Jump to content
Timr71

The Official Tru-Trac [I, II, III] & Falcon Thread

Recommended Posts

86SKI    12
29 minutes ago, Timr71 said:

White lake meetup sounds like fun.  Take lots of pics and post some...especially if there's some other classics like yours there.  

A couple of links for you guys.  This guy, Austin is his name, is doing a full stringer up restore of a 1987 Ski Centurion. I'll send him a PM and see if we can get him to join us over here too.  

1987 Ski Centurion Restoration

Here's my restore thread: 

1993 Ski Centurion Restoration

Timr71- I have to say, your boat is absolutely gorgeous. Great colors, beautifully restored, also made the same year I was born! Also, I've been following Austin's build for a while now. Great boat as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timr71    11

Exciting news: I just received my ACME 541 prop.  We'll get to try it out maybe Sunday.  I'm sure it'll be an improvement over the 30 year old stocker.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86SKI    12
17 hours ago, Timr71 said:

Exciting news: I just received my ACME 541 prop.  We'll get to try it out maybe Sunday.  I'm sure it'll be an improvement over the 30 year old stocker.  

Please let us know how you like it. My prop is in desperate need of refurbishing and I have been playing around with the idea of buying a 541 and keeping my old prop as a backup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Delta-Dog86    0

New to the site, all of the knowledge and expertise from fellow Centurion owners is awesome. I have an 89 Tru Trac ii with 530 hours.

Does anyone know where to purchase a new glove box? Is it even possible? 

Also, any recommended engine mods for 351? As of now all it has is aftermarket Holley carb. Engine runs great but I’m always looking for improvements...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timr71    11
10 hours ago, Delta-Dog86 said:

New to the site, all of the knowledge and expertise from fellow Centurion owners is awesome. I have an 89 Tru Trac ii with 530 hours.

Does anyone know where to purchase a new glove box? Is it even possible? 

Also, any recommended engine mods for 351? As of now all it has is aftermarket Holley carb. Engine runs great but I’m always looking for improvements...

Glove box: your boat uses the same glove box cover as my boat (1993) somewhere in the 1995 range the glove box lid changed shapes.  I was able to purchase a replacement for my boat from Great Lakes Skipper, but I don't see that they have on listed on their website as of right now.  You can keep checking there and/or call them to be sure.  If you can't find the stock cover you're going to have to get creative and start shopping for lids that are the dimensions of the original.  

Upgrading your 351 - you can do a lot of research on this one.  Most will: switch to electronic ignition, change the heads, change the cam, etc.  I'll put a link below, but you can search for 351 upgrades on both the Mastercraft Teamtalk site and correctcraftfans.com.  Lots of guys have documented their results there.  

351 upgrade

541 - the new ACME 541 prop runs great on my boat.  I really like it.  We've skied it a bunch this week and there's a definite performance increase from the original OJ 13 x 13 3 blade.  The boat comes out of the hole strong and smooth and gets on plane in a hurry.  From there you're up to skiing speeds 34 - 36 in just a few seconds.  I didn't put a watch on it, but my cousin who's a very strong skier gave it positive marks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86SKI    12

Had a great time skiing this week, although I ate it harder than I ever have this past Friday. Learning to really commit to crossing the wake on the slalom ski and every now and then, you get bit. 

I had a great encounter with an owner of a 1990 Falcon Heritage Open Bow who seemed like he was really into the brand. Didn't get to mention the forum but I'll try to direct him this way if I see him again. Also beached next to this 1993 Falcon Barefoot. Owner didn't really take care of it and needed some love but regardless, I had to snap a pic. 

20180630_105625-1-.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timr71    11

Wow.  That's a nice looking barefoot.  Those have a cult following too.  Go over to ballofspray.com and do a search for outboard ski boats and you'll find a few guys with barefoot centurions in their history.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ACon977    0

Hey All! 

Glad to be joining up on another forum that's more specific to Centurions than to a rebuild in general. 

Thanks Tim for throwing out my rebuild thread, its going slowly but glad to have some good experience over on iBoats for the glassing and woodworking tips. 

Here are a few pictures of my old boat, the floor and stringers were rotten so I have them all cut out and putting all new structure from the hull up. 

1987 Ski Centurian.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86SKI    12

Welcome to the site!

Your rebuild is looking great so far, can't wait to see it when it's all done. It's awesome to see people still giving the older boats the love and attention they deserve. How much longer do you think it will take until you finish the boat structure? Also, any plans on repowering?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86SKI    12
19 hours ago, Timr71 said:

Wow.  That's a nice looking barefoot.  Those have a cult following too.  Go over to ballofspray.com and do a search for outboard ski boats and you'll find a few guys with barefoot centurions in their history.  

