Timr71

The Official Tru-Trac [I, II, III] & Falcon Thread

ACon977    0
1 hour ago, Timr71 said:

Welcome Austin! Glad you made it over here.  Our little group sometimes gets lost among the giant surf boat threads, but we're here.  The purpose is to share ideas and part finds and stuff like that.  And post pics of awesome old boats.  

Glad to be here Tim, I did notice that when I was trying to update my profile that there wasnt an option for a Tru Trac.. does it also go by another name? 

86SKI    12
1 hour ago, ACon977 said:

Thanks 86ski! I am excited to start putting the structure back in the boat for sure. Stringers are almost done, then engine mounts, pylon mounts, and floor. My goal is sometime in August to have it in the water, doesnt have to be completely finished, but I think that would be a great turn around from starting in March.

Im not considering repowering at the moment. It has an old 351W which seems like someone got it up and running and then didnt take care of it. It has the carb upgraded to a Holly, new hoses, wires, and ignition coils. I had to replace the starter because it wasnt turning over for me and purchased new exhaust ports. I may also replace the steering cable since it felt a little stiff. 

I'd say that the steering cable is worth the investment since mine broke while on the water earlier this season. I actually did a write up about it on here. So far, I'm loving the Uflex system that I got from SKIDIM.com. Effortless steering and feels great.

Timr71    30
2 hours ago, ACon977 said:

Glad to be here Tim, I did notice that when I was trying to update my profile that there wasnt an option for a Tru Trac.. does it also go by another name? 

I think unfortunately it's a limitation of the set up used here in this forum.  The Tru-Trac predates the Falcon.  If you go look at each model year on nadaguides.com you won't see the Falcon until 1988.  And even then, apparently there were slight size difference between the Falcon Hull and the Tru-Trac X hull.  Tru-Trac actually ran all the way up to IV.  I know the nadaguides.com data is not 100% accurate, but it is our best resource to see what models were offered in what years.  But, it's incomplete.  

Rhino - thanks for the wake garage suggestion.  I'm always looking for another resource to tap into.  

one other modification that I have on my list...probably for the winter.  I'd like to add these rub rail docking lights.  I did drive my boat to the fireworks Wed night and had to trailer it in the dark.  These lights would be a huge help.  But, i'd use them probably 1 to 2 times per year.  I do like the bling factor though too.  

ACon977    0
38 minutes ago, Timr71 said:

I think unfortunately it's a limitation of the set up used here in this forum.  The Tru-Trac predates the Falcon.  If you go look at each model year on nadaguides.com you won't see the Falcon until 1988.  And even then, apparently there were slight size difference between the Falcon Hull and the Tru-Trac X hull.  Tru-Trac actually ran all the way up to IV.  I know the nadaguides.com data is not 100% accurate, but it is our best resource to see what models were offered in what years.  But, it's incomplete. 

Ah, gotcha, well thats unfortunate. Well I guess Ill just leave it as empty

Timr71    30

Maybe we can get an admin to edit the selections for that drop down and add Tru-Trac as a boat model.  

• Like 2

ACon977    0

Anyone have an idea on where to get a cover? Its still a ways away from being done, but Im always looking down the road. 

we do have a tower on the boat which may cause some issues, but not sure if there is a generic cover option out there? 

Timr71    30

Covers - Here's 3 options:

1. Go to http://www.skiboatcovers.com/ and work with them.  They will get you something for sure.

2. Go to ebay and type in Centurion Boat Covers and see what pops up.  You may have to determine the dimensions of you boat and then compare that to the dimensions of a newer boat to find one.  For example: This one might work for you...price is right:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-BOAT-COVER-FOR-CENTURION-LAPOINT-TRU-TRAC-1994-1995/281978304614?hash=item41a7377866%3Ag%3A~00AAOSwLpdW84lr&_sacat=0&_nkw=centurion+boat+cover&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XCenturion+cover.TRS0

3. I needed a cover in a hurry, in fact I needed two covers.  I needed a heavy duty tow-able type cover and a mooring cover.  Towable has a series of straps that hold it down, this is what I put on the boat in the driveway to keep rain out.  I don't actually tow with this cover on, for a number of reasons.  Mooring cover has just an elastic band around the rim.  This is what I put on the boat when it's at the slip, and in the dry stack.  I purchased both at Bass Pro Shops.  And, I just picked them off the shelf based on the dimensions of my boat.  Both have worked better than average.  So, I've been pleased with how they've worked based on what I paid.

Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

86SKI    12

I have a question about wake size and rooster tail. Lately, I've been noticing that my wake is a bit larger than usual. Then again, this is the first year that I've been actively skiing behind the boat in quite a while but still I don't remember it being as bad as it is now. The worst part is definitely the rooster tail/bump. At 15 off and 34mph, I'm getting smacked in the shins and knees by water when directly behind the boat.

What could be causing this turbulence? I know my prop is in desperate need of refinishing and balancing. Could this be it? I've already tried skiing with as little weight in the boat as possible and this helps with the wake itself but the rooster tail is still there. Any advice would be appreciated!

ACon977    0

Thanks @Timr71! I appreciate the links, we were thinking of getting a generic cover (like you pointed out on ebay and Bass Pro Shops) but with the tower it may get tricky. 

Not sure what options there are out there to fit around the tower for an older boat which clearly didn't have the tower. 

