Sign in to follow this  

woodman4    1

This boat has been putting me through the ringer here lately! Got the new fuel pump installed and it is running great. Brought it out today and went for a ride, about 15 minutes in while at cruising speed the boat completely lost power. Nothing would work, couldn’t even open the engine hatch to try and get a look at the motor. We sat there for about a minute or two while I tried to call in some help, reached over and turned the key and it fired up like nothing was ever wrong with it. Drove it a little more and am now hanging out on it back in a cove. Anybody got any idea what would cause that? I assume something electrical and hope it’s just a loose wire or something along those lines, but I don’t know what kind of wire would cause something like that. If anyone has suggestions please let me know. Thanks. 

InfinitySurf    302
3 hours ago, woodman4 said:

This boat has been putting me through the ringer here lately! Got the new fuel pump installed and it is running great. Brought it out today and went for a ride, about 15 minutes in while at cruising speed the boat completely lost power. Nothing would work, couldn’t even open the engine hatch to try and get a look at the motor. We sat there for about a minute or two while I tried to call in some help, reached over and turned the key and it fired up like nothing was ever wrong with it. Drove it a little more and am now hanging out on it back in a cove. Anybody got any idea what would cause that? I assume something electrical and hope it’s just a loose wire or something along those lines, but I don’t know what kind of wire would cause something like that. If anyone has suggestions please let me know. Thanks. 

Assume the first thing you checked was cables to batteries? I would not assume its all good just cause tight....I would remove them, wire brush/sand them and then re-attach and not only where it connects to battery post, but also where main wire connects to the post connection. I would also back track those wires checking every connection. Battery ground is another possiblity....either loose or corrosion build-up. Those are the 2 things I can think of, sure others will have more knowledge since electrical is not my specialty. I would check every electrical connection you can get hands on to see if anything loose/corroded.

Other things to maybe check out....breaker/fuse connections (the wires in and out...especially main ones since it seemed to take your entire system out), in my boat they are under dash at feet AND a couple mounted up top near steering wheel base, in observers compartment and in engine compartment mounted to back of back seats. The kill switch? tho don't think that is capable of shutting down everything. I would check, clean and maybe put a dab of that special grease on every electrical connection (don't remember the technical name for it, keeps it from corroding).

Sucks, sure this feels frustrating since you will feel like you never know when it may happen again. Another thot, since if you are on Lake Tillery, NC....Mike @ Mike's Liquid Audio is in Gastonia, NC and he is very knowledgable on everything boat related. He has helped me multiple times and worked on my boat since I am in NC as well.

Shaka    146

Also check the ground wire at the engine.

woodman4    1

Thanks for the replies. I’m thinking it has to be the battery connections. What else would cause EVERYTHING to stop working all at once? I couldn’t even open the back hatch...blower wouldn’t work, lights out, no radio, nothing 

After it shut off, I tried cycling the key a few times and when I realized it was totally dead, I went back and checked the battery connections. What I can’t remember is if it started right after I did that or if it still didn’t start and then started when I tried again a couple minutes later. I’m thinking it fired back up on the first try after I messed with the battery connections. I’ll ask my wife and see if she remembers.

Jdills1371    1

This just happened to me a few weeks ago. Would lose all power, would come back and after a few minutes would lose all power. Check your main breaker on the motor. Mine went bad. I unhooked the wires from the breaker, pinched them together and got all power back. 40 bucks for a used one from my local shop. Give that a shot. 

woodman4    1
12 hours ago, Jdills1371 said:

This just happened to me a few weeks ago. Would lose all power, would come back and after a few minutes would lose all power. Check your main breaker on the motor. Mine went bad. I unhooked the wires from the breaker, pinched them together and got all power back. 40 bucks for a used one from my local shop. Give that a shot. 

So that breaker tripped and took out the power to your radio and everything electrical as well? Never would have thought that but I will check it out. Thanks

Jdills1371    1

Yes. Your main power off your battery leads back to your starter and from the starter to your breaker. After the breaker is when it splices thru to the rest of the boat. At least on mine it does. I have a 2000 eclipse. 

Jake707    171

I would check the breaker like mentioned. If it were a neutral switch issue other electronics would still work. The fact that all power shuts off for everything points to power supply, your batter, and if it were connections at the battery they would be arching and leave evidence. So follow the ground from the battery to block, ensure those are solid and no corrosion. Then do the same with the power, from the battery to the starter, starter to the breaker making sure all are tight and no rust or corrosion. My first step would be to start it in the driveway then wiggle the wire are the breaker first and see what happens just don't zap yourself...... it hurts.

