Troy    234

Hello all,

It appears it is time for me to replace the bunks on my trailer. Saturday with just me and my 7yo daughter on the lake, first time out this year, we had trailer bunk issues on retrieval.

I back the trailer into the water. 

Go get the boat.

Load the boat on the trailer and proceed to pull the trailer out of the water. 

On the way out of the water, I look in the mirror and a bunk is sticking way out from under the boat. 

I inspect the boat for damage, no damage

I back into the water again and try to position the bunk and pull out again.

Still isn't in the correct spot. 

I solicit help from another person who just finished wiping down their new Moomba to pull the trailer out while I hold the bunk in the correct spot. That worked.

I get home and notice that, that bunk is missing 6 of the 8 bolts holding it on. and other bunks are missing bolts also. All the bolts were in the boards before we left the house. I checked them over winter break like I always do. 

Great day on the lake just me and my daughter but now I have to fix stuff again. 

Has anyone used/seen/heard of https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

Might be worth spending the money up front and never worry about them again. But I don't want to scratch or damage the boat. 

Suggestions? Ideas?

My bunk boards on the trailer are currently 2x6. Can I replace with 2x4 without issues?

Thank you,

Troy

Troy    234
InfinitySurf    302

Looks pretty cool in 1st post, probably made from a material similar to "trex" like they use on decks? Think I would worry a little about that stuff being a little too slick and make the boat move on trailer with nothing over it? Not sure...carpet keeps the wood wet longer so you have to replace over time but it does create some friction.

Just an FYI...reviews on the last link (one for amazon) say that manufacture says to not use for gel-coat boats. I looked at it cause I have 2 pieces of bunk carpet to replace on my trailer, I actually bought it over winter but have not done it yet. 

Here is an idea....if you go back to pressure treated wood. Coat the wood with rhino liner or something similar before you install the bunk carpet, should last quite a long time that way since if the wood cannot get saturated, it will last a long time. Think I will stick to conventional method when my time comes (plus sealing the wood to help extend life), should only be every 10yrs or so that you gotta replace

• Like 1

Troy    234

Yea the first stuff seemed like it would scratch the boat. 

The second post, I called them and they said it works for gel-coat boats but they are not responsible if sand/dirt gets on them and the boat gets scratched. 

I ended up going with Gatorbak bunk covers. They are for gel-coat boats and are options for Boatmate and other trailer manufacturers. They seem awesome, but expensive. Seems like the water will drain very well and last a long time. And if the board rots out, just unscrew the Gatorbak covers and put them on new boards again.  I went with the "clear" covers and I am going to paint the boards before installing, most likely.  And I'll keep this thread updated with the progress. 

DrNate    426
28 minutes ago, Troy said:

Yea the first stuff seemed like it would scratch the boat. 

The second post, I called them and they said it works for gel-coat boats but they are not responsible if sand/dirt gets on them and the boat gets scratched. 

I ended up going with Gatorbak bunk covers. They are for gel-coat boats and are options for Boatmate and other trailer manufacturers. They seem awesome, but expensive. Seems like the water will drain very well and last a long time. And if the board rots out, just unscrew the Gatorbak covers and put them on new boards again.  I went with the "clear" covers and I am going to paint the boards before installing, most likely.  And I'll keep this thread updated with the progress. 

I think that's a good plan.  My two forward deepest bunks wear the fastest.  I've already done them once and they are almost due again.  Pics would be awesome Troy!

Wow, I just went to their website.  The ones with LED's look sweet!

Edited by DrNate
  • Like 1

rhino89523    34

My bunks are good but I might need those LED ones,  not for the ground effects light show but for guiding the boat on when my buddies are driving when we have stayed out way too late after work.

InfinitySurf    302

Those lights are really cool. I have the water activated runway lights on my Boatmate trailer and they have come in very handy multiple times at night. These would be quite a bit brighter.

Nick213    583

@InfinitySurf, your lights don't come on at night, just when you dunk the trailer?

Mine come on at night and brighten when I dunk the trailer.

Those bunk lights remind me of the fast and furious cars, not for me lol

Edited by Nick213

InfinitySurf    302
31 minutes ago, Nick213 said:

@InfinitySurf, your lights don't come on at night, just when you dunk the trailer?

Mine come on at night and brighten when I dunk the trailer.

Those bunk lights remind me of the fast and furious cars, not for me lol

I think mine only come on when dunked in water at night (they probably come on during day too thinking about it, I just dont notice it)...I know they are called "water activated" runway lights. They sell these aftermarket on Boatmate site and tho there are not many details on how it works, it looks like there is a sealed float switch that turns them on, called Ultima Switch.

Do yours come on at night and have some kind of sensor for when its dark? Mine do not turn on when just dark, just recently I watched someone back up my truck/trailer from boat as I was getting ready to load up and they turned on as they hit the water backing down the ramp. 

Nick213    583

Mine turn on with the truck lights, there's a float switch as well on my license plate bracket that brightens them.

