Timr71

The Official Tru-Trac [I, II, III] & Falcon Thread

slvrbulit    6

Hi Timr71,  do you have any info on the 1998 elite DD open bow?  Like the boat buyer guide you post for the earlier models?

slvrbulit    6

Thank you Tim.  That was very cool and a great read.

vanislemac    0

New to the group...on the FB page but thought I might find a few veteran owners around here whose brains I can pick ?

Picked up this '91 Falcon at the beginning of July.  Have enjoyed it immensely this summer.  Time to think about maintenance!  Discovered water in ATF and dipstick cap was just sitting loose.  Combined with a stuffing box allowing MANY drips per second even in neutral (spraying water around engine compartment when running!) I figure that's where the water got in and hoping it isn't the tranny cooler, although it seems like a simple job to replace it if it's pooched.

Can anyone confirm if the rudder uses the same or similar packing as the stuffing box?  I've heard it does so if that's true I thought I'd do both at the same time.  Cheers!

20200914_113737.jpg

Timr71    30
On 9/14/2020 at 1:41 PM, vanislemac said:

New to the group...on the FB page but thought I might find a few veteran owners around here whose brains I can pick ?

[Snip]

Can anyone confirm if the rudder uses the same or similar packing as the stuffing box?  I've heard it does so if that's true I thought I'd do both at the same time.  Cheers!

Great looking boat! And welcome to the group here.  

I don't have a definite answer to your question. Your prop shaft is probably a 1 inch diameter and that'll take 1/4 stuffing. I've had the rudder out of my boat within the last couple of years, but I don't recall it's diameter. Seems like it's a little be more than 1 inch. You'll just have to tear into it and see what you find.  Check out skidim.com for graphite based cord stuffing that can be run at virtually drip-less pressure. 

• Like 1

vanislemac    0
On 9/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, Timr71 said:

Great looking boat! And welcome to the group here.  

I don't have a definite answer to your question. Your prop shaft is probably a 1 inch diameter and that'll take 1/4 stuffing. I've had the rudder out of my boat within the last couple of years, but I don't recall it's diameter. Seems like it's a little be more than 1 inch. You'll just have to tear into it and see what you find.  Check out skidim.com for graphite based cord stuffing that can be run at virtually drip-less pressure. 

Thanks Tim, I appreciate your input!  Day off tomorrow and rain in the forecast so I'll get out there and do another tranny fluid change.  Saturday I'll be taking a couple of wrenches with me to the boat launch and see if I just needed to tighten the nut or if it's time for new packing.

Timr71    30

Bumping this thread, and adding to the resource details.

Most of these vintage boats utilize the Morse MV2 throttle control / shifter. That item is no longer available. Mine is worn probably more than most because at one point in my boat's life, it was operated in salt water. The wear items inside are pitted and grooved. I noticed this when I rebuilt the unit nearly 6 years ago. Now it's binding up again. The replacement for the Morse MV2 is the SeaStar CH2900P Control, MV-3 Competition Ski Boat.  I just received one and will have it in the boat soon...next few weeks I hope.  I'll let you know how it work.  There's numerous places you can order one from, but supply appears to be limited.  

JimboIA    0

20210427_204121_capture.jpg.f87fe97f0e6b924c70b08c7c45edb48e.jpgI am updating my floor to an eva foam and have 3 questions:

1.  Is there any functional reason not to run the seams side to side as opposed to bow to stern?

2. Any idea on where to find a seat base like the one in the picture?   Mine is cracked and about to bite the dust.

3.  How in the hell do I replace the netting on the back of the captain's chair, without destroying the upholstery?

Thanks for the input!

Timr71    30
nlitworld    1

Hi everyone,

I've been watching this thread since I picked up a 94 Lapoint last summer. Actually looking at photos on this thread I think it might have been posted a page back. Small world. Anyways I just wanted to say thanks for all the good info on here and I'm excited to get out and put some hours on the boat this summer.

image.php?id=225017image.php?id=225016image.php?id=225015

• Like 1

nlitworld    1
On 4/27/2021 at 9:55 PM, JimboIA said:

2. Any idea on where to find a seat base like the one in the picture?   Mine is cracked and about to bite the dust.

Thanks for the input!

