Sign in to follow this  
InfinitySurf

Best way to clean/polish and then wax/seal tower?

InfinitySurf    302

I have the Aegis Tower on 2014 SV244, it has a black finish....but it appears to be anodized and not painted, its not glossy like some of the new towers I have seen with paint. Before I put my bimini back on and get her out, I want to clean and wax it. Anyone done this before....and can recommend the best solution to clean it up good without removing the finish?

I assume I don't want to use the Boat Candy polish since that may remove some finish...right? Its making the gelcoat beautiful but I know it is almost like a fine sandpaper so assume I do not want to do that (would do by hand either way, not machine). Once cleaned, I planned to put a coat of the Collonite wax on tower. Any do/don't here before I try something?

Another thot was I bought the Collonite cleaner wax....perhaps best to just use the cleaner and then wax it and call it good? Thanks for any recommendations.

Tleeah    33

When I had my Aegis tower, the best results came from cleaning it with a mild water spot remover.  I used Hula gnarly water spot remover.  Then I would go back over with a spray detailer (spray wax).  Again I used the Hula spray detailer.  This seemed to keep it looking good and shiny.  If you do not have Hula, I think any brand would work.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Tleeah

InfinitySurf    302
7 hours ago, Tleeah said:

When I had my Aegis tower, the best results came from cleaning it with a mild water spot remover.  I used Hula gnarly water spot remover.  Then I would go back over with a spray detailer (spray wax).  Again I used the Hula spray detailer.  This seemed to keep it looking good and shiny.  If you do not have Hula, I think any brand would work.  Hope this helps.

Thank you, this helps. I also read up on anodized aluminum last night and sounds like its a really hard finish and they actually say you can use a mild abrasive to clean using mild soap as cleaner. @Nick213 had recommended some TR3 a while ago and I picked some of that up, think I will give that a try after cleaning....and also have the Boat Candy spray wax. I planned to use the TR3 on my 2 vehicles when I have time to clean them up good.

Tleeah    33

That's great.  I think the TR3 would be a good option too.  The spray detail seems to minimize water spots and make it look good.