Sign in to follow this  
Dan gib

Adding ballast to my 07 typhoon

Dan gib    8

Hello everyone so I recently purchased a 07 typhoon storm series c4. It has the factory ballast at 1250lb I believe. being bored and excited for spring I have been searching tons on adding more weight to the boat and I am looking for advice and tips. I know there is tons of convo on this online but not much on the crew or anything on my model.

So little info we will likely surf the most and also like to chill so I want all my bags to be hidden, The PO gave me 2-750 sacs and 1-500 and 1 tsunami pump. My plan is to remove the 2 hard tanks in the rear and throw the 750s back there keeping the stock hard tank in the belly and use the 500 in front or walkway if needed depending on people. I want it all plumbed and fill up fast so i plan to buy 4 1200 tsunami 2 for fill and 2 for drain. Wake makers has the kit but is $300 per each side so 600 total seems like it may include stuff I dont really need since i already have some equipment, maybe im wrong. I havent really got into the boat because its in storage since we bought it but seems like it has one jabsco fill pump and 3 small individual pumps for draining????

I Appreciate any help and discussion.

Nick213    583

I would go for the 1100# bags in the rear lockers. They'll fit.

InfinitySurf    302

X2....and the bags dont cost that much. Whatever you go with, make sure you re-inforce you divider panels. Wakemakers also sells those, or you can go to home improvement store for the stuff you need. Basically you add channel to help support the weight and keep the tracks from popping out of place.

Congrats on the new boat! Upload pics when you get it out of storage please....for $30 you can become supporting member and help support the site. Money well spent for all the help we give each other on here. Trust me, you will be asking a lot of questions.

Edited by InfinitySurf

Dan gib    8
2 hours ago, Nick213 said:

I would go for the 1100# bags in the rear lockers. They'll fit.

sweet really bc the 1000 seems to struggle to fit when i measure the compartment? also the dividers some pretty substanial already maybe they have been done. there is a aluminum track mounted to the floor in the compartment.

unfortunately  since we just bought the boat and have other areas that needed work like interior we probably will be running the 750s this year and maybe next year upgrade.

Dan gib    8
30 minutes ago, InfinitySurf said:

X2....and the bags dont cost that much. Whatever you go with, make sure you re-inforce you divider panels. Wakemakers also sells those, or you can go to home improvement store for the stuff you need. Basically you add channel to help support the weight and keep the tracks from popping out of place.

Congrats on the new boat! Upload pics when you get it out of storage please....for $30 you can become supporting member and help support the site. Money well spent for all the help we give each other on here. Trust me, you will be asking a lot of questions.

oh i see how the divider beef kit works now I was confused.

InfinitySurf    302

Nice, hope she runs great...be sure to check impeller and fluids.

The dollar store has some stuff for deep cleaning vinyl called "LA Awesome"...with soft brittle brush, its pretty badass and best i have found especially for a dollar. Just make sure after cleaning, you wipe it off with clean water and maybe some dawn soap....and most important, then condition vinyl with 303 after that. I usually use 303 at least once a week when using boat, great for conditioning and keeping vinyl soft, but doesn't deep clean to much.

A recommendation on the suck gate....instead of clipping it to boat, clip it to a boat fender or life jacket so if it does fall off, it does not get dragged behind boat since it can bang up your gelcoat. Also been known to break off with the water pressure and you could lose it. I tie mine to a boat fender, on rare occasion that it comes off, it keeps it afloat and I just circle back and pick it up, only happened twice and both times I knew it was not on right. Once you feel those suction cups "grab" a few times, you will know when its on good. I bought a Nauticurl, works awesome. What you have looks like it will work well tho, most of those are proven to work pretty similar.

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555
1 hour ago, InfinitySurf said:

A recommendation on the suck gate....instead of clipping it to boat, clip it to a boat fender or life jacket so if it does fall off, it does not get dragged behind boat since it can bang up your gelcoat. Also been known to break off with the water pressure and you could lose it. 

Excellent advise with the boat fender.

...or would that be a bumper?

Dan gib    8
1 hour ago, InfinitySurf said:

Nice, hope she runs great...be sure to check impeller and fluids.

The dollar store has some stuff for deep cleaning vinyl called "LA Awesome"...with soft brittle brush, its pretty badass and best i have found especially for a dollar. Just make sure after cleaning, you wipe it off with clean water and maybe some dawn soap....and most important, then condition vinyl with 303 after that. I usually use 303 at least once a week when using boat, great for conditioning and keeping vinyl soft, but doesn't deep clean to much.

A recommendation on the suck gate....instead of clipping it to boat, clip it to a boat fender or life jacket so if it does fall off, it does not get dragged behind boat since it can bang up your gelcoat. Also been known to break off with the water pressure and you could lose it. I tie mine to a boat fender, on rare occasion that it comes off, it keeps it afloat and I just circle back and pick it up, only happened twice and both times I knew it was not on right. Once you feel those suction cups "grab" a few times, you will know when its on good. I bought a Nauticurl, works awesome. What you have looks like it will work well tho, most of those are proven to work pretty similar.

ya the PO before selling it had engine oil changed and the impellar replaced, tho I will verify bc hes hard to believe at times to say the least haha. 

Ya I  use 303 on all my boats, I am having all the back half of the boats seat bases recovered they were the worst some ripped open the Jack that had it before me loved wearing his dad shoes all over it. 

RhuntIII    555

Dan,

You can weight that boat the same as An Avy. Look up Avalanche for weighting. Are you gonna weight it evenly and deploy the flapper?

Dan gib    8
8 hours ago, RhuntIII said:

Dan,

You can weight that boat the same as An Avy. Look up Avalanche for weighting. Are you gonna weight it evenly and deploy the flapper?

Ya I definitely will run even I don't like the idea of a listed set up.

RhuntIII    555
38 minutes ago, Dan gib said:

Ya I definitely will run even I don't like the idea of a listed set up.

If that's the case I would get the biggest bags for both port and starboard lockers and under the bench seats. I would recommend going with 4 reversible style pumps, 4 thru-hull fittings and plum to each bag. Piggybacking bags will be a problem. If you are able to run an Enzo style bag... Don't, measure the compartments for a custom fit bag. With 2 large bags you could still use the reversible pumps like I suggested and have 2 pumps per bag or you could go with the pumps you mentioned. Most of the plumbing and electric can still be found in the ballast forms. That should be pretty similar.

P10-WRC    6

I have the same boat and year.  The previous owner did exactly what you are suggesting.  He removed the stock rear hard tanks and put in 750 lb fat sacks.

I use a nauticurl wake shaper and it seems to be a decent surf wave.  I might put the bigger bags in though for times i don't have as many passengers.  Let me know if you need any pics of how it was all ran in my boat.

P10-WRC    6

I just measured my rear lockers and it's 20" wide in some spots.  I don't think the 1100 pound bags will fit because they are 24" wide.  Maybe if you made some type of platform to raise the bags though a few inches higher, the 1100 would fit.  not sure how jankey that would be though

Edited by P10-WRC

InfinitySurf    302

The water will conform to the space you have, bag does not have to perfectly fit opening if its larger in areas. Just make sure you have re-inforced your divider panels. WakeMakers sells them, or you can get what you need at Home Depot

• Like 1

P10-WRC    6

Sweet. Looks like I’m gonna step my game up. Is there a used market for 750 lb quick connect fat sacks?

Nick213    583

Not of the bag in the locker but here is the list on my avy with 1100 in locker, 580 under bench seat and 400# of lead in rear locker. Oops I forgot, it was a light crew that day so we also had a 400# bag on the seat.

IMG_0506.JPG

Edited by Nick213