InfinitySurf

Added step in back seat to not tear vinyl seams

InfinitySurf    302

Pictures below....So I did my afternoon project, been wanting to add a step like some of the brand new boats have since the seams are already splitting from people having to step on back seat to get up to transom....obviously the NEW vinyl skin is not installed yet, but wanted to put it together so I could see what it would look like, etc. I will remove the top piece of HDPE and then they will remove old vinyl and install the new skin with foam backing OVER the HDPE blocks I installed in the cutout in the cushion foam. New skins should all be installed in next 2-3 weeks

So 1st I cut out the cushion foam the same size as my 2 blocks of HDPE which are 12" wide X 10" deep X 1 1/2" thick (so total of 3" when put together)....then I drilled holes and secured them, countersinking the screws and doing it from both sides so it would be secure (I used a router to put a round edge on the top piece so when vinyl presses down there is no sharp edge to catch on), then from under the seat, I drilled and installed 6 screws into the doubled up blocks to hold it securely into place so they can install the new skin in place and it will not move.

Then I drilled holes (this HDPE is PITA to drill cause you can only do 1/4" at a time since the hard plastic does not come out like wood shavings, but well worth the time). I used heavy duty deck screws guaranteed to not corrode or rust and they are painted to also help protect them. Then I installed the black top of HDPE piece that is slightly textured and will act as the step (3/8" thick X 14" wide X 12" deep so it overhangs the bottom pieces about 1" on all 4 sides, I used a router the top (1/4" bit) and bottom edges (1/8" bit) along outsides since it will press down on the vinyl and I don't want tears and it makes it look better since its exposed, obviously I do not have my GatorStep yet to install over it and I am going to look into possibly having a piece of aluminum made instead of using this black HDPE since some have mentioned that GatorStep may not stick well to it, not sure about that yet? But this way I have a template for the screw holes no matter what I use, since vinyl will be fully sandwiched on the end product, there will be no cutouts on the new vinyl skin cause I am afraid that could cause wrinkles, the only place there will be any holes in the vinyl is where the 4 screws go into lower pieces and I will make holes slightly larger than screws so if pressure from sandwiching the vinyl is not enough, the screws wont start ripping the vinyl and causing me issues down road. Cost me $134 in materials for the 3) pieces of HDPE from Interstate Plastics ($100 for materials and $34 for shipping), I ordered them the exact size I wanted and they were here within 4 days, so pretty sweet. All in all, took me about 4hrs this afternoon to complete and I know for sure this will make the vinyl last longer and should also look pretty good once I get the GatorStep piece installed.

Webp.net-resizeimage (14).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (12).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (13).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (15).jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

RhuntIII    555

I like it.

Bongo Fury    640

Nice...look forward to seeing it finished!!

DrNate    426

That's a smart idea.  Wherever you have the most traffic your vinyl will wear the fastest.  Had to replace my back hatch skins this year because they see a ton of foot traffic.  Vinyl only lasting 6 years is not cool

Mrwick    65

Great project Infinity!

InfinitySurf    302

This is what my boat looked like early this afternoon, they finished getting all old vinyl/seats ripped out of boat by end of day. They were having a hell of a time getting front seat cushion off in front of drivers console since so much stuff under there in the way including the heater....hope they don't mess up any of my wiring! I am picking it up on Friday so I can polish the gelcoat and wax it on entire interior so its fresh and clean for the new install. Gonna make her shiny.

Placed an order with Aqua Marine today as well so I can install a piece over that back seat step when done, as well as add some pieces to the gunnels, the bow, replace transom walkway, putting pieces at bottom of all my cup holders to replace that cheap black stuff that falls apart and gonna replace the snap in carpet that covers the built-in cooler. They have foam that will perfectly match the stuff that came from factory on swimdeck and transom, boat is gonna look brand new when done!

Will post more pics when its all done

Vinyl torn out of boat.jpg

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555

Wow! She's naked! Why did you decide to go with the Aqua Marine brand? 

JJOcean    30

Definitely need to post some pics when she is all done!

InfinitySurf    302
10 hours ago, RhuntIII said:

Wow! She's naked! Why did you decide to go with the Aqua Marine brand? 

