Loonlake

First boat purchase. Be gentle...

Loonlake    2

Hey all. I'm new to this forum, as well as new to the boat buying game. I've been lucky enough to have an uncle with a super air nautique that runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday pretty much through our whole short summer in Northern Saskatchewan. Been wakeboarding behind any fishing boat/pontoon boat/power boat that could pull me for many years but he got me hooked on surfing. I'm at the point where I can sign on the line and own a surf machine for myself and have it down to 2 rides. There's a dealer that has a 2009 SV220 for $55000, and a local that has a 2013 FX-22 for $65000. I love the look of the hammerhead on the FX-22, the touch screen ballast setup, overall fit and finish is awesome, everything looks awesome actually. But i've noticed theres way more of the SV line out there. Is there known issues with the FX-22 that I can't find on the internet or where they just not as popular because of the different look??  Any info anyone can provide would be awesome. 

Nick213    583

You'd probably be happier with the fx22, it has ramfill and is newer.... it's gonna have better resale value as well. Not sure on the conditions or hours from your post but if the fx22 is in good condition I'd go with that. Your probably not seeing much on the fx because they only made the fx model for one year then changed it to fs. 

InfinitySurf    302

FX seems to be the better deal from the few details you posted, $10k to jump from an 09 to 13 is very reasonable especially cause technology came quite a ways during that time, Ramfill did not come out till 2014 but sure it has plenty of room for ballast and it may have QuickFill. How many hours on the boats and what engine in the FX? The ZR409 is a proven engine and does great. You could slam that boat till it almost sinks and with right prop the 409 will still get you up. I think its about an even mix of people that like hammerhead bow vs traditional. Hammerhead gives you a bit more bow space. Personally I like them both and for me it would be about the deal, I could do either looks and think most people feel the same, there are always a few that only like one or the other, but doubt that would be a deal breaker for most people.

I was gonna say those price seem at higher end of spectrum for those years, but realizing you are from Canada it makes sense with exchange rates. Check it out well, check history on the boat and try to get maintaince records. Sounds like you have seen them both in person. Good luck and welcome. Make sure you sign up to be a supporting member when you buy, well worth the couple dollars for the wealth of info on this site and helps keep it up and running so we can all help each other.

Loonlake    2

Hey thanks for the info. Yes they're both beautiful looking boats, the FX being the better looking of the two I think. The FX22 does have the ZR409 engine also which did attract me as well. Condition is top notch on both boats with 117 hours on the FX22 and just over 300 on the SV220. I guess I was mostly concerned about how few of the FX22s I was able to find when I searched for them. Good to hear they weren't a one and done necessarily. I've been looking at prices down south also and with the exchange rate it would only cost you $50,659.70 to buy a $65,000 boat in Canada. Gotta be a screamin good deal for me to drive down and pick one up down there but anyone from below the border could sure find a steal right about now if they're up for a drive.

Hey thanks again for any info. Much appreciated and If everything works out at the bank tomorrow I'll be tossin 30 bucks towards a membership and posting pictures in the near future!

Tleeah    33

I just traded my FX22 in for a new FI23.  The hardest decision was that we absolutely loved our FX22.  Our FX22 had one of the best surf waves on the lake,  best stereo system, and looked great.  It was hard to part with it.  You can get a great surf wave listing the boat or with a suck gate.  You add about 300# of lead and it is out of this world good.  The FX22 looks great on the water too.  

FX22 wave.JPG

fx22 4.jpg

• Like 1

HutchCanada    4

I'm in Canada and bought my Centurion in the US.  Huge savings even after paying 13% at the border on top of the exchange.  I can walk you through the process Loonlake if you decide to go that route.  It's pretty straight forward 

mrrpfc4    38

I’m  currently on a Ri257, But my past two boats were a FS44, and a SV233, I have ridden  behind  a FX22  and to be honest I was super impressed with the boat, I could not believe the wave that, that 22 foot boat put out I think you will be super happy with it if that’s the route you choose to take 

Edited by mrrpfc4

Bongo Fury    640

If memory serves me right the SV220 was more of a cross over design and did not have the Deep V hull.  Similar to the Falcon V hull we had.   It surfed ok but you had to slam it.  If surfing is your game you may want to look into that to ensure you get the deep V like the FX has.

I may have a 2014 SV 233 with 150 hours and four years left of warranty on it for sale soon. Yes it has four years it was left over sold new to me in May 2017.

• Like 1

Loonlake    2

Hey sorry I haven't replied. Had some trouble getting signed back into the site. I'm in Loon Lake, Saskatchewan. I did end up going with the FX-22. We've been surfing the past three weekends! Water temp was 60 when we started and up to 67 in the small lakes as of 2 days ago. Love the boat so far. I need to do some tweaking to the surf wave yet but It's been awesome and really turns heads. First centurion in this area of the country! 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Post up some pictures.....and congrats!

You can use this link to resize pics so they are small enough to post.

http://www.resizeimage.net/