Shaka    146
12 minutes ago, Nick213 said:

Nice @Shaka, let me know the next time your headed to Nacmiento that's my go to lake!

Might be a while. I have a buddy that lives right on it. Love that lake.

Mrwick    65
On 4/25/2018 at 1:53 PM, Shaka said:

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I designed a plate based on a Centurion design that is currently on Supreme boats. They are not exactly the same but look similar. I didn't want to make Centurion mad by completely ripping off their design thus the changes. The brackets have two horizontal positions as well as five mounting holes for adjustment. I also lopped a few inches of the inside portion of the plate that is next to the boat. This makes mounting on narrow beam boats easier. My boat isn't ready yet so I tripped out to Lake Nacimiento in CA and put them on a buddies Malibu VTX. We wanted to see how they would work on a flatter bottom boat. We mounted them on a slight angle so that water gets diverted to the outside of the wake similar to what the water diversiion fins do on the GSA.

Now the VTX is a 20ft crossover boat designed for skiing and wakeboarding. It isn't a great boat for either of those and it definitely isn't a good surf boat. However, these tabs made a huge difference and the thing was putting out a very respectable wave. The owner of the boat has a lot of experience with surf gates and he was shocked how well the tabs worked and the 1000 less RPMs vs surf gates.

The owner brought the boat out to Utah to sell last weekend and he took some of my buddies out on Sand Hollow. The tabs got rave reviews. We may make a few additional sets  if anyone wants them.

Very nice?

Hein    63

Would like to see an update to this thread with some wave photos and/or video.

Same for Shaka's implementation.

Edited by Hein

Shaka    146

Mine is coming. Been working on a prototype switching system.

• Like 1

bomoseen avy    45

Mine too. I've had a bit of a hiatus as boat is off to be summerized. Hoping to get it back anyday now.

I did power up after install and although unit faceplate responded appropriately, no tab movement. When I get the boat back I've got to check all my connectors and go from there...

bomoseen avy    45

So I got the boat back yesterday. I rechecked my Deutsch connectors and found the lines  from the actuators we’re not sitting firmly in the harness.  Firmed those up and the system works fine!

Got most of my lead out and put  280 pounds evenly distributed in the bow  and 160 pounds in each back end of the rear lockers.  Filled both QuickFill, both rear lockers, and both mid boat PNPs. PP at  anywhere from 10.8 to 11.4. Ended up running the wake tab all the way down at 100 to keep the bow down.  Air temperature in the mid 60s And water temp here in Vermont also low so I didn’t stay out very long. Got one ride in. Initial thoughts:

No spray with FAE on either side. That was a relief to see as I was worried about the goofy side. 

Goofy wave looked spectacular. I am a regular surfer so didn’t spend any time over there but very easy to get compared to the listed or suck gate wave.

Regular wave not the typical beefy hi wave I’m used to with either listed or suck gate set up. It was a bit windy out so there was chop and I only had approximately 320 pounds of crew  with my two kids.  Slowed the speed down a little bit and the wave got taller but squatty. Messed around with the tab a little bit and similar effect.

Didn’t seem like too much weight for the engine so I have a couple more lead bags and I’m gonna put in the port rear locker corner. I may then empty starboard PNP a bit next. Based on Mrwick’s  experience I may then change the tab angle to see if that helps.  Also probably reach out to Ryan next week after the holiday. Any other experience is  greatly appreciated. I’ll try and take some pics and video next time out. 

• Like 2
  • Like 1

Mrwick    65

Seems like your first outing was similar to mine.....keep working at it!

bomoseen avy    45

Got back from work tonight and moved  lead around a little bit. Put 280 pounds in the rear port locker, 200 pounds in the rear starboard locker and left 240 pounds in the bow.  I then filled all my ballast up; both QuickFill’s, both rear lockers, and both mid lockers. Speed at 11 tab mostly ran all the way down especially for the goofy side. Lake calmer without as much chop compared to my other outing.  It seemed that the best set up was draining about half the weight out of the starboard mid boat ballast bag with that set up here are my regular and goofy waves

7FAF795F-3DCE-4DD0-91C8-33CB28D678F5.jpeg

4FE23E49-BA72-4F30-9CED-88CC9DD67F1B.jpeg

• Like 2

bomoseen avy    45

A little bit too late at night and too cold to ride but hopefully I’ll get behind the boat relatively soon and post my thoughts 

Mrwick    65

Looks pretty fair!

bomoseen avy    45

quick update and I can post pics later for those interested. I saw the SV244 GSA post so I'm not sure if this info is applicable to the bigger brother. 

