bomoseen avy    45
11 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Man, that would be pretty awesome to have a killer wave with less weight, rather than more. Boat does not work as hard, more fuel efficient, more storage in boat, etc! Perfect wave shape with great push beats bigger wave anyway

In above video, that cant be all the movement there is in the tab, is it? Guessing it had already come down from its fully retracted position? 

so in the vid I had set the unit to surf goofy, so the port tab was deployed to full in "surf" mode. Then had my son move dial to full skim. You get a little movement then no movement but a lot of actuator firing. Then had him move all the way back to surf mode. Lot of movement in the potentiometer dial but tab obviously doesn't respond through that whole range.

Not yet sure if more fuel efficient. Still runs at 3500RPM. When I get back I might retract tabs and try suckgate again to see what my RPM's are running

bomoseen avy    45
38 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

So 0 degrees deployment would be the tab being perfectly level with the bottom of the hull.  Negative  deployment would be angling downward into the water.  Positive deployment would be angled up towards the swim deck.  Different people describe this differently but I am a old toolmaker that uses above the “0” plane as positive and below the “0” plane as negative.  I’ve read over on the Malibu forums that some of those guys are running positive 1 to 4 degrees loaded down with weight.   The “clicks” are equal to about a degree in a half on my boat. On the dial between “surf” and “skim” there is only about 6 degrees of movement 

awesome!! TY!!

Mrwick    65
8 minutes ago, bomoseen avy said:

so in the vid I had set the unit to surf goofy, so the port tab was deployed to full in "surf" mode. Then had my son move dial to full skim. You get a little movement then no movement but a lot of actuator firing. Then had him move all the way back to surf mode. Lot of movement in the potentiometer dial but tab obviously doesn't respond through that whole range.

Not yet sure if more fuel efficient. Still runs at 3500RPM. When I get back I might retract tabs and try suckgate again to see what my RPM's are running

My RPMs have not changed from listed to GSA.  11 mph is 3100rpm.  It is definitely lugging the engine more though.

Edited by Mrwick

InfinitySurf    302
11 hours ago, bomoseen avy said:

Makes a lot more sense, don't think I have seen them out of water adjusting before just between surf/skim, so wasn't sure. Actuator did keep making noise for a few full seconds after tab stopped moving downwards, hopefully that is not bad for it. I would not know

Mrwick    65
2 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Makes a lot more sense, don't think I have seen them out of water adjusting before just between surf/skim, so wasn't sure. Actuator did keep making noise for a few full seconds after tab stopped moving downwards, hopefully that is not bad for it. I would not know

Mine does the same thing

bomoseen avy    45

So I think on the GSA install  video the recommended deployment of the tab is between 9 and 15°.  I checked my angles for deployment for surf and skim using the AngleFinder app  that was recommended for the install.  I think there is quite a bit of variance with it’s accuracy depending on the curve of the bottom of the hull and the area on the tab that is measured.  Anyway in full surf mode I got 8° of deployment and in skin mode I measured 11° of deployment.  During the install I had assumed that more deployment was desirable. Would’ve been useful information to know as it may have affected where I mounted the actuator 

Mrwick    65
5 hours ago, bomoseen avy said:

So I think on the GSA install  video the recommended deployment of the tab is between 9 and 15°.  I checked my angles for deployment for surf and skim using the AngleFinder app  that was recommended for the install.  I think there is quite a bit of variance with it’s accuracy depending on the curve of the bottom of the hull and the area on the tab that is measured.  Anyway in full surf mode I got 8° of deployment and in skin mode I measured 11° of deployment.  During the install I had assumed that more deployment was desirable. Would’ve been useful information to know as it may have affected where I mounted the actuator 

Lol.....Yep, I set mine to those angles as well. I called Ryan after my first outing and he told me this, “I wish you would’ve called me and I would have told you to use much less of an angle. “.    I believe every boat probably has a very different set up.  I don’t blame Ryan, but I do wish he would add to his instructions to advise him of your boat for specific angles of the tabs.

bomoseen avy    45

So not so quick update.  Moved all my lead to the back and filled rear lockers and quickfills on both sides. All together 1860# on each side. Synergytogo  walked me through his set up and I realized his 233 with the cab forward design does carry bigger bags in the middle seats.   At this point I am not filling my pro bags just running all my weight in the rear.

He also checked his tab deployment angles for me and it appears that his were running significantly less than mine. My full deployment was anywhere between 11 and 12 degrees his seem closer to 6 and 10 degrees between surf and skim  modes.  He had his system installed by Ryan. 

So I told Ryan I was going to move the  lower mounting bracket out away from the boat to the next set of holes towards the end of the tab.  Pulled the boat out of the water because it was almost impossible to do the work in the water with the boat on the lift. It became apparent that I could get  the angle I was looking for in full deployment,  but when the tabs retracted they contacted the swim platform pretty firmly.  I couldn’t find another hole setting to attach the actuator that would give me what I wanted. I decided to try the system despite the retracted tabs contacting the swim platform. When I put the boat back in the water to try it out I blew the fuse on the controller.  Didn’t have time to work on the system so I spent the weekend surfing with the suck gate using my set up from last summer. 

Ryan spent a bunch of time with me today walking me through what he wanted me to do. I pulled the boat again and retracted both tabs to within a quarter inch of the swim platform. I then used the unscrewed lower mounting bracket per his recommendations to trace an outline where new holes will be drilled into the tab. When the lower mounting bracket was screwed back in this gave me a deployment angle of about 3 1/2° on the starboard side and 2 1/2° on the port side.

