Sign in to follow this  
InfinitySurf

Last things done to be ready for summer

DrNate    426
On 3/27/2018 at 10:01 PM, InfinitySurf said:

Thanks Rhunt. I have the exact same manual for my 2014. I literally read it cover to cover (more than once, as sad as that sounds), still does not say much about the Dex-cool specifics. Think I have found what I needed now tho, at least enough that I am comfortable with it. Gonna drain it as some point for sure this year, flush and put new Dex-cool in the system just to be sure its clean. Probably wait till fall tho

I have a local acquaintance that I recently met, he is driving to pick up a 2014 SV233, he will be back with it on Thurs if it checks out with mechanic, etc. He is fairly new to inboard game tho has owned other boats like most of us did before getting a wake boat. I will help him with service, has same ZR409 engine mine does....and of course we will get to play on each others boats this summer as well. Hopefully it checks out and he comes home with the boat so I can satisfy my OCD on something else now that mine is almost done and ready for the summer.

Infinity, if you do drain your coolant it would be SUPER helpful if you could take some pics and do a small write-up for how to drain the DEX-COOL.  I for one would really appreciate it, and I know others would as well.

I didn't see the pic of your boat without vinyl?  What was the problem?  Yours is a 2014, yes?

Nick213    583
4 hours ago, DrNate said:

Infinity, if you do drain your coolant it would be SUPER helpful if you could take some pics and do a small write-up for how to drain the DEX-COOL.  I for one would really appreciate it, and I know others would as well.

I didn't see the pic of your boat without vinyl?  What was the problem?  Yours is a 2014, yes?

It's in a different thread. He was lucky enough to have centurion warranty his vinyl. Dura would be very jealous if he read about it ?

DrNate    426
43 minutes ago, Nick213 said:

It's in a different thread. He was lucky enough to have centurion warranty his vinyl. Dura would be very jealous if he read about it ?

Mine was replaced under warranty with some begging but only the seats :( . And I had to pay for labor to have them replaced.

InfinitySurf    302
4 hours ago, DrNate said:

Mine was replaced under warranty with some begging but only the seats :( . And I had to pay for labor to have them replaced.

Since boat was bought new in March of 2015 and I brought the vinyl issue to their attention last Spring (not noticable really, really it was my OCD kicking in cause almost no one else noticed it...and it had nothing to do with seams or stitching which is what I hear they dont like to warranty cause they dont know how it was treated, that technically only has a 1yr warranty)....I think the material and labor worked in my favor cause 2014 was first year of the full 5yr warranties with first 3yr parts and labor and after that they only provide parts....and you provide labor. But they verified it was a bad batch of glue effecting the vinyl after shipping them a cushion to inspect, which they said was isolated to a few boats before they caught it and switched glue, so I got lucky and I did not talk about it much online cause they were so standup about it and have treated me extremely fair on everything. By the time all was fully approved, it was mid-summer so I asked them to wait till winter and the season was over so I did not have down time. Then over this winter I think the dealer procrastinated a little bit and I did not start pushing it till around Dec. Then it just happened that the vinyl guy he used had just sold out to someone he did not trust so it took us about 2 months to find someone we both trusted, once that solidified, it happened pretty quick (thank goodness cause we just started getting great weather about a week ago). From the day I dropped off boat for them to remove old cushions till day they are done and it ready to pick up is gonna be like 15 days which I think is very reasonable on boat that size considering they are not only working on my boat of course. I took the boat back home after they removed old vinyl so I could work on it....then I dropped boat back off to them on this past Monday and they had all but 3 cushions finished and ready for install.... and it looks like factory work, very happy with what I saw! So long as they put my speaker system all back together right, the new vinyl combined with all the other little things I am doing is gonna give it a brand new look. Besides the new vinyl....gelcoat all completely redone now, I ordered Aqua Marine decking for a bunch of misc things I wanted to cover, I added a custom seat to my back step so seams will stay perfect (hopefully) and I also ordered a swim step cover from Cory at Evolution Covers, his promo price of $110 for his R/R Series is unbeatable in my opinion....I sent him the template today. Literally just traced the swim step on piece of clear plastic and wrote the thickness of the deck on it and he will fabricate a custom fitted cover in about 2 weeks that is trailerable.