Cause they responded fast and also answered questions quickly....had decking to match what I already have and according to other threads I have seen, are lower cost than the other 2 big names yet same quality. Guess we will see, I have not gotten the pricing back from them yet since the mylar templates I sent them are still enroute.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

RhuntIII    555
2 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Cause they responded fast and also answered questions quickly....had decking to match what I already have and according to other threads I have seen, are lower cost than the other 2 big names yet same quality. Guess we will see, I have not gotten the pricing back from them yet since the mylar templates I sent them are still enroute.

Looking forward to hearing your reviews 

viking    491

Good idea! 

I installed hydroturf on the fiberglass under the side seats to I can pull them and set them aside for heavy traffic going in and out of the boat.  

InfinitySurf    302

I have SeaDeck installed in the corners as well and pull the back corner seats off when people are getting on/off at dock, but wanted a step in middle of back seat when getting up to walk-thru transom for surfing, etc.

Here is the boat stripped down and ready for all my new vinyl skins....I also ordered pieces from Aqua Marine Decking, they will match existing decking and putting them on the new step for back seat (also a pic of the newly skinned back seat with step mounted and ready for decking)....gonna put a piece of deck at bottom of all my cup holders since the thin stuff from factor wears out quick. On the gunnels, I have strips coming for both sides of boat so people step on that instead of my gelcoat when loading from dock, pieces for the bow for same reason....gonna replace the piece of carpet over built-in cooler with decking too. 

I go on vacation tomorrow till Friday and my boat should look brand new when i get back on Saturday cause I also just redid the entire gel-coat with cutting compound over weekend. Next weekend I will polish and wax and be ready for the water.

FYI...Cory at Evolution Covers is doing a promo right now. $110 for a fitted swim step cover, I just ordered one for my boat today. Not sure how long he is running the deal.

Transom...no vinyl.jpg

Bow....no vinyl.jpg

Step built into new vinyl skin.jpg

InfinitySurf    302

Shop just sent me pics last night since they finished install yesterday....I pick her up on way home from the beach tomorrow!

Should have the Aqua Marine decking in about 2 weeks, once I have it all put together 100%, will post final pictures

bow with filler cushion.jpg

Transom.jpg

Captain chair.jpg

back port side.jpg

Back starboard side.jpg

• Like 2
  • Like 2

Jake707    171

hot dam that looks good........ but wheres the finished pics of the step addition section.......... the whole reason of this thread haha  Ive been waiting to see this finished product.

Edited by Jake707
  • Like 1

RhuntIII    555

Man that looks good. And what Jake said, rear seat and step?

InfinitySurf    302

Lol, I had taken the back seat home before I left on vacation to install the top piece of HDPE....and it will be about 2 weeks before the Aqua Marine decking will get here....I will post complete pics when done. I pick up boat late this afternoon on way home from beach. Here is the seat....just no decking installed on step yet

Step built into new vinyl skin.jpg

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

@RhuntIII @Jake707 ...got things put together today, only missing the Aqua Marine now. I also removed the stainless pieces to clean them good with a new 303 polish that came out, looks great once shined with it, but dont want to re-install till the wax job is done. New vinyl turned out great, very happy! Only downside is there are scratches in gelcoat where they rubbed on boat, so gotta do some touchups now before i can polish and wax.

But here is the finished step in back seat except for the pieces of Aqua Marine that I am waiting on. Pumped about how this is turning out.

step n transom close up.jpg

Ful boat pic of back.jpg

InfinitySurf    302

Here are 2 more....including close up of new vinyl in bow. Again, stainless package is all removed and why that screen is exposed at bow.

step and pointed toward bow.jpg

bow close up.jpg

Mrwick    65

Super nice!   I might steal the walk way idea?.   Great job!

InfinitySurf    302
1 hour ago, Mrwick said:

Super nice!   I might steal the walk way idea?.   Great job!

Thank you! It was pretty easy and cheap to do as DIY..had I not been getting new vinyl skins, I would have just removed the existing vinyl, done my thing and then re-installed it. Been wanting to add a step since last summer to keep people from stepping on the vinyl cause after only 3 seasons the seams where stitching is were already tearing apart (weak point for sure), so this was a prefect opportunity. I gotta put that decking on step tho, the HDPE board on top of vinyl is slicker than snot on a doorknob when wearing socks, had to be really careful getting up and down today when working in boat, almost busted my A** several times.

Edited by InfinitySurf
  • Haha 1