Sign in to follow this  
COV2

Ballat Bags and Vent Hoses

COV2    8

I am installing 2 1000 lb bags in the back lockers of my 06 Enzo SV230.  There are vent hoses in there.  Do I just install and fill them up or do I need to do something with the hoses.

Ezno Locker Hoses 2.jpg

Jlagos    23

I am assuming your putting 1 bag in each of the lockers. The large hose you have a picture of is typically attached to a blower to pull gas fumes out of the engine compartment and also allows air to move throughout the boat when it is underway. It is unable to hold water to pump out. Hoses to pump water to and from your ballast bags will typically be 1 inch in diameter. The most simplistic way is to get a pump connected to the ballast bag attached via a hose which has at the end a pump that you lower in to water which then fills the bag. Do you have true vent hoses and fill hoses attached to ballast pumps already plumbed into the boat?

InfinitySurf    302

I have the same vents in my boat....they connect from the side vents, down to the blower. Just zip tie them up out of the way. When my bags are full, they do not get in the way but I have them zip tied up high in the compartment and routed a little different. They go straight back along outside edge of boat and then go along back of boat, you may need to slightly re-route them so the filled bag does not crush them.

COV2    8

Jlagos, have stock tanks but installing fat sacks with a tsunami pump.

Infinity:  Thanks.  Sounds like I just need to zip tie them up higher in the compartment.

Ultimately, I will probably want to do some permanent plumbing.

Thanks for the replies.

bomoseen avy    45

So empty line is bottom back, fill is through top, vent through top. If running listed routing vent to opposite side good idea. Check valves also helpful. Lotsa good info on plumbing ballast on this site if you are inclined to do it sooner than later

InfinitySurf    302

If you do plumbing from scratch....I recommend a reversible so you only have one thru-hull each and the same bottom back fitting will fill/empty water from the bag. Ballast Puppy does pretty well, but Ballast King will move the water faster and since time is precious when it comes to fill times, may be worth spending the extra $100 to get the King. Should be able to get 10% off everything at WakeMakers.

Hein    63

Those vent hoses will fill up with water spraying into the Enzo vents when your boat is lower with the extra ballast. Especially if you get around to trying a surf wedge. You can get raised covers but we just blocked the back hole with a CNC'd plastic disc and added a drain for in the enclosure behind the vent. Has worked well. Water in the air vent hose will short and ruin your bilge fan.

photos in this post:

RhuntIII    555

On my Avy I plumbed vent lines from the bags to the opposite side of the boat. After many outings I ended up removing the vent lines and adding the air release valves. I'm a HUGE fan of opening my hatches and watching my bags fill. I believe it's safer that way. 

Troy    234
On 4/16/2018 at 9:49 PM, RhuntIII said:

On my Avy I plumbed vent lines from the bags to the opposite side of the boat. After many outings I ended up removing the vent lines and adding the air release valves. I'm a HUGE fan of opening my hatches and watching my bags fill. I believe it's safer that way. 

I'm about to do that also.  seems like the vent hoses going to the opposite side gets water in them, they don't like to vent and I end up hand venting them anyway.  I always watch the bags fill so I don't pop dividers. 

• Like 1