Also sounds like you have the single piece rear hatch with hydraulic actuator like my Elite. One of the better "upgrades" I did was ditch the actuator and installed hinge shocks on the sides and a pull handle locking mechanism like the newer boats, unless you plan on redoing the whole interior then I would suggest converting to a three piece hatch design.

woodman4    1
1 hour ago, Jake707 said:

I would check the breaker like mentioned. If it were a neutral switch issue other electronics would still work. The fact that all power shuts off for everything points to power supply, your batter, and if it were connections at the battery they would be arching and leave evidence. So follow the ground from the battery to block, ensure those are solid and no corrosion. Then do the same with the power, from the battery to the starter, starter to the breaker making sure all are tight and no rust or corrosion. My first step would be to start it in the driveway then wiggle the wire are the breaker first and see what happens just don't zap yourself...... it hurts.

Also sounds like you have the single piece rear hatch with hydraulic actuator like my Elite. One of the better "upgrades" I did was ditch the actuator and installed hinge shocks on the sides and a pull handle locking mechanism like the newer boats, unless you plan on redoing the whole interior then I would suggest converting to a three piece hatch design.

That was one of my first thoughts after this happened was to put some shocks on the hatch and get rid of the hydraulics. Did you happen to do a write up on that? Know what shocks you used and where you got the locking handle? If you have any pics of that I’d love to see them.

Jake707    171

I didn't do a write up but I posted pics of it for someone else in this thread. I think I pulled inspiration for it from the old Malibu forum but I don't think that exisists anymore. Ill have to look around and see if I can find where I got the hardware and shocks.

woodman4    1
20 minutes ago, Jake707 said:

I didn't do a write up but I posted pics of it for someone else in this thread. I think I pulled inspiration for it from the old Malibu forum but I don't think that exisists anymore. Ill have to look around and see if I can find where I got the hardware and shocks.

Thanks for the link. What is the metal bar running side to side in the third pic?

Jake707    171

That's just the green/red light bar for parking in the water over night I think. It plugs in to the port hole on the starboard side rail.  Never used it but it came with the boat and mounts there for storage. Im sure my terminology and usage are off since Im a daytime lake dweller only haha

woodman4    1
6 minutes ago, Jake707 said:

That's just the green/red light bar for parking in the water over night I think. It plugs in to the port hole on the starboard side rail.  Never used it but it came with the boat and mounts there for storage. Im sure my terminology and usage are off since Im a daytime lake dweller only haha

Ah, ok. I couldn’t tell if it was part of your locking mechanism or not. I really do think I’ll do this ASAP if nothing else just for the sake of convenience. Waiting on that thing to go up and down is painful. Do you think it absolutely has to have a locking mechanism at all? Is the only risk in not having one the fact that the hatch could fly open while driving? Do you remember what length those shocks are?

Jake707    171

If you tow your boat then yes I would make sure to add the locking mech. While that hatch is heavy as hell, with those shocks on it would only take a decent bump in the road to lift the hatch high enough for those shocks to spring it up the rest of the way and that thing would be a huge sale on the freeway the whole 2.5 seconds I think it would last before ripping off the rear hinges haha

Yea, when I first got the boat, I thought oh pooh we fancy with the motor hinge.................... and by the second trip out we realized how many times we went in and out of there each time waiting the 30 plus seconds for it to open and close, needless to say we got over it real quick.

woodman4    1
13 hours ago, Jake707 said:

Sweet, I appreciate you looking those up. I’m going to get on this ASAP. I only trailer my boat through my neighborhood so I’m trying to decide if the locking mechanism is necessary.

woodman4    1
16 hours ago, Jake707 said:

Got any idea what that latch mechanism is called? I haven’t found the right words to google yet to get anything like that to come up.

Jake707    171

Good thing I don't delete work emails. Looks like the link I bought my latch no longer works so that company doesn't offer it anymore. Its a Southco latch. Below are a couple links

This link is to the website I bought my latch at originally however my model is no longer listed

http://southco.hardwarespecialty.com/

This is a link to Southco's website showing the exact latch I went with

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/southco/product-22514-55394.html

Jake707    171

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd boom, little more digging and I got the full name, Southco Sundecker Latch. Here's a link on Amazon, might find them elsewhere as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Southco-MT-03-10-5-Sundecker-Panel-Latches/dp/B01A97ZVLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1526401772&sr=1-1&keywords=southco+sundecker+latch

woodman4    1
3 hours ago, Jake707 said:

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd boom, little more digging and I got the full name, Southco Sundecker Latch. Here's a link on Amazon, might find them elsewhere as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Southco-MT-03-10-5-Sundecker-Panel-Latches/dp/B01A97ZVLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1526401772&sr=1-1&keywords=southco+sundecker+latch

3 hours ago, Jake707 said:

You’re the man. I’m gonna try and knock this out this week while the weather is bad. Supposed to be raining here for like 9 days straight