Sign in to follow this  
cripper

Hull blisters

cripper    8

Wondering if anyone has noticed any gel coat blisters on their newer boat?  I was waxing my boat (2017 RI257) this morning getting it ready for season and low and behold I get to bottom and I have about a section around 12” wide on each side of hull....I can’t tell how far they go back because it’s on trailer and it appears to follow bunk line.  I keep boat on covered lift all season at my dock.  I wipe it down every time I use it and cover it after every use.  I know cover is overkill but it keeps bugs out!  Boat spends all winter on trailer in my heated shop so it’s never in the elements.  Also I noticed a spider crack in middle of on swath of the blisters!!! One other thing is boat has NEVER spent the night in water...I lift it every time so it’s not prolonged exposure to water!   I hate this being that season starts now and I’m concenred this kind of repair will ruin entire summer!  I will try and lost some pics later and I appreciate any advice!

cripper    8

One other note....My Malibu 247 sat on same lift for 3 years and never had issue so I don't think its from lift.  Here are some photos...

blis1.jpg

blis2.jpg

blis3.jpg

Troy    234

Oh man! that stinks. Your dealer should take care of you though! Sorry I don't have any useful info, but want to wish you luck and hope it is taken care of in a timely manner. 

cripper    8

I guess if it is merely cosmetic (which is debateable) I wonder since boat is on lift all season if it would hurt to wait till end of season.  I know Centurion states boats left  in water fur extended periods are not covered by warranty but surely since my boat has never been left in water overnight it should be covered?

InfinitySurf    302

I would document really well with pics and get the dealer involved asap. I would sure hope that Fineline takes care of it and that they believe that you do not leave it in the water (get witness statements from neighbors, etc if they question that?).....I know they have been VERY good to me in all things and there is no doubt that it has made me even more loyal to the brand. Already love Centurion for many reasons, but just sweetens things when they also stand behind you/boat and take care of anything that may come up. Personally I would think that if documented and dealt with now so there is a resolution/decision, they would probably deal with it after season is over (they did this for me on some misc things last year and they are boaters and understand how frustrating it would be too lose boat for "non critical" repairs during summer). I am not sure what the fix is for something like that, but would imagine repair time is nothing too crazy. Hope not.

Sucks man and sure hope this is taken care of quickly and with minimal stress for you

cripper    8

@InfinitySurf thanks for well thought out rational response! I’ve been sick about this all day and dreading what’s next! To add fuel to fire my dealer is no longer Centurion dealer....I say my dealer with grain of salt. Anyhow the new dealer o know nothing about or reputation so this I will have to rely solely on Fineline.  None of the blisters have appeared to have a puncture so that’s why I’m thinking I should be good for this season.  The more I look at blisters it becomes evident it’s from trailer/lift bunks because they are a 6-8” dead straight line...they are not just random it’s a definitive line.  So with that said I would think that the argument is null and void concerning me leaving in water for extended period.  But who knows how others think!  I will reach out to Fineline tomorrow and I’m sure first response will be contact dealer ....but once again I don’t have one at moment so it hurts!

InfinitySurf    302
3 hours ago, cripper said:

@InfinitySurf thanks for well thought out rational response! I’ve been sick about this all day and dreading what’s next! To add fuel to fire my dealer is no longer Centurion dealer....I say my dealer with grain of salt. Anyhow the new dealer o know nothing about or reputation so this I will have to rely solely on Fineline.  None of the blisters have appeared to have a puncture so that’s why I’m thinking I should be good for this season.  The more I look at blisters it becomes evident it’s from trailer/lift bunks because they are a 6-8” dead straight line...they are not just random it’s a definitive line.  So with that said I would think that the argument is null and void concerning me leaving in water for extended period.  But who knows how others think!  I will reach out to Fineline tomorrow and I’m sure first response will be contact dealer ....but once again I don’t have one at moment so it hurts!

PM sent

luluzer    50

@cripper, I had the exact same issue with my 217.  I had it repaired and ate the expense because I float my boat and thought that might have caused it but my gel coat tech swore it was an issue with the factory molding. He also told me it just comesmetic but i had it fixed anyway because i wanted her to be pretty again. 