Took her for a test drive tonight  with really good results. Regular  wave was long with nice shape and good push even at the rear. I would rate it better than my typical suckgate wave. The goofy wave was an absolute monster. On the regular side I had to run my speed a little slower like around 10.6 mph. We only had one rider on the goofy side and had to speed up to about 11.4 to lengthen it out. Will play around with this but overall really stoked with these results. Definitely a journey but looking forward to taking her out over the next few days. Can’t say enough about Ryan’s help today, too! I’ll try and get some pictures up the next few days. 

Oh yeah, I have yet to change my prop. Still running the 1847. Tonight the engine seem to be working at a little less RPMs than it had before. I still may look at another prop but will play around with the settings a bit before I do so.

Shout out to synergytogo also for all his help! It's so awesome to have the support of this community online. It is greatly appreciated

Edited by bomoseen avy
misspelling
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

synergytogo    3

Glad to hear the good news!.  Let me know if I can do anything else to help. 

Dkagele    0

Nice work! I have a 2013 SV 244 and have been kicking around this idea for sometime.. I just don't want to compromise spending 4 g and getting a smaller wake, than you would have with a listed boat? But less weight and more storage would be totally awesome, and ease of switching from goofy to normal.  In your opinion was it worth it?

bomoseen avy    45

Yes

I have been out maybe 6-8 times on the boat with the system working well. Like MrWick says, it was a journey, but I am super happy with it right now. Having done the mod once, I would be very focused on the final tab deployment angle, given this boat's particular hull shape. Knowing that at the start would have bypassed some initial frustration withthe install. The wake is definitely not smaller than listed or suckgate, and has great push. My regular wave pictured above is with my son who is 6'4" just to put the picture in perspective.

Devil's advocate-is it necessary? Maybe not, but I really think it improves the value of the boat. If you're into transfers, a little slow at 3 seconds compared to some of the newer technology out there. For me, I am really glad I did it.  

Mrwick    65

Bomoseen, it is crazy that as I read your updates, it’s like identical to my story!  Last weekend with a crew of 5, new and improved Ri style of center trim tab, 1300 lbs in each rear locker, both rear hard tanks full (250 lbs per side) and 300 lbs of lead under the surf side side seat, my wave was really nice!  The crazy thing is, the goofy wave is absolutely killer now...... better than the regular wave......it is tall and long with a very nice transition.   I ride regular so it kinda makes me mad!   Lol.  This weekend I will work on improving the regular wave.  I’ve adjusted my tabs to deploy the least amount that the swim deck will allow.... this gives me a negative 1/2 of degree deployment while in “full surf” on the control.   The goofy wave likes a negative 2 degree deployment for the best wave.    ******opinion*******.  I wish that I had “full” control of the tab angle with the actuators.  The non-programmable presets are probably fine for most people, but I would love to have an actuator with a built in transducer that would report its position to the controller.  This way you could have tab position read outs on the app.  Then you could dial the wave and record the position with out having to monkey with the brackets.  If there was a programmable setting option, you could store the position, or range of positions that works for you particular boat.  ***********.   

I still believe that I need less deployment, so my answer for that is to raise the swim deck an inch or two, or build a new one, so I can get to another hole on the tab bracket.  I would love for my middle setting to be at 0 degrees deployment and have 3 degrees to play with on the positive or negative deployment ....Bomoseen, you might benefit from the same mod.   I will try it and let you know if it works.

Mrwick    65

bomoseen avy    45

Dude we are both going to have to learn how to surf on the Darkside. Good problem to have!!

love your ideas on the programmable settings. Still agree the GSA site should do boat specific installation instructions for different manufacturers and hull types 

keep me posted if u modify the swim platform bracket. I had similar thoughts before I redrilled the holes in the tab. I’m pretty pleased right now so just gonna enjoy the surf for a while. Maybe a mod for the colder weather months 

Mrwick    65
10 minutes ago, bomoseen avy said:

Dude we are both going to have to learn how to surf on the Darkside. Good problem to have!!

love your ideas on the programmable settings. Still agree the GSA site should do boat specific installation instructions for different manufacturers and hull types 

keep me posted if u modify the swim platform bracket. I had similar thoughts before I redrilled the holes in the tab. I’m pretty pleased right now so just gonna enjoy the surf for a while. Maybe a mod for the colder weather months 

I tried to post up a pic of the goofy wave I had last weekend but I see my membership fee is due and it wouldn’t let me.......I felt pretty good about my 226’s performance till I just watched a vid of a 257’s goofy wave?.  Either they had a great camera angle or that wave was like 5 foot tall!  

Shaka    146

I raised my platform up an inch using Trex decking material and longer screws.

synergytogo    3
12 hours ago, Shaka said:

I raised my platform up an inch using Trex decking material and longer screws.

Can you post pictures?

Shaka    146
On 7/15/2018 at 10:59 AM, synergytogo said:

Can you post pictures?

Nope.  For whatever reason this site will no longer let me do it. I suppose I'm not paid up but when I try to pay it will not accept it. I've PM'd the admins a couple of times with no response.

All I did was cut the Trex a little longer than the top of the bracket where it mounts to the platform. I then place the Trex on top of the bracket and then put the  platform on the Trex. Make sure to pre-drill the Trex and get one inch longer mounting screws.

Mrwick    65
On 7/16/2018 at 1:50 PM, Shaka said:

Nope.  For whatever reason this site will no longer let me do it. I suppose I'm not paid up but when I try to pay it will not accept it. I've PM'd the admins a couple of times with no response.

All I did was cut the Trex a little longer than the top of the bracket where it mounts to the platform. I then place the Trex on top of the bracket and then put the  platform on the Trex. Make sure to pre-drill the Trex and get one inch longer mounting screws.

Think my short term swim deck solution is to raise mine as well.... I have some 2 x 2 inch aluminum square tubing I’m going to use with 2inch longer screws.....