 

Yeah they're cool boats for sure. The owner really didn't know what he had and didn't care too much either, which is a shame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timr71    11

Welcome Austin! Glad you made it over here.  Our little group sometimes gets lost among the giant surf boat threads, but we're here.  The purpose is to share ideas and part finds and stuff like that.  And post pics of awesome old boats.  

I saw a Ski Centurion on Cherokee lake this past weekend in Tn.  I was 85% positive that it was a Centurion, but not 100%.  They came into my cousin's cove and went under the bridge to do some swimming.  I almost idled over to get a closer look at the boat and talk to the owner, but I didn't.  I happened to be pulling my nephew on a knee board when they idled out from under the bridge...that's when I saw that it was a Ski Centurion.  I think it was a DD, but it could've been a V-Drive.  Oh well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rhino89523    29

I don't own this other site or anything, but I goof around on a site called wake garage, it's all about DIY projects and I have seen multiple stringer replacement projects and interior redo's on older ski boats. It's all about building something into what you want it to be not just buying a new $100,000 boat and taking it to the dealer. Check it out it's pretty cool and you can get some great advise on bigger projects. Like I said I don't own it or know anyone off of the site....but it can be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ACon977    0
2 hours ago, 86SKI said:

Welcome to the site!

Your rebuild is looking great so far, can't wait to see it when it's all done. It's awesome to see people still giving the older boats the love and attention they deserve. How much longer do you think it will take until you finish the boat structure? Also, any plans on repowering?

Thanks 86ski! I am excited to start putting the structure back in the boat for sure. Stringers are almost done, then engine mounts, pylon mounts, and floor. My goal is sometime in August to have it in the water, doesnt have to be completely finished, but I think that would be a great turn around from starting in March.

Im not considering repowering at the moment. It has an old 351W which seems like someone got it up and running and then didnt take care of it. It has the carb upgraded to a Holly, new hoses, wires, and ignition coils. I had to replace the starter because it wasnt turning over for me and purchased new exhaust ports. I may also replace the steering cable since it felt a little stiff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ACon977    0
1 hour ago, Timr71 said:

Welcome Austin! Glad you made it over here.  Our little group sometimes gets lost among the giant surf boat threads, but we're here.  The purpose is to share ideas and part finds and stuff like that.  And post pics of awesome old boats.  

Glad to be here Tim, I did notice that when I was trying to update my profile that there wasnt an option for a Tru Trac.. does it also go by another name? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86SKI    12
1 hour ago, ACon977 said:

Thanks 86ski! I am excited to start putting the structure back in the boat for sure. Stringers are almost done, then engine mounts, pylon mounts, and floor. My goal is sometime in August to have it in the water, doesnt have to be completely finished, but I think that would be a great turn around from starting in March.

Im not considering repowering at the moment. It has an old 351W which seems like someone got it up and running and then didnt take care of it. It has the carb upgraded to a Holly, new hoses, wires, and ignition coils. I had to replace the starter because it wasnt turning over for me and purchased new exhaust ports. I may also replace the steering cable since it felt a little stiff. 

I'd say that the steering cable is worth the investment since mine broke while on the water earlier this season. I actually did a write up about it on here. So far, I'm loving the Uflex system that I got from SKIDIM.com. Effortless steering and feels great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timr71    11
2 hours ago, ACon977 said:

Glad to be here Tim, I did notice that when I was trying to update my profile that there wasnt an option for a Tru Trac.. does it also go by another name? 

I think unfortunately it's a limitation of the set up used here in this forum.  The Tru-Trac predates the Falcon.  If you go look at each model year on nadaguides.com you won't see the Falcon until 1988.  And even then, apparently there were slight size difference between the Falcon Hull and the Tru-Trac X hull.  Tru-Trac actually ran all the way up to IV.  I know the nadaguides.com data is not 100% accurate, but it is our best resource to see what models were offered in what years.  But, it's incomplete.  

Rhino - thanks for the wake garage suggestion.  I'm always looking for another resource to tap into.  

one other modification that I have on my list...probably for the winter.  I'd like to add these rub rail docking lights.  I did drive my boat to the fireworks Wed night and had to trailer it in the dark.  These lights would be a huge help.  But, i'd use them probably 1 to 2 times per year.  I do like the bling factor though too.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ACon977    0
38 minutes ago, Timr71 said:

I think unfortunately it's a limitation of the set up used here in this forum.  The Tru-Trac predates the Falcon.  If you go look at each model year on nadaguides.com you won't see the Falcon until 1988.  And even then, apparently there were slight size difference between the Falcon Hull and the Tru-Trac X hull.  Tru-Trac actually ran all the way up to IV.  I know the nadaguides.com data is not 100% accurate, but it is our best resource to see what models were offered in what years.  But, it's incomplete. 