I replaced mine with a new slide mechanism and a 6" swivel pedestal base so you could actually see out the window. Fantastic upgrade. I understand tournament ski wants weight as low as possible, but my wife had to sit on 3 life jackets and a towel to see while towing me. Plus the swivel makes it excellent for lounging on the water.

Hi. Name is John, and am new to this forum. Hope this thread is still working.

PT Barnum once said there is a sucker born every minute. Hoping it wasn't me.

Last year I picked up a 1993 ski centurion true track III. Looks a lot like the Lapoint shown in the previous reply.

Some specs on the boat.

351 Windsor, 285 horsepower, GT40 heads, good compression. 4160 Holley carb with sight level plugs, Velvet drive gearbox 1to1 ratio. Around 650 hours.

Also came with Perfect Pass setup. And refurbished trailer.

The exhaust risers had some evidence of leakage. No evidence of water in the oil.Pulled off the exhausts manifold and risers. Seating service between the riser and the manifold was marginal. Cleaned up the ceiling surface, new gaskets, currently no leaks.

Had about 600 bucks of upholstery work done. Gunwales (sides)and passenger seat.

Exterior is in excellent condition.

Really love the boat. First inboard ski boat owned. And I'm 69 years old.

Price 8K.

Got a couple questions. Thought I'd send this reply out first.

Here are some pics.

Guess not. Pics will not upload.

4Newfs    0

what are your questions?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HzktC5AR6aWdNfTJ8 

Sorry for a delayed response. The link listed above has some photos of the boat. They're a bit redundant so I apologize.

As you can tell by my display name I'm relatively new to this forum. Went into my profile to try to change my display name, no dice.

Anyway, a couple questions. But first, I like to describe what we found the other morning just before setting out. There was an odd noise coming out from underneath the engine cover. Lifted the cover and found the alternator through bolt  to the Head  broke off. It broke flush with the head. Luckily a left hand drill bit and some penetrating fluid brought the bolt out. So now all I had to do was find a 7/16 UNC X 6-in bolt. Not so easy. No big box stores. No boat dealers. No hardware stores. My Savior was a store called Fastenal. And luckily they had a 7/16 by 7-in bolt. But an order to use that I had to cut it down 3/4 of an inch and cut more threads on it. Otherwise I would have ran out of threads before the bolt tightened up. So back together, With a new belt. (ribbed). Interesting that hoses and brackets need to be removed to get the belt changed.

Okay, a couple questions.

I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to remove the driver's seat from the base. There's got to be an interlock stop that I just can't see. I can't even move the seat up enough to get access to the rear pedestal screws. I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

About the forward rudder. Is there a grease fitting for the forward rudder? Kinda like the rear rudder.

Again I'm sure I'm just missing something.

Thank you in advance for any response.

4Newfs    0

Well done on the alternator bolt work around!

Sorry, but can't help you on the seat removal question.  Never have had a need, or desire to yank mine out.

Greasing the C.A.T.S. system fin is better left to a dealer maintenance department.  They'll have the specialty greasing gun to get to the zirk in the hull.

Sorry I couldn't provide more help.

Timr71    30

Just decided to re-visit this forum and this thread.  Giving it a bump.  I saw a guy with a question about a Falcon on here, he was looking for resources...looks like he never found this thread.  

I hope your boats are running well.  Stay safe out there.  

Zorro    0

Ok y'all. Finally got my hands on an 89 Falcon. One owner, flawless maintenance schedule. But let's face it... it's a b.o.a.t...

Pics coming

Anton    0

Restoring Ski Centurion in the Netherlands

Does anyone know what the shaft length should be for the the Ski Centurion we are restoring?

See pictures attached. Boat is from 1991 it seems. Are these decals "Midnight Blue" a factory option perhaps?

Is this really a Falcon?

Midnight_Blue.JPG.f9818515eac33dcfef1a0cbf29fae7d4.JPGOostvoorne.JPG.970a436cc9414774943426cccfb6d024.JPG

ssbacademy    0