MFaso

Anyone use a video camera attached to their tower?

MFaso    56

I was thinking of getting a go pro but they are pricey and I wasn't sure how much I would actually use it. Then I saw a $100 dash cam for a car in BJs and was wondering if that would work.

Does anyone have a camera attached to their tower(or anywhere) to grab video? If so what are you using and how is the footage? I'm not interested in choppy unclear footage but I don't need 4k either. 1080p is probably fine. I'd like to be able to hit record and drive. Image stabilization might be helpful but not even sure about that as cell phone footage does well.

Thanks!

Shaka    146

Check out the Apeman action cameras. Quality video and I think you can use them With GoPro mounts. My buddy has one and it's great.

InfinitySurf    302

@MFaso check this out. I didnt want to spend the money on gopro either and found this knockoff version called "McCool" for $50. It works just as good as gopro (it is 4k), used all last summer and used all the same accessories as gopro....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YVF9NK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was the $20 accessory kit I got for it, includes suction cup so I mount to gunnel on surf side and use a strap to tie to boat in case it falls (never did)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01171X0UW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

64gb scandisk card I got for camera...records many, many hours. Recorded all last summer and still have not filled up the card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q588D4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All in for everything was under $100. All my friends were jealous when they saw how much I paid and how good it works.

MFaso    56

Nice. I'm looking into it all now. I'm considering the session, which is $200 but $50 sounds a bit better. Hate to put $$$ towards a camera instead of another board...Thanks!

InfinitySurf    302

That was my thot too...especially since camera's seem to change regularly (better every year) and in 2yrs they are "outdated", so spending $50 for a camera for 2yrs is easy to swallow. Honestly did not expect it to be such a great camera for the money. And yea, I am ready for my next board too.

I will probably sell my Doomswell Neo this Spring, is an awesome board, but i got a SC Jordie Pro middle of last summer which is almost same shape as the Neo, just lighter and I am really enjoying it, very stable like the Neo. Next one I want is something like the Secret Weapon which is super easy to slash and maneuver so figured I will probably sell the Neo since its still in flawless condition, no point in it just sitting in storage. I am lucky to have a pro ride with me fairly often and he has a bunch of boards that I can ride/demo before I buy. I can definitely air the Secret Weapon higher since its so light and small, but harder to do spins for me at least cause I am not that great yet

Edited by InfinitySurf

Shaka    146

It takes a long time for these cameras to become, "dated". The original GoPro would be all 90% of the market would ever need. The manufacturers use marketing to create the feeling that you need to upgrade because your camera has quickly become obsolete. 

Brandon161    26

I am not knocking anyone. But it’s funny we worry about saving money on camera to put on our 70k and higher boats.  But we will drop a grand on a surfboard.  Etc.  

Once again, not knocking anyone cuz I am a cheap skate on certain things and way over spend on others. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

luluzer    50

I use a contour camer mounted to my tower. Slightly cheaper than a gopro. Video quality seems comparable to the gopro but no viewing screen.  Super light weight, same mounts and water proof. 

Edited by luluzer

InfinitySurf    302
7 hours ago, luluzer said:

I use a contour camer mounted to my tower. Slightly cheaper than a gopro. Video quality seems comparable to the gopro but no viewing screen.  Super light weight, same mounts and water proof. 

The reason I mount mine on transom closer to surfer.....is there is no zoom on many of these that I have found. Mine does not either and its already such a wide screen, just seems too far back. Been thinking of adding one of the car camera's used for reversing....just to plug it into my video screen so I can watch surfer at same time as driving. It really not needed since I have a 180 degree mirror....but I cannot seem to stop doing little things to boat to upgrade it and make it a little better each time.

luluzer    50

No zoom on the contour. Love the rearview mirror idea infinity ?.

• Like 1

49faith    4

I mount a gopro on my tower as low as I can. This is a clip of me wiping out on my brother's Ri257 which has to have a mount a little higher up than my S21. I run a plugged in cable to the rear locker 12v so I don't have to worry about battery life and just leave my tablet on a window mount ready to start/stop record.