Sign in to follow this  
InfinitySurf

Sand/polish metal flake gelcoat?

InfinitySurf    302

Getting ready to polish up my boat and it has metal flake on sides....very light scratches in a couple areas so dont think it will require wet sanding or anything, but I got the Boat Candy products from the extreme to the polish. Is there any different process to the metal flake compared to regular gelcoat or can I just do what I do, making sure I dont take too much off?

Planning to start this tomorrow. Thanks

RhuntIII    555

Did  you get the speed gloss?

InfinitySurf    302
4 hours ago, RhuntIII said:

Did  you get the speed gloss?

I have the crystal cut compound supreme....the crystal cut compound and the crystal polish. Vary from roughly 1200 grit to 2500. Made to use with a rotary machine, I bought the variable speed Makita with pads over winter prepping for this and planned to do the entire boat and end with Collonite Wax. I have the quickie sauce to maintain it.

95% of the boat just has some very light oxidation starting and some water spots, few areas have some minor scratches and one spot near bow has a long scuff mark from when it was dry docked....forklift operator must have been lifting as he backed up after setting boat down and it dragged across the hull. I dont think that will be hard to get our tho cause not a deep scratch or anything, more of a scuff mark. 

Really the only thing I am worried about is going over the metal flake. Most of the boat I only intent to use the crystal polish since its only that light oxidation.....but in the few areas with scratches and scuff I was going to start with the cutting compound and if that does not work go to the supreme and then work my way back to the polish. I have read a lot of thread and understand the process, while it makes me nervous on expensive boat like this, I am confident I can do it. Just do see much talk about flake areas of gelcoat so want to be sure before I start on it.

Shaka    146

The metal flake has clear coat over it so you should be fine.

Nick213    583

Just get a can of TR3 and wax the boat in the spring and fall with it. During the season use babes, boat candy, 303, or what ever brand you prefer to clean after every outing and your boat will be in top notch shape years on end.

InfinitySurf    302
6 hours ago, Nick213 said:

Just get a can of TR3 and wax the boat in the spring and fall with it. During the season use babes, boat candy, 303, or what ever brand you prefer to clean after every outing and your boat will be in top notch shape years on end.

That does not fix the issues tho. After I fix it.....that is exactly what I am gonna do. Boat came with these scratches/light oxidation cause they dry stored boat and did not wipe down gelcoat after each outing. I have been planning this fix and working up the nerve for a year, so gotta polish it first. Sounds like there is clearcoat over the flake tho so I will move forward and just keep it light on flake areas. Thanks

InfinitySurf    302

I just looked up TR3. Its cleaner and polish, since its for cars....does it also work on gelcoat?

I did try acetone already and while it certainly helped, did not remove the oxidation

Nick213    583

I have used it on all my boats and the gelcoats have all been pristine.

InfinitySurf    302
42 minutes ago, Nick213 said:

I have used it on all my boats and the gelcoats have all been pristine.

Just ordered some from Amazon, according to reviews, works even better using a rotary polisher, which I have. Thanks for the tip, if this gets rid of the oxidation and I only have to use the compound for the light scratches, that will be nice. I assume you still wax after using this? I use Collonite, seems to last the longest

Nick213    583

That is what I use for wax twice a year. Then I use boat candy products to clean after every use.

Dan gib    8

I have a similar situation the flake on my boat is kinda faded the worse is on the transom above the centurion logo bc it is exposed to the sun the most.

What products would you fellows recommend. Thanks

Dan gib    8
On 3/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, Nick213 said:

That is what I use for wax twice a year. Then I use boat candy products to clean after every use.

What the TR3

Shaka    146
7 hours ago, Dan gib said:

I have a similar situation the flake on my boat is kinda faded the worse is on the transom above the centurion logo bc it is exposed to the sun the most.

What products would you fellows recommend. Thanks

I would get a line where the sun would fade what wasn't covered by the cover. I used rubbing compound and a buffer to get it out. I believe I had the best results with 3m products.

Dan gib    8
1 hour ago, Shaka said:

I would get a line where the sun would fade what wasn't covered by the cover. I used rubbing compound and a buffer to get it out. I believe I had the best results with 3m products.

They make so many anything specific?

InfinitySurf    302

Whichever brand you use....cutting compound first, then polish, then wax.

I used Boat Candy and it worked excellent. Boat Candy also has an "extreme" cutting compound, which I did get but did not need, just used the regular cutting compound. Boat is now shiny with no scratches or oxidation. Mirror finish.

I did have to wet sand a few deeper scratches from the forklift....I used 2000 for most, but a couple I had to go with 1500 then 2000 then cutting compound then polish. After sanding you may have to go over it a few times with the cutting compound till you are happy. Go slow, start on low rpm for first few passes and then faster.

Dan gib    8
4 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Whichever brand you use....cutting compound first, then polish, then wax.

I used Boat Candy and it worked excellent. Boat Candy also has an "extreme" cutting compound, which I did get but did not need, just used the regular cutting compound. Boat is now shiny with no scratches or oxidation. Mirror finish.

I did have to wet sand a few deeper scratches from the forklift....I used 2000 for most, but a couple I had to go with 1500 then 2000 then cutting compound then polish. After sanding you may have to go over it a few times with the cutting compound till you are happy. Go slow, start on low rpm for first few passes and then faster.

guess i gotta get a buffer you guys using rotary or DA and decent ones for a once a year use on the cheap?

InfinitySurf    302
2 hours ago, Dan gib said:

guess i gotta get a buffer you guys using rotary or DA and decent ones for a once a year use on the cheap?

I bought a Makita, rotary with variable speed.....but knew I would be working on boat quite a bit and also plan to use it on vehicles. I hear Harbor Freight has a cheaper one and sure it will do fine. I would say it is important to have the variable speed tho cause you can "burn" the gelcoat if you go too fast. I started @ 600rpm to spread compound/polish and did first 2 passes at that speed and then sped it up to 1200-1500 max for another 2-3 passes going side/side and up/down over each 2x2-2x3 section. Time consuming and probably spent around 16hrs doing the wetsand, compound and polish, but I am a perfectionist and it was worth it once done.

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302
41 minutes ago, Dieselbreath said:

What collonite is everyone using?

I bought the cleaner and the 945 wax (think it was a package deal on Amazon I found). Never actually used the cleaner on the boat, but probably will on the vehicles. Wax is awesome....used it on boat, trailer, trailer rims, carbon fiber vents (after polishing and using TR3)....and will be using it on vehicles when I get around to it. Boat was the priority, lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..