Got my third ride out with GSA system this am. Crew of 5. Spoke to Ryan and he recommended all lead in the back lockers, none up front. So 400# rear port and 320#rear strbd. Filled quickfills, both rear lockers and both mid seat bags. Boat struggled to get to 10.8. Emptied strbd mid seat bag half way. Still struggled to get to speed so emptied some of each quick fill (I think half?) until PP was able to catch up-speed 11 mph paddlewheel.

This was the best wave I've had so far after install. RPM's at 3500. Face of wave not as steep as I recall listed or with suckgate. I still haven't experienced "crazy push" over the suckgate but this was a very enjoyable wave and could easily ride the back of the wave without shooting out. My son (6'4" 170#) liked it as well as suckgate wave felt he had to try less hard for airs.

Obviously will need more tuning but I'm wondering if slamming with weight is actually counterproductive. I'm going to try NOT filling mid seat pro bags next time. If it wasn't such a PITA I might also take all the lead out and try just stock ballast.

After I fart around with that I might consider trying to decrease the tab deployment like MrWick. There is definitely a learning curve here, not without a little frustration/anxiety at spending $4K and drilling a bunch of holes in your boat.

InfinitySurf    302

Interesting, since I have heard from others and seen myself on a couple boats that GSA wave gets better as you add weight (all hulls are a bit different regarding whether they like bow weight or not and also depends on how much total weight you are running). There is no doubt that every boat is slightly different depending on hull design and they product the best wave at a specific list and yaw...once figured out, the further you sink the hull (within reason), as long as you keep it proportionate so list/yaw stay the same, wave should just get better with tab system. Sounds like you may need to prop down so you can push the weight. 

On deployment angle, once its set to "surf left", or whichever....cant you use the center dial knob on control panel to then fine tune the tab so you can see what decreasing deployment does a click at a time? That is how it works on my friends boat, his best wave is "surf left" and then 4 clicks up, tho I know that every boat is installed at slightly different degree so that does not mean anything to anyone else's boat, just mentioning that in case you wanna try it. No doubt that Ryan would know best what works, kindof surprised he does not have an area on his website that shows different model boats with pics, weight and other settings that worked best for the owners.

bomoseen avy    45

Pretty sure running the 1847. I say pretty sure because I bought the boat from WETSU last year. I have a spare 1847 and I seem to recall he told me he had the exact same prop mounted. I have to get some goggles on and go on under the lift to confirm.

I think I’m going to take a look at the system on the lift today with a helper running the tabs.  The center dial knob on the control panel (potentiometer)  does not have hard clicks on this model. I will set it all the way counterclockwise (surf) and slowly move clockwise (skim) to see if there is a deployment difference. In the water I have had the system set all the way from “surf” to “skim”  without a discernible difference. 

Your website idea is a great one. I’m sure that would save Ryan a lot of phone calls and texts also. I reached out to synergytogo to see what his set up is as he seems to have a wave he’s really happy with.  Ryan also said the less tab in the water the harder the wave will push. You will need more weight in the rear compared to a gate system but not less weight overall. 

FF00C6B0-6BCF-4681-88C0-07AD94C77432.jpeg

AA32E022-AA68-412A-931D-9178AC8E1A6F.jpeg

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

I run the 1847 and the 1433 (both the same size @ 14x14.25, just different cup) on mine SV244 as the low end torque prop, should give you plenty of grunt, its definitely the best prop with my boat/engine combo since I can surf at well over 13mph with all ballast loaded (that is not what I do, but was curious one day and was able to get it to around 13.5mph fully loaded)....and 40mph WOT unloaded. So you may wanna confirm since if its not the 1847, your spare may get you a little better lower end to push you to surf speed since you mentioned it struggled with all the weight being loaded at rear. Sounds like Ryan confirmed you still want as much weight as possible, you just may want more rear weight compared to best wave you had using suck gate? Maybe after you get setup on next session, if you have like 4 adults with you.....have them move into different places of the boat as a group and spread out to see what it does, may be quickest way to see what seems to get you best results without having to drag the lead around multiple times.

