RhuntIII    555

2014 was a bad year for Centurion and that’s my opinion. Lots of problems with Ram Fill gates/DrainMaster and that’s a fact. If the gates, all 4 have been replaced to Valterras then you should be good there. They also introduced a new tower that year that I didn’t like. If it has a Gladiator tower that would be better. Once again, my opinion. 

Is the 2017 S238 a used boat? I’m not a big fan of the windshield, yet another opinion. Lol. 

Both boats will throw an excellent wave and without seeing either one and going off your simple detailedless question I would go with the 238.

Post up pics so we can see the boats and Good luck in your search. 

MFaso    56

I have a 2017 s238. You'll find a few threads here by me and some others who have the boat. It is my first surf boat.(I've had boats for years though) I learned on the boat but I grew up snowboarding and surfing so I didn't have a problem standing up. Just an issue with catching and tuning the wave for maybe the first 5 trips out.

I love the boat. I found the windshield very helpful and I think I would miss it if I bought a new boat. I often pull up to the dock and am able to grab the rope and tie on easily. I also like being able to pull up to the surfer in the water and look over the side. I never got wet because of it and I love how different it looks from all of the other boats that have the rounded glass.

The thing I was worried about most was the push on the wave. It does work stock but it's a beast of a boat and takes more weight than the stock setup to sink it down. I upgraded to the wake makers package and added 500lbs of lead. It was a game changer and I became addicted to it quick.

I didn't have any issues with it. My family enjoyed the boat as well. We spend a lot of time anchored. I fill the QF tanks to sink the platform and the kids love swimming right up onto it. I can't really say anything bad about it. I have just about every option other than the gator floor and the tower speakers. I prefer to take the snap in rug out and clean it. The gator floor would get stained with the kids being little and eating on the boat all the time. Didn't get the tower speakers because the stock radio was loud enough. We like to be able to talk to each other rather than yelling over the radio. Also, my kids are little. Just no need for that. It's preference.

Let me know if you have any questions.

luluzer    50

I would guess that the FX wave will probably be a little "better" and easier to dial in, but the difference between the two waves is probably small compared to the difference in quality in boats, just my guess from what i read and seen on this site). The 2017 is basically a brand new boat where the 2014 is no longer being manufactured. Centurion moved away from the FX for alot of the reasons @RhuntIII identified.

The two biggest knocks that i have seen the 238 is the need for added ballast and the windshield. Assuming you are smart enough not to get caught up in looks over functionality, the windshield should really be a non issue (most people who have the modified windshield seem to like the functionality). As far as ballast, every boat out there needs added ballast. Even the guys running the 257s are adding 1000 lbs in the rear lockers, and they start with 5500 lbs factory. I add 400 lbs lead to my 217 on top of the 4950 factory) and the waves are sick. @MFasocan correct me, but the difference i seen between my 217 and 226 is i still have space in my rears for gear where my rears in the 226 were bagged to the brim. I think that will be the case with the 238, but the boat itself and the wave will be amazing. 

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by luluzer
Cya

InfinitySurf    302

I have a 2014 Centurion SV244 that I love. It has the Aegis Tower which may be the one that Rhunt does not like but I far prefer it to the gladiator personally (tall and very strong, folds well tho probably not as low as the gladiator, big 8ft bimini) and I am pretty sure that tower was the base that they created the Maximus tower but just added side panels to it that are on the later RI models. Think Aegis Tower was only out 2-3yrs, you dont see it on many boats.

Drainmasters were an issue for sure on Ramfill. I actually had the Valterra valves sent to me under warranty and have not replaced them on my boat cause I have really had no issues from mine BUT I lube them at least every other trip out. Because of that, I have had zero issues out of them (they always open/close and never had to use the "key" to manually cycle them) and will keep using them till they give me issues and then will install the Valterra valves I got. The FX44 throws a huge wave.

Supreme is a good boat and you have the benefit of longer warranty time probably. Like Rhunt said tho, hard to judge without having any details or options on either boat.

Craig    0

Hi MFaso, I have a 2016 s238 and purchased it late last summer so I only had it out a few times with stock ballasts.  I did upgrade to two 1100 bags in the rear lockers.  It is different then my buddys 2017 238 where he has a couple more bags than I do.  I have the two hull quick fill tanks, a center tank and the two big bags in the rear.  Just wondering a couple things.  How much weight do the hull tanks provide and how much weight does the center tank provide?  Also, are your bags in the rear 1100s?  Just curious as to what I should get for lead.  

Thanks, Craig

rrd525    40

We have a 2016. I think these were our settings last summer.
Sumo Sac 850's full, Quick Fill Full, Center tank Full, and maybe some Bow bag weight depending on passengers and seating. We also run 335 lbs of lead. 80lbs at the rear of each locker, 25 lbs at the front of each locker, 50 lbs under Port Seat, 75 lbs under Starboard seat.
Quicksurf all the way down, Trim tab 20 - 50% depending on surf side.
Speed 11 to 11.4.
Bleed a little off the non surf side quick-fill to clean the wave.
Full fuel when we start, and on most outings just 2 adults, and 2 teen boys. So 3 of us on the boat during a surf session.
We have plenty of push.

Each rear quick fill tank should be 500lbs, center tank 350 lbs.
Front bow bag 500 lbs.

Craig    0

Great thanks for that help!

Craig    0

And hey I was wondering, where's a good lake out your way for surfing rrd525?

rrd525    40

We're derailing the thread.

We're super close to Alouette, so this is our home lake.
We hit Pitt and Cultus once in awhile, and spend time on Osoyoos  as well. Did you grab your S238 from Extreme?

Craig    0

Yes I did. I traded in our 04 Supra launch. I only had it for one season. And it was my first boat so I am really a newbie. I love surfing though. It really got me hooked on my friends boat. I just got back from extreme. Bought 500lbs of lead so I hope I’m ready to roll. 

We live about 5 min away from cultus so it’s our home lake but I’d love to hit a few more this summer. We spent 5 days at Mabel lake last summer which was unreal. Barely blew up at all. And warm 

rrd525    40

What Brand of lead are they stocking? Pop or WakeBallast? 

Craig    0

Leadwake