Has anyone ever had there side swipe removed and had the heads replaced and take the exhaust back to the rear? Thinking of doing it to my Avalanche C4 Storm Series. Just too loud. It's an 06 so not sure if worth doing it or just waiting to upgrade boat all together. Thanks

geb202002    24

I have the sideswipe on my 06 lightning and it was a lil too much after a full day on the water.  I installed the GGB exhaust inserts and noticed a significant improvement.  It didn't require porting out the back or cutting any new holes in the hull.  I would say the performance loss using them is not even noticeable. 

https://marineexhaust.ggb.ca/4-inch-insert-55-inch-long-sport-pair

Its a fairly cheap fix to a pretty expensive problem.

Jake707    171

Arent the sideswipes below the waterline?

InfinitySurf    302
14 hours ago, Maxpowers1207 said:

I have an 04 cyclone with side swipe and was looking into getting coals (https://www.shapeways.com/product/9P2TEGCNH/sideswipe-cowl-lh?optionId=63375301), but you're saying you were able to notice a difference with the inserts?   Were they difficult to install? 

I think @Hein added these....maybe he can weigh in on if it helped the noise level. 

Shaka    146
On 4/3/2018 at 7:54 AM, geb202002 said:

I have the sideswipe on my 06 lightning and it was a lil too much after a full day on the water.  I installed the GGB exhaust inserts and noticed a significant improvement.  It didn't require porting out the back or cutting any new holes in the hull.  I would say the performance loss using them is not even noticeable. 

https://marineexhaust.ggb.ca/4-inch-insert-55-inch-long-sport-pair

Its a fairly cheap fix to a pretty expensive problem.

Have you got install pics?

Hein    63
16 hours ago, Maxpowers1207 said:

I have an 04 cyclone with side swipe and was looking into getting coals (https://www.shapeways.com/product/9P2TEGCNH/sideswipe-cowl-lh?optionId=63375301), but you're saying you were able to notice a difference with the inserts?   Were they difficult to install? 

I designed those and have them installed on our 2008 Enzo. They do make it quieter.  Please be aware that there are some little brackets inside that you'll have to DIY.  And important to bond the edge of the cowl to the side of the boat around the side swipe plate with urethane adhesive or the water rushing past will peel it off.  Ours have been on for two seasons and I did have to reseal one where the adhesive came loose. 

I did also coat the parts with Rustoleum Bedliner spray before installing them.

I would be happy to offer support if you decide to install them.   My contact info is at DIYvan.com

Edited by Hein

3 hours ago, Jake707 said:

Arent the sideswipes below the waterline?

They are under the water line until the boat gets underway, then the water drops below them making them loud.

1 hour ago, Hein said:

I designed those and have them installed on our 2008 Enzo. They do make it quieter.  Please be aware that there are some little brackets inside that you'll have to DIY.  And important to bond the edge of the cowl to the side of the boat around the side swipe plate with urethane adhesive or the water rushing past will peel it off.  Ours have been on for two seasons and I did have to reseal one where the adhesive came loose. 

I did also coat the parts with Rustoleum Bedliner spray before installing them.

I would be happy to offer support if you decide to install them.   My contact info is at DIYvan.com

I was planning on contacting you about them when I get my boat out of storage and am able to measure the side swipe plate to ensure they would fit. 

I live in Michigan and it just snowed last night, so it may be a bit longer before I get the boat out. 

arono    0

I removed the sideswipe from my 06 Enzo and replaced it with an FAE. Huge reduction in the noise and was well worth it in my opinion but I'm not planning to get rid of the boat any time soon. 

Shaka    146
On 4/5/2018 at 3:02 PM, arono said:

I removed the sideswipe from my 06 Enzo and replaced it with an FAE. Huge reduction in the noise and was well worth it in my opinion but I'm not planning to get rid of the boat any time soon. 

Any spray issues?

arono    0
22 hours ago, Shaka said:

Any spray issues?

Nope....I heard the early kits had spray issues but they made a couple changes to the end of the pipe to correct that issue. 

InfinitySurf    302
On 4/6/2018 at 7:06 PM, Shaka said:

Any spray issues?

I put on an FAE last summer and have a little spray when surfing. Larry said they had come up with a spray plate that he would ship me this Spring and said they had a lot of success with it, tho have not seen it. I had emailed him a couple times without a response....but last week, Christina emailed me back and said she planned to ship it to me this week, so hopefully it will show up soon. I notices that the factory FAE systems coming out on some of the brands have a plate built-in, so assume it will be similar to that, but not sure how I will attach it. Hope to find out soon and hopefully it will fix the issue.

Honestly the spray is not terrible and usually by adjusting the trim plate I could get the spray to go away or be so light it didnt matter, but be better to not have to deal with it. I think its the deep V hull that causes the spray, the tip of the FAE and the pocket of air just behind the V meet....I may be wrong, but that is what it appears to me like what was making it happen when looking down while surfing behind the boat

Shaka    146
On 4/6/2018 at 7:11 PM, Nick213 said:

@Shaka your at Naci this weekend?

Yessir. Not particularly warm but we are wakesurfing anyway.

geb202002    24

I have some pictures of the installation and would be happy to walk someone through it if needed.  It wont let me upload the pics as they are too big but i can email them if you would like?

InfinitySurf    302
4 hours ago, geb202002 said:

I have some pictures of the installation and would be happy to walk someone through it if needed.  It wont let me upload the pics as they are too big but i can email them if you would like?

You can also use this tool to re-size the pics so you can post them....

http://www.resizeimage.net/

JP2    5

I have a 07 Enzo with Sideswipe and also did the GGB inserts and could not be happier. Took the harshness away and no change in performance. Simple, easy solution and did not cost much. 

Shaka    146
26 minutes ago, JP2 said:

I have a 07 Enzo with Sideswipe and also did the GGB inserts and could not be happier. Took the harshness away and no change in performance. Simple, easy solution and did not cost much. 

I installed them before last week's Powell trip. I also could not be happier. It's not silent but it's definitely better. I don't have to crank the speakers as much nor do I have to yell to speak.

• Like 1

Rhale    80

So the GGB website is no longer public and you have to call. Are these the multi-disc inserts that go into the exhaust? And approximate cost?