Timr71    30

@86SKI So, I've been giving this some thought on how to respond.  Here's my random thoughts: 1. All boats are different, and I'm not just talking about hull and models, I mean each and every boat is different.  Because they're hand made, no two are alike.  So there's some difference between two of the same model that came out of the factory right next to each other.  2. Weight and balance are also a huge issue.  My boat and my cousin's boat are the same hull from the deck down, and they ski differently, but both good.  with regard to weight, we think that my boat has a little less height on the wake due to the weight of the seat structure that we put in the open bow.  What happens there is that slight bit more weight in the nose pivots the boat down a bit and lifts the rear slightly.  3.  weight in the back of the boat is an issue too.  your boat will ski differently with a full tank than with a nearly empty tank.  4. the prop will influence the turbulence on the top of the wake shelf.  And it'll impact the rooster tail too.  Allegedly, the new ACME 541 that I just fitted softens the turbulent area, but I can't say that it does or doesn't because I haven't skied it enough to notice.  Plus I'm trying to come to grips with a new to me ski, so I'm not paying that much attention to what's hitting my legs when I'm crossing the wake.  

I would suggest two things: 1. Get your prop sorted out and 2. experiment with some weight in the nose of your boat. Not a lot of weight though, maybe just like 75 lbs or so.  

The Centurion Carbon Pro comes with a small ballast tank on the passenger side that can be filled with just the right amount of water to balance the boat against the weight of the driver.  The only negative to a little weight in the front is that it causes the boat to ride a bit more down in the water so it displaces more.  Everything is a trade off though, you know?  

Timr71    30
1 hour ago, ACon977 said:

Thanks @Timr71! I appreciate the links, we were thinking of getting a generic cover (like you pointed out on ebay and Bass Pro Shops) but with the tower it may get tricky. 

Not sure what options there are out there to fit around the tower for an older boat which clearly didn't have the tower. 

I think you'll have to make some cut outs for your tower feet.  You'll need someone who's good with a needle and thread.  Modifying an existing cover will probably be your cheapest route. Otherwise you can have a custom or semi-custom cover made.  

ACon977    0
31 minutes ago, Timr71 said:

I think you'll have to make some cut outs for your tower feet.  You'll need someone who's good with a needle and thread.  Modifying an existing cover will probably be your cheapest route. Otherwise you can have a custom or semi-custom cover made.  

Luckily, (Admiral) Kelly is good with all that stuff and is planning on doing the vynil for our seats, engine cover, and sides. Plus rebuilding the Bimini, hopefully she can come up with something! What Im curious about is the tensioner going around the outside. But for now, thats a problem for a different day. 

Edited by ACon977

86SKI    12
21 hours ago, Timr71 said:

@86SKI So, I've been giving this some thought on how to respond.  Here's my random thoughts: 1. All boats are different, and I'm not just talking about hull and models, I mean each and every boat is different.  Because they're hand made, no two are alike.  So there's some difference between two of the same model that came out of the factory right next to each other.  2. Weight and balance are also a huge issue.  My boat and my cousin's boat are the same hull from the deck down, and they ski differently, but both good.  with regard to weight, we think that my boat has a little less height on the wake due to the weight of the seat structure that we put in the open bow.  What happens there is that slight bit more weight in the nose pivots the boat down a bit and lifts the rear slightly.  3.  weight in the back of the boat is an issue too.  your boat will ski differently with a full tank than with a nearly empty tank.  4. the prop will influence the turbulence on the top of the wake shelf.  And it'll impact the rooster tail too.  Allegedly, the new ACME 541 that I just fitted softens the turbulent area, but I can't say that it does or doesn't because I haven't skied it enough to notice.  Plus I'm trying to come to grips with a new to me ski, so I'm not paying that much attention to what's hitting my legs when I'm crossing the wake.  

I would suggest two things: 1. Get your prop sorted out and 2. experiment with some weight in the nose of your boat. Not a lot of weight though, maybe just like 75 lbs or so.  

The Centurion Carbon Pro comes with a small ballast tank on the passenger side that can be filled with just the right amount of water to balance the boat against the weight of the driver.  The only negative to a little weight in the front is that it causes the boat to ride a bit more down in the water so it displaces more.  Everything is a trade off though, you know?  

Thanks @Timr71, I'll definitely see how it changes after getting the prop refinished. The cheap wheel weight ballast is also a great idea. I'll try to post before and after pics if there's any significant change.

JimboIA    0

Anyone have pictures or ideas of how to add speakers in the boat.  I have tower speakers and a sub but I want to add speakers  in the boat (especially  towards the front) but I also want it to look nice too.

Timr71    30

There's not a lot of places to choose from.  others on her can chime in.  You can put non-flush mount speakers, small ones on the dash, you can also place speakers into the dash if you can find enough room.  Most just put them behind the driver's and passenger seats on the side.  You'll have to probably make enclosures for them and sacrifice some storage space there.  

ACon977    0
On 8/10/2018 at 1:00 PM, JimboIA said:

Anyone have pictures or ideas of how to add speakers in the boat.  I have tower speakers and a sub but I want to add speakers  in the boat (especially  towards the front) but I also want it to look nice too.

Our boat has them built into the cap. The wires are run under the bottom of the cap where someone glassed in some old paper rolls (no idea what they actually are, they have rotted out, but the glass is still there lol) 

The wires can be just run back to the same receiver. You can cut holes in the cap and upholstry with a jig saw I would assume. Not sure a hole saw is big enough to fit std size round speakers. In our boat there is one in the front and one in the back on each side. This is a pretty standard way to do it which wouldnt involve much. 

5b733b5a408cb_1987SkiCenturian4(1).jpg.14c0135275fd502c10869dfaff41a7c8.jpg5b733b8e3ee1f_Speakerlocation.jpg.00b68a7504fd4105ba63ce43a7867c06.jpg

slvrbulit    6

Hey Timr71,  beautiful boat I see it around on other fourms that we both belong to.

I have a 98 ski centurion elite with the 350MPI motor.  It has been a great boat and I have no complaints.

Wish I could post some pictures.

• Like 1