When I do the DEX-COOL, I will do a writeup for sure. It was so hard to find info on it, and I am sure others have looked and wanted to know as well. I just need to verify all the areas on that engine I need to drain (the manual really is not too clear on that), flush process, etc just cause I have never dont a coolant change on car or boat myself before. I did however verify with a 2nd dealer that they put the DEX-COOL in straight and do not mix it at all with distilled water. (The dealer my boat was bought from and my local dealer, the local one I went in person and saw that literally the same bottle I bought is what they use...Its the Prestone Orange and it looks pink once poured in the overflow). Before I actually do it, I will verify by asking them to specifically email PCM about whether it gets mixed 50/50 or not, but seems that so far that it does not. I thought I was lower on coolant, but since I literally only had to put a pint n half into the overflow, I just put it in without any water and I probably wont mess with it till sometime later in summer when I have a downtime week, or worst case this coming Fall. Kindof burning out on all the work and ready to get to the riding/enjoying part for a while!!

I already took home my back seat since they finished installing the new skin....and installed the top piece of the HDPE that will act as my step (placed over HDPE insert under the new vinyl so its solid). Once the Aqua Marine decking gets here, this will get covered by matching Grey over Black micro dot decking (also got a new piece for walk-thru transom, replacing snap in carpet over built-in cushion with decking....adding 4) 2" wide pieces on the gunwales and 2 custom fitted pieces that will cover bow and run up bow gunwales. Also ordered a round piece to place in bottom of all my cup holders. Pretty pumped about how everything is going to look

Step built into new vinyl skin.jpg

Edited by InfinitySurf

DrNate    426

I can 100% assure you that the DEX-COOL is supposed to be 50/50 mixed with distilled water

InfinitySurf    302

Got my swim step cover from Evolution Covers today...they are running a special on these covers for $110.00, think it was a great deal. I sent template, got it today and it fits like a glove. Got trailer cleaned up today....used 2 coats of TR3 and then waxed with Collonite, even put a coat of wax on the rims and they shine like new again. Been windy as crap, we had a couple tornado's touch down this past weekend, Saturday is supposed to be good tho and planning to take it out for maiden voyage. Just waiting on my Aqua Marine Decking now

Webp.net-resizeimage (13).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (12).jpg

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Wish I had taken a before pictures, cause the back vents looked really bad before I did this and boat has always been inside when not in use, so seemed pre-mature to me on a 2014.. To re-furbish.....I polished several times with rotary pad using boat candy "polish"....then also several coats of TR3, going back a couple days in a row to re-coat....then collonite wax. Not quite as "shiny" as brand new, but a HUGE difference.

I noticed some older threads of people asking how to clean/polish (cause I wanted to know too), so thot I would post this since it was successful for me.

Webp.net-resizeimage (12).jpg

bomoseen avy    45

can u tell me what you used for pad/polish; was it a cutting pad/creme or more polishing? dual action orbital polisher or straight rotary?

Great job boat is schmexy!!

JJOcean    30

CF vents look great.  Let me know how long they stay looking like that?  Can't remember the product I've been using, but they turn out great after application, but they loose shine after 2-3 outings.

Was thinking the only real way to fix it was to take them off and put a high quality clear coat on them.

InfinitySurf    302

Just got my rock guards in mail and mounted in about 30mins. Comes with everything in pics...older reviews say they do not come with angle and bracket...., but they changed to include if you get the right package, price is little higher but it worked perfect for my truck. This was cheapest system decent system ($112) I could find and it comes off with receiver so when no towing truck, dont have the guards installed since I think they are all ugly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OAT7LW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Full size pic of rock guard.jpg

close up.jpg

InfinitySurf    302
2 hours ago, bomoseen avy said:

can u tell me what you used for pad/polish; was it a cutting pad/creme or more polishing? dual action orbital polisher or straight rotary?

Great job boat is schmexy!!

I used Makita variable speed rotary (think regular rotary would work fine too just dont rev it out)....with wool synthetic blend 9" pad and used the Boat Candy Polish (not cutting compound)....any brand polish would likely work the same.

Honestly tho, the TR3 (applied by hand multiple times) is what really brought the shine out and made them look better. The polish got water marks and yellowin/sun fading off.

