to someone in a newer Malibu using surfgate and wedge....in 4hrs, they will be empty while you keep on surfing. Literally half the fuel used in these boats compared to Malibu, many of the new boats average 7-10GPH (I average 4.5-5GPH)...and 72 gallon tank. Centurion in general does quite well in this area, due a lot to hull design cutting thru water well the tab system and IMO, PCM has the best engines on the market. The EX3 has a long history of reliability. 

• Like 2

sallen    3
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, LKASurfing said:

I have a 16- 244 with that engine. I also had a 14 244 with the 409

409 is  a better motor hands down. However, the 343 has been completely fine. 

The lack of top end is the new transmission. although, mine will hit 35,  vs 41 on my 2014 so, nor sure why that one only hit 30...trim maybe? Any of the 16 boats will have that transmission keeping the RPM's higher

It does not struggle surfing at Surf speed at all. I have 585 hours on  mine

I personally love the SV244 wave.  All in All, that's a great seal on the boat! plus the 16 vinyl is better than the 14-15's 

I too have a '16 SV244 with the 343.  I don't care about top end, so haven't even gone over 25-28mph with it.  It surfs great, even fully loaded with ballast.  We have a small crew though (usually no more than 5 or 6 adults) so I can't speak to performance with a large crew. We live in TN so altitude isn't a problem. In fact, I considered buying the boat you are looking at before we got ours. I passed though because 1) the dealer wasn't budging off his 89k price at the time 2) another brand new '16 SV244 was for sale closer to me near Nashville and I snatched that one up because it was the same price but had nearly every available option for that model year.  In my opinion, 83k is a great price for that boat.  Double check what prop is on it and adjust if necessary and then buy it.

LKASurfing    53
On 7/12/2018 at 3:38 PM, sallen said:

I too have a '16 SV244 with the 343.  I don't care about top end, so haven't even gone over 25-28mph with it.  It surfs great, even fully loaded with ballast.  We have a small crew though (usually no more than 5 or 6 adults) so I can't speak to performance with a large crew. We live in TN so altitude isn't a problem. In fact, I considered buying the boat you are looking at before we got ours. I passed though because 1) the dealer wasn't budging off his 89k price at the time 2) another brand new '16 SV244 was for sale closer to me near Nashville and I snatched that one up because it was the same price but had nearly every available option for that model year.  In my opinion, 83k is a great price for that boat.  Double check what prop is on it and adjust if necessary and then buy it.

Would love to see a picture of your boat! not may 16-SV244's were made.

So I am headed to Chattanooga today to pick up this boat as my friend is trading in his Supreme on it! So stoked I will have another 244 on our lake to shred behind! 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

sallen    3
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:34 AM, LKASurfing said:

Would love to see a picture of your boat! not may 16-SV244's were made.

So I am headed to Chattanooga today to pick up this boat as my friend is trading in his Supreme on it! So stoked I will have another 244 on our lake to shred behind! 

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

Like the green.  Loved the blue of the Chattanooga one more actually!  But the green is growing on me :)

• Like 1