I considered having the bottom coated to prevent it from reoccuring after floating it this season but decided not to after the gel coat guy said i was an idiot (which i already knew but he help reaffirm). I was also considering a lift and second slip but after reading your post it appears Centurion had some issues with the molding process on the 217s. Be interested if anyone else comes forward.

My guy sanded the small area down with his sander, 600 lb wet dry followed with 1200 lb wet dry paper, and then a premium ultra popish to match the color and smooth out the spot.  Make a warranty claim for the repair costs and fineline shouldnt sweat you. If they do PM me, i know a lawyer that will throw any demand on his letter head ?

Edited by luluzer

JJOcean    30
14 hours ago, cripper said:

To add fuel to fire my dealer is no longer Centurion dealer....I say my dealer with grain of salt. Anyhow the new dealer o know nothing about or reputation so this I will have to rely solely on Fineline.  

What city are you in?  Doesn't say on your profile.  There was a dealer change here in Atlanta over the fall, so I can give you info/experience on the change if you're in Atlanta.

mrrpfc4    38

Nicole Turpin
Customer Service Assistant 
Phone # (209)205-2188
455 Grogan Ave
Merced, CA 95341

Here is the number to Nicole at Fineline , Nicole Turpin, she is a good place to start if you have issues she helped me when I had my issues with my boat, hope this helps

cripper    8

I am in Lagrange which is South West of Atlanta....I bought it from the folks who no longer carry Centurion.  I have heard that new Dealers have it but know nothing about them. @JJOcean if you don't mind shoot me a PM I would like to know anything I can before I blindly go in.  Last dealer was nice but I never really felt comfortable with them wrenching on boat since they were new to boats in general.  I did all work last year myself because of this!

@mrrpfc4 thanks for contact...I actually sent her an email this morning!

Hopefully this thing works itself out!

For those of us in Atlanta area, we have had a bad time with Centurion dealers.  I took mine to Erwin Marine in Chattanooga for service this year.  Keep us posted on the new dealer.

cripper    8

I spoke to New dealer in depth on Thursday and I feel RELIEVED to say the least!  These guys are “Boat Guys” not motorcycle guys.   From what I understand  they have been in boat repair business for 20+ years.  I didn’t even want last guys to do recalls on my boat! Hopefully all will work out as it seems it’s going to....will be taking carpet off lift bunks and trailer bunks and replacing with gatorbak or snaptraxx I’m very near future so this doesn’t happen again....the wet carpet on lift and trailer are what appears to be cause.   Will let you guys know how it comes out.   On another note if you purchased a boat from last dealer I highly recommend contacting Centurion with above contact info because my boat was not registered with either Centurion or PCM so essentially I had no warranty even though I purchased a brand new boat!! Nicole handled for me so I’m good to go in future ! 

InfinitySurf    302
45 minutes ago, cripper said:

I spoke to New dealer in depth on Thursday and I feel RELIEVED to say the least!  These guys are “Boat Guys” not motorcycle guys.   From what I understand  they have been in boat repair business for 20+ years.  I didn’t even want last guys to do recalls on my boat! Hopefully all will work out as it seems it’s going to....will be taking carpet off lift bunks and trailer bunks and replacing with gatorbak or snaptraxx I’m very near future so this doesn’t happen again....the wet carpet on lift and trailer are what appears to be cause.   Will let you guys know how it comes out.   On another note if you purchased a boat from last dealer I highly recommend contacting Centurion with above contact info because my boat was not registered with either Centurion or PCM so essentially I had no warranty even though I purchased a brand new boat!! Nicole handled for me so I’m good to go in future ! 

Wow, that is crazy that they never even registered your boat. Glad its all working out!

Tleeah    33

Wow that is crazy.  I have had boats on lifts for years.  I may look into that gator trak.  I have never seen blistering but did not really look for it.  I will look now.  

Kmt    2

We bought a brand new boat and it was covered in blisters in 6 months.  Clearly defective hull and fineline does NOT stand behind the defect.