57 minutes ago, JJOcean said:

CF vents look great.  Let me know how long they stay looking like that?  Can't remember the product I've been using, but they turn out great after application, but they loose shine after 2-3 outings.

Was thinking the only real way to fix it was to take them off and put a high quality clear coat on them.

I plan to re-apply the TR3 every other week or so to keep them looking good and sealed (it has a resin in it that hardens). I also waxed with Collonite after the TR3 had dried so I have double protection....supposed to give TR3, 2hrs to harden.

I heard in older thread people talking about doing the high quality clear coat but that I know of, no one did it. If you do, please update cause it would be nice to not have to constantly upkeep. But when rest of boat looks great and they look like crap, my OCD kicks in.

Ddhockett    0

Is that the regular size swim platform or the surf platform @InfinitySurf? I’m planning on getting a cover for mine, if it’s the regular platform then maybe he could duplicate yours for me. 

RhuntIII    555

She's clean and happy

InfinitySurf    302
3 hours ago, Ddhockett said:

Is that the regular size swim platform or the surf platform @InfinitySurf? I’m planning on getting a cover for mine, if it’s the regular platform then maybe he could duplicate yours for me. 

It is the surf sized. Super easy tho....$2 piece of clear plastic from Lowes or hardware store, trace the outline and tell them what thickest part of your swim platform is

InfinitySurf    302
44 minutes ago, Nick213 said:

@InfinitySurf liking the truck.... from that pic I'd say you stole mine ?

IMG_0087.JPG

So....same truck, same boat.....both General Contractors. Brother from another mother!

Just put the BF Goodrich KO2 tires on the truck, so figured I better have a way to protect boat since they will kick up rocks a lot quicker than the factory tires that were on there. 10ply too, so will tow and last longer.

Nick213    583
25 minutes ago, InfinitySurf said:

So....same truck, same boat.....both General Contractors. Brother from another mother!

Just put the BF Goodrich KO2 tires on the truck, so figured I better have a way to protect boat since they will kick up rocks a lot quicker than the factory tires that were on there. 10ply too, so will tow and last longer.

LMAO, have my third set of ko2's on mine and about to put the forth set on in a few months. The sad part is I have 69000 miles on my truck and am putting the fifth set of tires on it soon ?

Edited by Nick213

InfinitySurf    302
9 hours ago, Nick213 said:

LMAO, have my third set of ko2's on mine and about to put the forth set on in a few months. The sad part is I have 69000 miles on my truck and am putting the fifth set of tires on it soon ?

What....I thot they lasted a lot longer than that, read a lot of reviews where people said they lasted quite well? I got 60k out of the factory tires and heard these tires can get 60k if you rotate and keep the right psi in them (I am running 48psi). Guess it depends a lot on driving conditions tho. Dang, hope these don't wear that fast for me, I do a lot of highway miles.

Nick213    583

Well I drive more like a teen with a sports car then a grandma and I forget to do rotations. The stock tires only lasted about 18000 miles.

InfinitySurf    302

Got a chance to take the boat out for a cruise today to double check all was good before taking it surfing sometime during this next week and managed to also pull my first dumba** move for the year. After launch, idled for a bit checking everything, making sure temp did not climb and no leaks... and then started throttling up, noticed she seemed a bit back heavy....didnt want to plane as quick/well and after 10mins or so or warming up, I took her up to WOT for about 30 seconds and maxed at 37 (only taken the boat WOT 1 other time and it was slightly over 40). Didn't really click in my head, but was thinking that I did not remember the boat riding back heavy before. Anyway, got her back to dock and loaded it up, pulled out of water and did my normal procedures to trailer home, one of them being to open the Ramfill gates, not only to dry out but cause I find they rarely stick if I leave them in opened position when not using the boat. Dang boat DUMPED water for a full 20 seconds, must have had both sides of Ramfill tanks 3/4 full, washed my sandal's into the lake, lol

I realized that I did not key up the boat before backing it into water (which closes the gates automatically), I normally turn on the blower before backing in....so gates were open the entire time I was doing startup pre-checks and I took my time since it was first run of the year. DUH. Bet I wont forget that again this season