Troy    234

I have changed from the clear to grey. The grey will match the pin striping on the trailer and the clear has a blue/purple hue to them. I didn’t plan on putting lights in them anyway, and I wasn’t sure i would like the “clear” color after they arrived. So now I’m waiting for my grey ones to arrive. Until they arrive I have done a temp fix on my current bunk that had 4 of the six bolts come out. 

My temp fix. Temp fix has the 2 aft bolts going through the 2 original holes to keep the bunk in place and the 2 forward bolts to hold the temp board to the bunk board. Then what it looks like from the factory on the bunk that the bolts haven’t fallen out yet.    

BFF30F70-CCC3-45F1-8240-D7C3F3670A6C.jpeg

76DB4FAC-E32D-4F09-894B-9C9E5446AD50.jpeg

Edited by Troy

Troy    234

Most of the material came in. Some was on back order so it should be here this week. 

8840E161-1622-4837-8580-4F823706E77F.jpeg

8E0A35F6-A435-4192-9825-EAA326E9951F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

That looks like it will turn out great. I may have to look into this over winter, I had gotta a couple pieces of bunk carpet to replace mine since I have a couple small tears....but this looks like it would last much longer and be better for boat since carpet always scratches things over time and I have seen several boats that get the dimples in gelcoat where they touch the wet carpet (forget the technical name, but it happens when people leave boat in water too long). I just saved this Gatorbac website to my favorites so I can do this later. Thanks for posting the pics.

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

I just priced out what replacement would be for my trailer....with 4ft/8ft/12ft bunks (sold in pairs), the black Gatorbak covers would be $300, another $50 if I wanna add the end kits which I am sure would finish it off nice tho I have 2 bunks that are cut at 45 degree angle for loading that I would probably custom fold the cover for those 2. Going thru replacement only makes sense to replace the pressure treated 2x4's as well and think I would buy the lumber a month early so they can dry out and then paint/seal them with something like rhino liner. I think combination of sealing the 2x4's and installing these covers would make them last indefinitely. I would say also smart to use carriage bolts rather than lag screws too so they can never come apart. So definitely on my list for winter....but this is a $500 upgrade when all said and done. I would say its worth it tho if someone is keeping their boat for a while, which is my plan right now.

Troy    234

Yes, Very expensive but looks like it will last a long time. If the boards do rot out, which they shouldn't because they can dry a lot better than with carpet, you can unscrew the Gatorbak and put it on a new board. I can't wait for the rest of the stuff to come in. So far the customer service has been phenomenal.  

Note: Don't order on or around Memorial Day, LOL. Also sometime through out the year they do have sales. Obviously I didn't get a sales price. They also give discounts to military, fire, police ect.  

• Like 1

Troy    234

I finished my two 8’ boards tonight. Looks nice. Can’t wait to get the other 4 boards done. 

C1853714-9C2F-4B6B-B6EF-5A752E1E6784.jpeg

Troy    234

Finished putting the Gatorbak on the boards last night. Then took today off to put the new bunks on the trailer. Right now we are enjoying the lake. I’ll have to report later on how they are to put the boat on the trailer. 

26588C6A-E998-4A48-905B-BC727FC39F19.jpeg

22BEAE8D-7786-491B-B6FA-D797F6A8B1AF.jpeg

03D92CB6-39A9-4B30-AAF3-0BB717ADF8C9.jpeg

0BF67964-F9A6-4595-9602-C90A3F6803F1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

InfinitySurf    302
On 6/7/2018 at 0:51 PM, Troy said:

Finished putting the Gatorbak on the boards last night. Then took today off to put the new bunks on the trailer. Right now we are enjoying the lake. I’ll have to report later on how they are to put the boat on the trailer. 

26588C6A-E998-4A48-905B-BC727FC39F19.jpeg

22BEAE8D-7786-491B-B6FA-D797F6A8B1AF.jpeg

03D92CB6-39A9-4B30-AAF3-0BB717ADF8C9.jpeg

0BF67964-F9A6-4595-9602-C90A3F6803F1.jpeg

Hey Troy,

How did these hold up for you? I just ordered Gatorbak for my trailer and wanted to see how they held up for you over the summer loading/unloading, etc. I noticed on the site it said that some areas can "wear differently" and wondering if you noticed any of that and if this is something you are happy you did or any regrets. Hope not, since I just placed my order...but rather know now if any issues rather than wish I had asked you later on, lol.

I do think I am going to use carriage bolts and countersink them rather than go back with lag screws. None of my factory lag screws had fallen out, but noticed that half of them had loosened up a little and figure since I am installing the new bunk covers, I might as well take the time to to redo everything in a way that I wont have to mess with it ever again.

Troy    234

Mine have been great.  They do, every now and then, leave a "string or residue" on the hull but it wipes off. No scratches or anything. They are a little bit stickier than the carpet maybe but all in all I am very happy with them.  I used stainless Lag bolts for quickness, easy and $ of install. I used lock washers and the correct size bolts to make sure they are in correctly.  Carriage bolts are good also, but with going stainless and stainless lock nuts the price went way up not to mention the time it would of added for the install and I think the Lag bolts will hold just fine. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..