Ah, gotcha, well thats unfortunate. Well I guess Ill just leave it as empty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timr71    11

Maybe we can get an admin to edit the selections for that drop down and add Tru-Trac as a boat model.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ACon977    0

Anyone have an idea on where to get a cover? Its still a ways away from being done, but Im always looking down the road. 

we do have a tower on the boat which may cause some issues, but not sure if there is a generic cover option out there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timr71    11

Covers - Here's 3 options:

1. Go to http://www.skiboatcovers.com/ and work with them.  They will get you something for sure.

2. Go to ebay and type in Centurion Boat Covers and see what pops up.  You may have to determine the dimensions of you boat and then compare that to the dimensions of a newer boat to find one.  For example: This one might work for you...price is right:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-BOAT-COVER-FOR-CENTURION-LAPOINT-TRU-TRAC-1994-1995/281978304614?hash=item41a7377866%3Ag%3A~00AAOSwLpdW84lr&_sacat=0&_nkw=centurion+boat+cover&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XCenturion+cover.TRS0

3. I needed a cover in a hurry, in fact I needed two covers.  I needed a heavy duty tow-able type cover and a mooring cover.  Towable has a series of straps that hold it down, this is what I put on the boat in the driveway to keep rain out.  I don't actually tow with this cover on, for a number of reasons.  Mooring cover has just an elastic band around the rim.  This is what I put on the boat when it's at the slip, and in the dry stack.  I purchased both at Bass Pro Shops.  And, I just picked them off the shelf based on the dimensions of my boat.  Both have worked better than average.  So, I've been pleased with how they've worked based on what I paid.

Hope this helps.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86SKI    12

I have a question about wake size and rooster tail. Lately, I've been noticing that my wake is a bit larger than usual. Then again, this is the first year that I've been actively skiing behind the boat in quite a while but still I don't remember it being as bad as it is now. The worst part is definitely the rooster tail/bump. At 15 off and 34mph, I'm getting smacked in the shins and knees by water when directly behind the boat.

What could be causing this turbulence? I know my prop is in desperate need of refinishing and balancing. Could this be it? I've already tried skiing with as little weight in the boat as possible and this helps with the wake itself but the rooster tail is still there. Any advice would be appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ACon977    0

Thanks @Timr71! I appreciate the links, we were thinking of getting a generic cover (like you pointed out on ebay and Bass Pro Shops) but with the tower it may get tricky. 

Not sure what options there are out there to fit around the tower for an older boat which clearly didn't have the tower. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recent Status Updates

    • MajaKazazic

      Are you  engineering students and searching for homework help services?helpmeinhomework.com provide all types of engineering assignment homework help services.helpmeinhomework has a reputation of providing premium quality online engineering assignment help for over a decade. Students all over the world find our services effective and reliable.Our Engineering Topic computer science,help with electrical engineering ,mechanical engineering,civil engineering...etc

      · 0 replies
    • MatthewsDave

      Sometimes it is normal for students to have trouble completing their finance assignments on time, seeking help from the team of experts in finance assignments to complete the assigned work on time. With the effective guidance of finance homework, we also strive tirelessly to improve your grade.
      Expert teams are available at any time to assist you in all types of topics related to your finance assignment, allowing you to easily complete finance homework on time to get an A + grade. You can certainly gather a lot of important information under the guidance of our energetic Finance faculty.
       
       

      · 0 replies
    • harlobra

      Heading to Lake Ouachita Arkansas in the morning for a week of houseboating and surfing.
      · 0 replies
    • Nick213

      Ordered a  sewlong cover...... hope it's as good as everyone says since there almost double the cost of others.
      · 3 replies
    • luluzer

      Winterization tomorrow for this homie. Seemed like the season flew by - let's hope winter does the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Guest

      Guest  »  dittrimd

      Just read your message regarding restoring your Barefoot Falcon.  I have a 1991 Barefoot Falcon with exact same floor issues.  I also had to replaced the stringers and am in the process of replacing the floor.  My question is regarding the need to replace the foam.  Like you I have several hundred pounds of saturated foam removed and I am not certain to replace it or leave it without foam.  Do you are anyone know if the foam is necessary for any structural support, or is it just for sound and flotation?
      · 0 replies
  • Topics

  • Popular Contributors

    Nobody has received reputation this week.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.