Sign in to follow this  
jeepfrk9

15 s226 goofy

jeepfrk9    8

Greetings! 

I’ve only had my 15 s226 out a few times this year and feel I have all different ways to get a great regular wave somewhat down. Seems I relearn each time but I’m getting there. But this time I had a goofy rider (nobody’s perfect) with us. I really struggled getting a wave for him, it was always really washy no push.  I think after a bit I was getting switch happy and was all over the place. I thought I had good starting setting from reading other posts but apparently I’m missing something. 

So there was total of 4 adults and 2 kids. My 15 has the upgraded bags from NWBS and the 16 stinger plate (no wings) and quick-surf, I had a decent lean on then tried to quick surf it clean.  But I failed a lot.   

Thoughts after getting home is maybe I was going too slow.  I’m used to my old elite V and my friends malibus were we usually run 10-10.5 max. Maybe I should have messed with speed more.  

I wanna get your guys thoughts.  

Thanks!

Mrwick    65

My 226 likes a ton of weight/list to get the goofy wave cleaned up.  I shove 400 lbs of lead in the locker with a 1000lb sumo.... 200lbs under the side seat and all factory tanks full.......slowly draining off counter weight to clean up wave.......my boat really likes when one of my fat friends lays on the sundeck surfside.......it pushes up a nice wave!  Also I run my stinger at about 75%. Speed 10.8 to 11.2

Edited by Mrwick

jeepfrk9    8

When I listed I had pretty much all the port side tanks mostly empty.  We were listed good but probably not enough weight to get the boat keel in the water enough. ?

49faith    4
14 hours ago, Mrwick said:

My 226 likes a ton of weight/list to get the goofy wave cleaned up.  I shove 400 lbs of lead in the locker with a 1000lb sumo.... 200lbs under the side seat and all factory tanks full.......slowly draining off counter weight to clean up wave.......my boat really likes when one of my fat friends lays on the sundeck surfside.......it pushes up a nice wave!  Also I run my stinger at about 75%. Speed 10.8 to 11.2

I have a '15 S21 but I have a similar setup these days. My wife and I are both goofy so it's a big deal for us. 1100lb fly high filled starboard, port bag empty. Both hard tanks full and bleed off port until I like the wave. I only have 200 lbs of lead in the star locker. I don't have QS though so I actually use a shaper in it's place. I still get wash on the lip but there is a ton of push. I have a stinger plate coming to try out to see if it helps with the wash, but for now this is what it generally looks like: https://imgur.com/a/LKnO7Ov 

• Thanks 1

49faith    4

Oh, I forgot to mention that I run 11.2-11.4. So the speed definitely does help the goofy side for me.

Mrwick    65
On 4/24/2018 at 0:40 PM, 49faith said:

I have a '15 S21 but I have a similar setup these days. My wife and I are both goofy so it's a big deal for us. 1100lb fly high filled starboard, port bag empty. Both hard tanks full and bleed off port until I like the wave. I only have 200 lbs of lead in the star locker. I don't have QS though so I actually use a shaper in it's place. I still get wash on the lip but there is a ton of push. I have a stinger plate coming to try out to see if it helps with the wash, but for now this is what it generally looks like: https://imgur.com/a/LKnO7Ov 

I tried several shapers and every one destroyed my wave......a lot of my friends use them and couldn’t believe that the shaper wave sucked compared to my listed wave....the listed wave it pretty awesome if you can displace enough water!

49faith    4
12 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

I tried several shapers and every one destroyed my wave......a lot of my friends use them and couldn’t believe that the shaper wave sucked compared to my listed wave....the listed wave it pretty awesome if you can displace enough water!

My listed regular wave is amazing. Goofy, not so much. I technically list and use the shaper, so to me it's just like I was using quicksurf. I tried to evenly weight the boat and just use the shaper and it was trash.

InfinitySurf    302

So weird, guess it depends on hull shape cause my wave is amazing with the suck gate shaper, I only slightly list to surf size, like couple hundred pounds difference in rear

jeepfrk9    8

Seems I’ve had a few people think the stinger (no wings) isn’t as big as a help people once thought.  Talked to a 226’er the other day who thinks it actually hurts wave hight more than it helps by causing too much rear lift.  Seems to me if you didn’t deploy it as much that would solve that...but maybe it drags in the water all the way up.   Things for thought

InfinitySurf    302

I don't deploy my middle tab much when surfing for that exact reason, I use it when wanting to plane at higher speeds or if trying to flatten the wave....but only run it at 30% when surfing cause you want the back end to sink for best surf wave. I use bow weight to even out boat more and get a longer wave cause when you use middle tab for that, it knocks down the wave too much just like you are saying.

49faith    4
13 hours ago, jeepfrk9 said:

Talked to a 226’er the other day who thinks it actually hurts wave hight more than it helps by causing too much rear lift. 

I just figured that you could overcome that by adding more weight. My back end is so low to surf side, the water passing by the swim deck usually hits it and sprays. We'll see how the new plate works out. I might need another couple hundred pounds of lead though.

jeepfrk9    8

Yea it’s almost to the point we’re compensating so much to fix one issue and creating more issues.  With all the additional weight to get back to pre plate size you might have an epic wave with the smaller plate.  Or maybe just a smaller plate with a small wing might be the trick. I see experimenting in my future. 

Edited by jeepfrk9

h20king    794

Goofy wave is easy on a 226. No quick surf. Center tank full all surf side full and no weight on the non surf side. Move all passengers to goofy side .speed 11.2 trim 85 -90%

h20king    794
On 4/23/2018 at 7:23 PM, jeepfrk9 said:

Greetings! 

I’ve only had my 15 s226 out a few times this year and feel I have all different ways to get a great regular wave somewhat down. Seems I relearn each time but I’m getting there. But this time I had a goofy rider (nobody’s perfect) with us. I really struggled getting a wave for him, it was always really washy no push.  I think after a bit I was getting switch happy and was all over the place. I thought I had good starting setting from reading other posts but apparently I’m missing something. 

So there was total of 4 adults and 2 kids. My 15 has the upgraded bags from NWBS and the 16 stinger plate (no wings) and quick-surf, I had a decent lean on then tried to quick surf it clean.  But I failed a lot.   

Thoughts after getting home is maybe I was going too slow.  I’m used to my old elite V and my friends malibus were we usually run 10-10.5 max. Maybe I should have messed with speed more.  

I wanna get your guys thoughts.  

Thanks!

I'm in PDX if you need help

jeepfrk9    8

Thanks! Maybe pm me your email or something.  Your box won’t take messages. 

i gotta spend more time messing with it.  Only 3 trips out