h2ohangtime

Avy Pre-Purchase Questions

h2ohangtime    4

Hi all—been lurking for a while and am in the process of closing a deal on a 2006 C4 Avy in very nice condition. Before I do, I have a couple questions as I’m hesitant to trust anyone in a used vehicle transaction. This is being sold by a guy in Rancho Cordova, CA who both services and buys/resells boats.  We’ve agreed on a price and will be lake testing this week followed by him taking me through the boat mechanically.  At this time of year, a third-party presale inspection is tough to come by without waiting a couple weeks minimum.

1) I’ve read that the boat history reports are essentially a waste of money—is there anything else I can do to verify that nothing major has happened to the boat?  Can my insurance agent look for past claims based on the HIN?

2) Many of you have talked about the Enzo sac that sits in the rear locker and then goes forward under the port or starboard seats.  In this boat, there’s a bulkhead under both rear seats that divides the under-seat storage from the locker.  Is that standard?  

3)  Anything I should be looking for when it comes to red flags that there was some previous issue with the boat that’s been covered up?

Thanks in advance for any guidance...I’m looking forward to joining the community of Centurion owners one day soon.

Tony

Edited by h2ohangtime

h2ohangtime    4

Just realized the “bulkhead” could be the front edge of the hard ballast tank.  True?

Troy    234

My Avy had a "bulkhead" but it was only held on with a couple of screws. removed those the little board came out and I installed my custom sac. 

Post up some pictures! and welcome to the crew.

rhino89523    34

In that age of boat a couple of things I had to deal with on mine, that were not that big of a deal for me but if I had taken them to the dealer would have run a few thousand. My steering cable was stiff, the steering should be a one finger event, my strut bushing was worn and its a bit of a pain, I did a new seal at the same time. While it's on the trailer crawl under the boat which you should do anyway to see how it's been treated. Grab the prop shaft if it has any movement side to side in the strut it's cooked. None of those would be deal breakers but could be tire kicker kick down points. I'd look for oil leaks in the drive train and the motor.

h2ohangtime    4

Thanks Troy and Rhino.  I think my big issue now is that I don't have the history and the stuff that this dealer/servicer has replaced are all on the floor--carpet, batteries, lower cabin speakers, etc.  Makes me wonder if there was a flooding/water issue and what I could be getting into there.  I just don't want to make a big mistake, knowing what can happen with electrical issues.  

InfinitySurf    302

Perhaps good to get into an area of bilge that normally cannot be seen.... unplug a couple of the wiring harnesses to see if there is any corrosion or things that would point to flooding or any other areas you can think of when on boat that may be hard to hide for someone looking. Has carpet in lockers been replaced too? If its just main cabin due to normal wear then maybe not such a big deal...if all carpet replaced then that may point toward something like flooding. Smart to be cautious

h2ohangtime    4

Well d@mmit, wouldn’t you know that the insurance HIN search turned up an accident that wasn’t disclosed.  That combined with the other questions tells me to walk away.  Shame, it’s a really nice Avy but I don’t want to buy $35k worth of someone’s problems.  

Hopefully I’ll be back in another more worthy Avy soon.  

Thanks again for the help!

rhino89523    34

$35g gets a nice Avy for sure...It's the time of year when boat prices are up but 35 will get you one all day any day of the year.

h2ohangtime    4

Thanks Rhino--shoot me a PM if you come across a C4 with the Tribal Tower near you like this one.  I'd be happy to head over Donner to check it out.  

00707_el9zQWkj2ms_600x450.jpg

Jake707    171

what were the accident details? Ive seen that boat listed for some time now and 35-40K is about average for the going rate depending on options

h2ohangtime    4

Jake, I'm not sure what the accident details were.  There were enough question marks about the boat's history and the work that was done to it (albeit good work) that I didn't want to take a chance.  There's another one (yellow) by you in Fairfield/Vacaville that I've been looking at as well, but I'm not a fan of the Evo tower so I haven't really pursued it.  The nice part is I have the luxury of waiting--my kids are still pretty young so I don't have to get it NOW.  Just want to be ready to jump on the right deal if it pops up.

Troy    234

Love my Avy with the Tribal tower! Great boats. Good luck and keep us posted. 

rhino89523    34

I see a bunch for sale around with either of the other 2 tower options, seems the tribal is either the one people don't get rid of or they put a lot less of them on. Mine doesn't have the tribal tower and I have to admit to liking the look of both of the other tower options slightly better than mine.

Troy    234

The Tribal tower gives you a ton more head room and the Bimini is super easy to put up and take down.  

Jake707    171

Yea I can dig that. Like I said hes asking the going rate for the boat so its not a screaming deal in any way and with too many un answered questions in relation to accidents and repairs its not worth the risk. Now if he was 10-15K lower and I would re think it a bit. 

Scox082    0

Hi, I have a boat that just became available today. I had it sold to my friend who literally backed out today from some unforeseen financial problems. It’s a late 05 avalanche with the 06 interior. Go surf assist push button surf system and fill custom wakemakers bags and ballast system. Loaded boat and mint. 530hrs meticulously maintained. I was planning on taking photos tomorrow and posting. Let me know if your interested.