Sign in to follow this  

Tleeah    33

The Lifefourm look well built.  That is important to stay water tight.  

Shaka    146

I get to look at a lot of these at Powell every year so I'll weigh in.

Lumitec is great. The shade of blue is deep, vibrant, and looks great in the water. Two Seablaze X do a great job but four Seablaze 3's do an even better job. Look great stopped and when you're at speed.

Lifeform is probably the best bang for the buck out there. However, their blue is lighter than the Lumitec (or most other brands) so they get docked a few points. If the color doesn't bother you they look great when you're stopped and when you're at speed.

Shadowcaster makes a great light period. Better than those listed above but maybe not worth the extra cash. Still if money is no object.....

Liquid Lumens are right up there with Shadowcaster and possibly go beyond. With that said they have new offerings that are competing with the Lumitec and Lifeform price point and most likely are just as good. I hoping to get a look at their budget lights this summer.

Cheap lights look great when you're sitting still but virtually disappear once your boat starts moving.

I was set to go with the Lifeform 9s but I always held off because I wanted that deeper blue. The Liquid Lumens guys got me a good price at the Utah Boat Show this year on their Pipeline model so I bought a pair for my Enzo. I'm excited to see how these guys look.

Tleeah    33

What is interesting, my Lumitecs on the houseboat will illuminate aft of the boat and the aft sides of the boat when I am underway.  They do have a nice deep blue color for sure.  

DjOM21    59

What about the M50 Water Dragons that the factory uses?

https://www.covertlights.com/M50-xx12-1/

They claim to be 5500 Lumens each on the 12 Diode model. Which seems to be higher than the life form 9  for example for a comparable price.

• Thanks 1

Wylie_Tunes    146

@DjOM21

Since we cannot use advertised lumens to compare between manufacturers, we have to toss it out and use something else. At present, current draw in 12V amps, is the best method. The light you linked puts its current between 2.25 and 2.75 amps. The LF 9 is sated at 2.7A. That should put their brightness pretty close. Flood v's spot can also play into how lights look in the water compared to others.  

Jake707    171

is there not a standard for lumens output and that's why that number cannot be used for comparison? Is that across the board for all types of lights, shop lights, flash lights, etc?

h20king    794
7 minutes ago, Jake707 said:

is there not a standard for lumens output and that's why that number cannot be used for comparison? Is that across the board for all types of lights, shop lights, flash lights, etc?

Lumens are used as false advertising for led lights. You have to look at the amp draw of the light. The higher the draw the brighter the light 

Jake707    171

Thanks H. I ask cuz Im actually comparing a couple different LED shop lights for my garage right now and was looking at the lumens numbers listed as part of the comparison. I will pull the specs of each and see if there is amp draw info listed to use instead.

Edited by Jake707

Wylie_Tunes    146

@Jake707

No, there is no industry standard on with what devise and under what conditions and parameters are underwater lights to the measured. Way too many variables to be able to use brand A's lumens to brand B's lumens. Only way to make the comparison is to have a 3rd party measure them all using the same meter, same method and with a controlled supply voltage. This was done by Grant West and posted somewhere. Sadly, its outdated as there are a number of new players both with cheap and quality lights. 

Amp draw is not perfect or absolute, but its the best we have as an end consumer.    

InfinitySurf    302

I have heard a lot of great things about Liquid Lumen underwater lights and I like the designs they make, look solid and quality made, someone recently did a comparison between them and Shadow Casters, both seemed great from the reviews but think I remember the LL lights coming out a bit ahead in that comparison. They are both spendy, but all good underwater LED lights are.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Need to keep in mind that that shadow caster v's LL was between shadow caster's existing SC line and not including their new SRC and SCY lights. 

@InfinitySurf skinny dip blue are in-bound if you want to see them in person

Shaka    146
10 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

I have heard a lot of great things about Liquid Lumen underwater lights and I like the designs they make, look solid and quality made, someone recently did a comparison between them and Shadow Casters, both seemed great from the reviews but think I remember the LL lights coming out a bit ahead in that comparison. They are both spendy, but all good underwater LED lights are.

Do you have a link?

InfinitySurf    302
16 hours ago, Wylie_Tunes said:

Need to keep in mind that that shadow caster v's LL was between shadow caster's existing SC line and not including their new SRC and SCY lights. 

@InfinitySurf skinny dip blue are in-bound if you want to see them in person

I would, tho I found that night surfing with my platform LED and tower LED lights is pretty sweet and not sure I need the underwater due to how my boat is setup now. I honestly did not expect it to do half as well with my existing setup. Expected to have my boat back by now and wanted to bring it to you for a couple misc things, but after boat show everyone got slammed and its taking longer than I hoped at dealer. Hopefully soon. Seriously LOVE those covers you got me for the REV-8 speakers on tower. They stay so much cleaner now and well protected.

h20king    794
15 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

I would, tho I found that night surfing with my platform LED and tower LED lights is pretty sweet and not sure I need the underwater due to how my boat is setup now. I honestly did not expect it to do half as well with my existing setup. Expected to have my boat back by now and wanted to bring it to you for a couple misc things, but after boat show everyone got slammed and its taking longer than I hoped at dealer. Hopefully soon. Seriously LOVE those covers you got me for the REV-8 speakers on tower. They stay so much cleaner now and well protected.

You use them in conjunction with your other lights. When set up properly the lights make the wake glow but is not enough light on there own. When used with tower light's it elevates the experience. 

• Like 1

Shaka    146
On 2/24/2018 at 6:04 AM, h20king said:

You use them in conjunction with your other lights. When set up properly the lights make the wake glow but is not enough light on there own. When used with tower light's it elevates the experience. 

We've found that the right underwater lights provide plenty of light for night surfing. I've got buddies that have Shadowcaster, LifeForm, Liquid Lumens, and Lumitec and all illuminate the wave plenty for surfing. I think the lake you're on plays a part on how the effect works.

With that said a couple of those guys also have blue flood LED's on their tower that enhances the effect. I'm going to get a Rigid Dually flood with a blue lens this year so I can experiment with it.