Wave shape looks nice! Love to hear back what you find when you start moving that center dial since its different than the "Wave control", if I were to get the GSA system, it would be really important to me that tabs are adjustable since the chance of the angle being correct at first try is slim odds. I was hoping that at some point he would also have a way to "program" the controller so once you find the perfect angle for your boat on regular AND goofy sides....you can program the controller to default to that deployment angle every time (and then still manually adjust from there), cause I have seen what a PITA it is on friends boat to always have to click it back those "4 clicks" when you are doing quick surf transfers back and forth.

bomoseen avy    45

tried to embed a quick video of potentiometer function but didn't work. I'll try later

Went out last night didn't fill mid seat pro bags- left lead in place, filled rear locker PNP's and quickfill. Boat seemed very rear heavy couldn't get nose down as much as usual with A plate so bumped speed up to 11.4 with decent results. Lot of wind so chop made it challenging. Will keep trying but son 3

Edited by bomoseen avy
didn't embed

Mrwick    65

So it seems we are both at the same point in our journey with our GSA systems....I am thinking just like you that there is potential to ditch most of my 900 lbs of lead and just use hard tanks and PNP bags in the rear.  My best waves to date are with all factory tanks empty and just PNP bags full plus 800 lbs of lead in rear lockers and 100lbs of lead in the bow.   I also agree with Infinity that we both could probably use a little more aggressive prop to help us with our lack of speed with more weight on board.  With a little more prop and more weight, I think you can have your tabs deployed at a +1 to +3 degree angle and have a killer wave....my best wave to date is at a deployed angle of -1.....Ryan said the only part of the tab that should be doing any work is the thrusters.    From what I’ve seen, this is probably true.

Edited by Mrwick

bomoseen avy    45

Can u explain the tab deployment angles? Just want to confirm are those tab angle numbers relative to the hull using the angle finder app like on the install videos? Or is that "clicks" like Infinity was describing.

Thanks for your input on the journey. I'm out of town for a week so further experiments will be put on hold temporarily...

InfinitySurf    302

Man, that would be pretty awesome to have a killer wave with less weight, rather than more. Boat does not work as hard, more fuel efficient, more storage in boat, etc! Perfect wave shape with great push beats bigger wave anyway

In above video, that cant be all the movement there is in the tab, is it? Guessing it had already come down from its fully retracted position? 

Mrwick    65
10 hours ago, bomoseen avy said:

Can u explain the tab deployment angles? Just want to confirm are those tab angle numbers relative to the hull using the angle finder app like on the install videos? Or is that "clicks" like Infinity was describing.

Thanks for your input on the journey. I'm out of town for a week so further experiments will be put on hold temporarily...

So 0 degrees deployment would be the tab being perfectly level with the bottom of the hull.  Negative  deployment would be angling downward into the water.  Positive deployment would be angled up towards the swim deck.  Different people describe this differently but I am a old toolmaker that uses above the “0” plane as positive and below the “0” plane as negative.  I’ve read over on the Malibu forums that some of those guys are running positive 1 to 4 degrees loaded down with weight.   The “clicks” are equal to about a degree in a half on my boat. On the dial between “surf” and “skim” there is only about 6 degrees of movement 

Edited by Mrwick

Mrwick    65
10 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Man, that would be pretty awesome to have a killer wave with less weight, rather than more. Boat does not work as hard, more fuel efficient, more storage in boat, etc! Perfect wave shape with great push beats bigger wave anyway

In above video, that cant be all the movement there is in the tab, is it? Guessing it had already come down from its fully retracted position? 

I think ultimately more weight  probably = bigger wave but if I can keep replicating the wave I have now, I think I can be fairly happy.  It’s about as tall as my loaded listed wave and has good push back 20 to 25 foot.   If I can ditch the near 1k in lead, the boat becomes easier to tow.  The fact is I want an Ri wave but thats not going to happen out of my 5 yr old “value” surf boat.  If I can get close and the wave is easy to achieve, I’ll consider that a win.  Plus I only have 50k invested!

• Like 1