Sign in to follow this  
Jlagos

Subwoofer

Jlagos    23

Simple question for lots of ya.

My sv 240 has the factory standard 4-channel Kicker MX350.4 amp that generates 175 W bridged at 4 ohms which was driving the generic factory installed Skylon subwoofer which is now dead. I was thinking of a 10" JL Audio MX10IB3 (rated upgto 175w RMS at 4 ohms). My brother said he would give me a Wet sounds  SW-10FA (left over from prior purchase). Other than being free and an obvious gimme, will the MX350.4 be able to produce a decent sound without upgrading the AMP even though the Wet sounds sub is rated upto 300w RMS and peak of 600w. I have more pressing wants to spend money on such as adding ballasts to the boat in addition to getting a carport like enclosure to protect from the sun when not in use. So the radio is going to take a back seat to everything else...

Wylie_Tunes    146

Since both woofers are free-air (JL just uses the term infinite-baffle) and both 10", their output with the given 175W rms will be nearly identical. Just need to make sure that SW-10FA is also 4 ohm. Free woofer for the win!

InfinitySurf    302

Know nothing about stereo's, but on the carport comment....At my current house (building a new one right now), I had one of those metal carports put up that you can buy for a few k and had them install metal on both sides that matched the roof, then closed off the rear and used a heavy duty tarp for the front so I can open/close easy to pull boat in/out. I dont have an HOA here so easy to do. At new house I wont be that lucky and am building a detached garage for the boat. Anyway, this carport made a perfect enclosure for the boat to keep it out of weather and was pretty cheap (I do have to replace the tarps 1-2 times a year cause sun wears them out and they start ripping). May be what you are planning to do, but figured I would throw it out there. Nick213 also built an enclosed area for his boat that looked really nice, and probably reasonably priced.

Nick213    583

It was on sale at tractor supply for $1800.00 during the holidays. It's  a shelter lock.

IMG_0262.JPG

Jlagos    23

Wylie, 

Thanks for the help. It appears the WS can also be placed into an enclosure vs free air. Would the sound be improved with the enclosure/box as opposed to free-air

Jlagos    23

Infinity,

The carport description is exactly what i was thinking including the tarp covering the front.

Nick,

How long does the covering last on your set-up? I really like the closing capabilities. I notice you dont have many tall trees hovering over the roof tops like we often have in the carolinas. It looks to be a good material.

Wylie_Tunes    146
8 hours ago, Jlagos said:

Wylie, 

Thanks for the help. It appears the WS can also be placed into an enclosure vs free air. Would the sound be improved with the enclosure/box as opposed to free-air

In my opinion, the 10FA sounds better when properly done infinite-baffle. A small enclosure makes it a little "peaky". 

Nick213    583

It's been up all winter and still looks like the day we put it up.

InfinitySurf    302

Yea, I have a lot of trees on current property so needed a metal carport, get a lot of tree debris falling down and occasionally small branches, so metal holds up well. If I had setup like Nick tho, I would jump on something like that, great price too! Nice to be weather tight on all 4 sides with easy in/out. I have to drop tower to pull it in mine since I am like 9ft 6" high at center peak and boat is almost 12ft tall with tower (18" wheels on trailer). But that is why the new one I am building now will have a 12x12 garage door....16ft wide X 32ft long :wub: